a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

General Question Concerning Recruitment

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I have recently graduated with a Masters in International Relations from University in the United States and am considering the FFL for my next challenge. I have varying reasons behind wanting to join, the biggest of which is not explainable but they also include tradition as well as I find complete honor in fighting with the Legion, adventure and brotherhood. I also considered commissioning in the United States but due to a waiver for PTSD as a child, I'm unable to. I meet all of the physical requirements and have a basic understanding of French (2 years in University).

I have two questions: first, is there a cycle for processing and basic training or do recruits just show up and they process them once they have enough for a class? I could not find an answer anywhere, I just want to make sure that if I arrive I won't be hunkering down in pre-processing forever if the next class is not scheduled anytime soon. Second, I found that the FFL does not allow for medical disorders so long as there is not any treatment ongoing during basic. I haven't been "treated" in nearly 7 years (I'm 25 now) and so long as I get a chance to show what I can do, I know I can do it.

Thank you in advance.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Hi Kyle, congratulations on achieving your Masters, You are going to have to work hard in convincing the recruiters that you will stay the full five years with so much going for you. Not point in giving me your reasons I'm not the recruiter. If I was I'd like to hear honest reasons such as “I wanted to finish my education so that I had more to offer the Legion. I feel that later on in my career, having trained my self to study, it will help me to pass exams to further promotion - perhaps even to become an officer.”
As for the PTSD, as you say it is cured and there are no outward signs, it's up to you.

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
You could say you have been a bike courier for 7 years love the outdoors have read a book or two on the legion in your younger days and you want to follow your dreams not to keen on US politics and foreign policy just a different angle and keeps it simple and the learning French is part of the long time motivation to reach your goal of joining the Legion!

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Thank you both for your responses. My college career began from wanting to commission and I tried for Navy EOD, just couldn’t get my hands on that’s waiver and the Masters was cost free for me so of course I was going to take it! I feel confident that I can present myself in a way other than a fly by night commando wannabe type. Thank you both again. And just to make sure since I haven’t found a solid answer on this, I can show up any time out of the year and begin the process correct?

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
The door is always open. Don't mention your previous medical problems at all, or the door will close.

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
If you join directly at Aubagne, since there's a regular stream of candidates showing up for selection, you won't wait very long, if at all, before the process starts and, more importantly, you won't wait too long either, if you're selected, before being sent to Castelnaudary for basic training. I'd say, one or two days max for the former and max one week for the latter (to get a full batch of new recruits to send).
It's another story if you join at another recruiting station (e.g. Fort de Nogent, near Paris).

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
(...) It's another story if you join at another recruiting station (e.g. Fort de Nogent, near Paris).
I've thought about this quite often. There may be a quota for those joining outside of Aubagne. If there are too many valid candidates arriving in Aubagne, are they then going to say to FdN or an other PRLE, including Tahiti, OK we can only take two from you and three from you...
Remembering that to send the recruit down to Aubagne (and back) is coming out of the Legion's annual budget. I have no proof of this and it is just an opinion.

Reaction score
Home Country
Vatican City State
So, what would be best? Heading down to Aubagne, or suck it up go to Paris? I recall one post mentioned going to Aubagne is awkward because it's such a long distance and if they reject you, you're far south France and not close to big cities. Legion may not return enough for you to get a flight home.
They also said the smaller Legion posts/areas might not be ideal due to their small size.

SnafuSmite

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
I've thought about this quite often. There may be a quota for those joining outside of Aubagne. If there are too many valid candidates arriving in Aubagne, are they then going to say to FdN or an other PRLE, including Tahiti, OK we can only take two from you and three from you...
Remembering that to send the recruit down to Aubagne (and back) is coming out of the Legion's annual budget. I have no proof of this and it is just an opinion.
It only makes sense. I doubt it has a massive impact, but why not stack the cards more in your favour? Also it speeds up the process of getting to Castel I think.

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
So, what would be best? Heading down to Aubagne, or suck it up go to Paris? I recall one post mentioned going to Aubagne is awkward because it's such a long distance and if they reject you, you're far south France and not close to big cities. Legion may not return enough for you to get a flight home.
They also said the smaller Legion posts/areas might not be ideal due to their small size.
You only get a train ticket to the place you first went to enlist if you get rejected. If you have the money or credit card to get home, try to join in Aubagne.

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
We never new or thought about get turned away honestly think lack of information made a different type of guy join times have moved on manual labour is not the norm! Gloving up and going in the ring was to keep us away from drinking and some loose weights so trying to get to grips with worrying about your personal fitness very few coming on the form saying I’m fit I’m of and I will let you no. Just winds me up.

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
So, what would be best? Heading down to Aubagne, or suck it up go to Paris? (...)
That's an hackneyed debate, discussed soooo many times... Joining in a recruiting post other than Aubagne will make the selection process longer. On the other hand you won't have to pay for the return ticket between the recruiting post you joined and Aubagne... and, having spent more days in the Legion for recruiting, you'll get a little more money if you're rejected during the selection process.
It essentially depends on your planned port of entry into France. If the plan is for example to fly to Paris CDG airport, then ask yourself the question : am I willing/do I have the money to pay for my return ticket (plane, train, bus, whatever suits you) between Paris and Aubagne? If you're coming from a country with direct flights to Marseille (e.g. UK), and want to be processed asap, then fly to MRS airport and take a short ride to Aubagne. It's not rocket science for God's sake... The rest is speculation.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Rail strikes still on going (as from tonight until sunday. ..it will be chaos travelling)

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Just in case there is : fly to Marseille-Provence airport. Taxi from there to Aubagne, or by bus to Marseile and bus again to Aubagne.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
1 REG now recruiting reservists for the creation of a 5th company. French nationality only.

Source : Midi Libre

Reaction score
Home Country
Egypt
Just in case there is : fly to Marseille-Provence airport. Taxi from there to Aubagne, or by bus to Marseile and bus again to Aubagne.
Bus, bus, bus. Last time I rode a taxi in France I paid 50 € in Paris from the airport to Porte de Montreuil that's like a 1000 pounds really a lot. Ony my way back, I just went to Nation via metro and from there a bus to the airport for just 3 euros (had 5 days ticket allowance on metro 3 zones for 31 €).

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Taxi drivers, especially in Marseile and Nîmes are rip off merchants
Very same thing in Belgrade. If you are foreigner there is really big possibility that you gone get ripped off especially if you take taxi from airport.