Getting kicked out of US Army

Silvermar

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
Hello everyone,

A little less than a year ago I enlisted in the US Army as a 18x SF candidate. Went to OSUT, airborne school and the prep course for special forces selection. During this time the background investigators found something in my past that I lied about in my security clearance paperwork and now I'm looking at a discharge for lying.
The military is something I always wanted to do and I loved being in the army so this is quite dissapointing. With this discharge I have nothing left, no home, no car, just some money I've made during my time. Apparently it would be hard to get a job with this kind of discharge so seeing as I don't have a lot left here in the States I thought the Legion would be a good fit.
I am a 20 year old male in pretty good shape. I'm wondering what the ‘gestapo’ and psychologist would think of all this though? Should I even mention it or just pretend my time in the army never happened? Just this and I have a red green color deficiency would be the only things going against me. Thanks.

Rapace

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
France
Hard to give an ascertained reply without knowing what caused the termination of your contract in the US Military. From what I've read so far on the board, however, it seems they are much stricter than the Legion, so, if you're lucky, if we're only talking petty crime, this might not be an issue.
The colour blindness is more problematic though. Did the US Army recruiters know this issue when you joined, and, if yes, what did they say?

Nickfury

Top Member
Reaction score
Wandering the Earth like Caine from Kung Fu.
Best answers
Home Country
San Marino
Hello everyone,

A little less than a year ago I enlisted in the US Army as a 18x SF candidate. Went to OSUT, airborne school and the prep course for special forces selection. During this time the background investigators found something in my past that I lied about in my security clearance paperwork and now I'm looking at a discharge for lying.
The military is something I always wanted to do and I loved being in the army so this is quite dissapointing. With this discharge I have nothing left, no home, no car, just some money I've made during my time. Apparently it would be hard to get a job with this kind of discharge so seeing as I don't have a lot left here in the States I thought the Legion would be a good fit.
I am a 20 year old male in pretty good shape. I'm wondering what the ‘gestapo’ and psychologist would think of all this though? Should I even mention it or just pretend my time in the army never happened? Just this and I have a red green color deficiency would be the only things going against me. Thanks.
Don't mention it. Say you couldn't even get in due to some past problem that prevented you from joining the US military and limits your options at home... t's close to the truth and avoids the military question (was it a criminal charge? If it was drugs or psych problems do not mention it). Just be 100% consistent with your story.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
Hi Silvermar and welcome to the forum. As Nick says if it is related to drugs think of another story. I'd advice coming clean about ex-military service because it may come back on you. You will be asked if you have served in your own army. The color blindness will be more of a problem. Green and Red are the colors of the Legion and you will be checked for color blindness. There is a charter called SIGYCOP the Y stands for yeux (eyes) in this case sight and the C for couleurs (colors).

There aren't that many military checks for color blindness the ones that are used nowadays is the Ishinara test.
http://www.color-blindness.com/ishiharas-test-for-colour-deficiency-38-plates-edition/

In my day we had the test in Fort de Nogent before being sent down to Aubagne. Not only was it numbers but also animals. It has changed since then and I'm pretty sure that it is the Ishinara test. Now I'm not saying learn which numbers come before those that you can't read, but then again I'm not the one who is joining. I don't think that it is done like the eye chart (snellen test) where they just point to a letter.

But for the moment let's hope that it all works out with US military.