a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

General Denis Mistral

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
General Denis Mistral has been appointed as the new commander of the Légion étrangère (COMLE).

SnafuSmite

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
miniature.jpeg

Né en 1966, à Marseille, le général Denis Mistral, est saint-cyrien de la promotion Tom Morel (87 – 90). Officier de cavalerie, il est marié, et a trois enfants. Officier de la Légion d’honneur, il a la croix de la valeur militaire avec cinq citations.

Du 1er août 1991 au 31 juillet 1993, il est affecté au 3e régiment de Cuirassiers à Chènevrières, comme chef de peloton AMX 30 B2. Il effectue une mission de six mois en ex-Yougoslavie, à la tête d’une section d’appelés du contingent.

Le 1er août 1993, il est affecté au 1er régiment étranger de cavalerie, à Orange, comme chef de peloton. Il effectue une mission de 5 mois à Sarajevo en tant qu’officier adjoint d’escadron. Du 26 juillet 1996 au 27 juillet 1998, il commande le 1er escadron du 1errégiment étranger de cavalerie. Durant ce temps de commandement, il effectue une mission de deux mois à Mayotte.

Du 1er août 1998 au 31 juillet 2002, il est affecté à l’Ecole Nationale des Sous-Officiers d’Active (ENSOA), comme adjoint en bataillon d’élèves, puis comme chef de cellule évaluation examens. Il est stagiaire du cours supérieur d’état-major de janvier à juin 2002.

Du 1er août 2002 au 31 juillet 2003, il suit la scolarité du Joint Services Command and Staff College à Shrivenham en Grande-Bretagne.

Du 1er août 2003 au 31 juillet 2005, il est nommé chef du bureau opérations et instruction du 1er régiment étranger de cavalerie. Il effectue deux missions en République de Côte d’Ivoire, comme chef de groupement tactique Corymbe, puis comme chef des opérations du groupement tactique interarmes n°2 basé à Man.

Du 1er août 2005 au 1er août 2007, il sert à l’état-major de l’armée de Terre, comme chef de section à l’état-major opérationnel Terre. Puis, il est rédacteur au bureau « plans » jusqu’en 2008, date à laquelle il prend la fonction d’assistant militaire au général Major Général de l’armée de Terre.

De juillet 2009 à juillet 2011, il commande le 4e régiment étranger, à Castelnaudary.

Il quittera le régiment pour rejoindre la 61esession du CHEM et la 64e session de l’IHEDN, jusqu’en juin 2012.

De juillet 2012 à juin 2014, il occupe la fonction de secrétaire général de l’état-major au commandement de la Force Terrestre, à Lille. Il effectuera une mission, en tant que colonel adjoint de la brigade Serval, au Mali.

De juin 2014 à juillet 2015, il est engagé dans l’opération SERVAL, puis BARKHANE, comme représentant du COMANFOR pour le partenariat élargi.

En août 2015, il rejoint la division emploi des forces de l’état-major des armées, comme chef de bureau emploi 1.

Nommé général de brigade le 1er août 2017, il prend le commandement des éléments français au Sénégal (COMELEF).

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
I just got a photo from Ossie O. today, it shows the General Maurin, about to leave the gates of Aubagne for the last time. Please note the musette (small backpack) on his back :). If I remember correctly sticking out of the musette is a French loaf, a saucisson (see below).

1532849142838.jpeg
A pair of épaulettes de traditon, a bidon (metal army canteen) full of... wine, with its metal cup
1532849470096.jpeg
and a pair of Rangers are attached to it on the outside.

1532849576341.jpeg

Ossie, says that he was his first Captain CDU (Commandant d'Unité, Company commander) in 3e Cie/2e REP, when he got to Calvi.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
While I'm rambling on, I mentioned the other day that I was a fut fut. And that I was récupéré by my old SOA (Sous-Officier Adjoint, Platoon Sergeant) from Guyane. His name was Buffet. Why I mention this is because his brother was in 1ère Cie/2e REP, and they both took part in the Kolwezi jump. The brother went on to become an officer. I ran into him during my last 11 months in whilst in the Museum. He was capitaine adjoint (Executive Officer) of the company I was in.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Yes it most certainly does. A crossman, from 2 REI. Italian and ****. He was put in the 4th section with another ***, Payet. I'll never forget working down in the Centre Amphibie on the Zodiacs - I'd done a stage with the Marine Nationale (French Navy) whilst in CECAP (Djibouti). Anyway I've spoken about that in the past.

They (4th section) were doing a recap of the stage nageur de reconnaisance. I come back from lunch and find a line up of FAMAS on the Zodiacs launch area ( for want of a better word) or where they put the Zodiacs in the water. I look around for the sentinelle who is supposed to be guarding the rifles.

A bit of a background here, before I carry on. The CA is right on the beach. Where the zodiacs are put into the water, is a river, called the Figarella, which flows from the mountains. A little further up from there is a camp site called Les pieds dans l'eau:unsure:. The incident has taken place during summer.

Ok back to my story... anyway I can't see the sentinel anywhere. I go inside where the hangar for the zodiacs is and call out for him. No answer, and still no sign of him or the section who has gone off palming. So what do I do... I take one of the FAMAS and hide it and then keep watch that there are no tourists looking for a souvenir. The Figarella river ran through the camp site and they hired out boats. And this is during the summer.

When the section comes back and find that they are missing a FAMAS all hell breaks loose. I was asked asked several times if I'd seen anyone taking a FAMAS or in the vicinity :rolleyes:. I mean can you believe it, it's almost as if I was being accused :mad:.

The CDU is informed and comes down and then all hell really breaks loose. In the end it's me who 'finds' it and everyone, except the CDU, Payet, and Evangalista calm down. For anyone who has been in the military they will think that this story is a load of bullsh*t, However, up to now I don't think that I've posted any sh*t.

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
Evangelista, rings a bell ?
Of course, it does... :D

90147_20141113_83396_nanopress_it_ev1.jpg

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Payet... A Réunionais?
Lt Evangelista was Officier de Securité in 2e REI 2010. Then, went back to the REP as a Captain... 1ère Cie, I believe.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Well heaven help the 1ère. Giovanni, if I remember rightly.
Yes Payet was a Réunionais. Always snorting and had a problem with his fingers. To the point he was chef de section during the défilé du 14 juillet and had to put clear cellotape around them to keep them straight. The two of them made a right pair.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Yes, Giovanni (retired, married). Mle 167...
Paid me a couple of beers, while my son did press ups and abdos. OS office
Another Italien you surely know
Moiera (sp?) 167. .too . Passed officer. Now retired and living in Guyane
We gamble together in the PMU
Did his transport (my van) to his new flat

Payet was in my section in the CCS SRCM...retired, bought an appartement in Nîmes. Haven't seen him in years, (no big loss).