Getting military experience before joining the Legion?

VonQuixote

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Austria
How important is the question if you served in army yet?
I'v seen online that it is not mandatory requirement, but again, they pay attention to that, right?
I can join my country's army as an volunteer for 3 months service, but i am pretty sure i would get out of the shape then, since physical training for volunteers is a big joke.

So, should i do that first? Or go straight for the FFL, when i'm very fit.

A

ahun1743

Unregistered
Military training is not mandatory but greatly increases chances of getting in and surviving.

With that being said, 3 months is hardly enough to be called "service," more of a stint really.

Grupo_Ocho

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
Military training is not mandatory but greatly increases chances of getting in and surviving.

With that being said, 3 months is hardly enough to be called "service," more of a stint really.
or a few years at West Point...no one in the military considers that "real world military training" except for the AD schools cadets are allowed to attend and generally pass at a higher rate than AD troops.

I waited a few weeks before replying to this thread, the fact is no one considers college time and ROTC time at a military academy any where near the equivalent to active duty military service with the exception of active duty military schools usually attended in the summers by "cadets" And the fact is during my time /early late 60's-early 70's, cadets took the same shit but passes en-mass. Just a reality of the times. May be different now but it certainly was not during that period.

Different time and insulting comments mean nothing to that period of American history. I wish you the best Canuck in your career as we are the same team.

O-G. Jefferson was spot on.

Last edited:
OP
V

VonQuixote

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Austria
Yeah i get what you're saying. But i'm talking about basic things, like shooting a gun, firing from a grenade launcher or even just about basic life in the army.
It would suck to go there and to see i'm the only one that doesn't know what to do, or to discover that i'm afraid of guns or some sh** like that.

A

ahun1743

Unregistered
or a few years at West Point "hun"...no one in the military considers that "real world military training" except for the schools "cadets" are allowed to attend and generally pass at a higher rate than AD troops.
Actually when I was at airborne and air assault schools, they purposely it harder and more difficult for us, simply because we were from West Point.

I do understand where you are coming from, West Point cadets generally try to show off, I certainly know a few who did it very well and are in the US Army right now. However, disregarding OCS, West Point cadets blow away ROTC in terms of actual military knowledge and training. I myself got the airborne and air assault badges, something that ROTC cadets never have a chance to get. Still, I do understand your POV.

W

Weseefromage

Unregistered
You don't need to have anything at all, that's the whole point goddamnit. You'll get the training you want for, if you're game... They'll make you a real soldier, no problem at all what your background is from before.

SLehman

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Canada
or a few years at West Point "hun"...no one in the military considers that "real world military training" except for the schools "cadets" are allowed to attend and generally pass at a higher rate than AD troops.
Ocho'

Two points, 1. Thanks for you service and 2. As a Canuck, what does AD stand for in AD troops?

Steve

W

Weseefromage

Unregistered
Thanks, Mr. Loustic. I'm glad the "dislike" button is finally coming into proper usefulness! Better to die than live a coward. Yeah, right.

A

ahun1743

Unregistered
Oh someone actually answering the question. Thanks.
Most anciens start talking about random shit, very annoying, I know. I've found the most difficult thing on this forum is to actually have a single straight answer to your questions.

Hitsuji

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Slovenia
I'v seen online that it is not mandatory requirement, but again, they pay attention to that, right?
I can join my country's army as an volunteer for 3 months service, but i am pretty sure i would get out of the shape then, since physical training for volunteers is a big joke.

So, should i do that first? Or go straight for the FFL, when i'm very fit.
Its not like they will put virginity belt for training on you, you can always train on your own. I also served for 16 weeks in Slovenian army and although the training was good many trained additionally on their own. You can always train after the work hours which were until 17:00 h, you could go to the fitness (many did as we had access to one on our base), you could train outside on the bars and obstacle course even though it was discouraged by the commanders (no one did because it was freaking cold, coldest winter in the decades), also many went to run for hour or so on their own, we also had access to the gas masks I didn't personally run because of an injury but if I did I would have used the gas mask. You can also train on your own during instruction as we did, for example, when they send us to practice orientation outside we would do push ups on our own on every rotation etc Training is not an excuse ! I was in extremely good pfisical condition my starting grade when we came on PT test was 3 and I thought I was good at the time in the end it was 5, If it weren't for injury I had I would have scored 300 points I'm sure.

Also you should go you will discover if you like or hate military life, you will get shocked on day to day level as no one gives a feck what you want, you will be ordered around, clean the toilets and dorms, learn how to make bed and fold your clothes and put other items in order in your locker and many more things not to mention shooting and bombs (awesome). And don't you dare to insult army until you served, even the worst African training is better than none ! I was also told by those that didn't serve or those that watched to many movies before going that Slovenian army was a joke, so I expected to stay inside when it rained when I first went and to postpone training boy was I surprised :D but I prefer it that way :D

It is basic training, our countries think that's enough to make a soldier and in case of war will be sent to combat zone immediately (if they can catch us :D) and its far more than many during history got and even today get before being sent to war. Not sure what its called in English but in my military document it say's soldier (until my generation it was rifleman/shooter, we got new classification).

OP
V

VonQuixote

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Austria
Thanks for the answer, it sounds very encouraging! I was not sure if you're able to train on your own, i thought you don't have free time, so 'm glad to have that wrong :D
That's exactly the stuff i was talking about, i mean Legion is real deal, should first get an impression on whole army life thing, because yes, i like it like this, watching stuff on internet about it but i could get pretty shocked first time i get to taste it on my own. :)
And i agree with you, some training is better than none, but thing is i was training for the Foreign Legion, and now i'll have to serve with guys that can't run for more than 3km. It's a bit downgrading but if you say that i can train there on my own, the it's problem solved i guess. Although i don't thing we'll be having any gyms in out bases :D

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
South Africa
Sorry for the thread hijack, but as you can see I'm from South Africa and our military is extremely bad. I guess getting military experience in the South African army is a no go?

canuckroyal

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Canada
It's too bad this stupid tribalism still exists in our respective militaries. We are one team!

Jefferson'86

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
VQ,

A straight ansqwer from a Green. I admire your curiosity.

The Legion in essence, is a culture shock. Anything you can do to lessen that will increase your chance of success.

Language and fitness and attitude are the most important. Forget joiing some broke=dick unit for the training because it will all be sh:t and actually conflict with what you might find in the Legion.

Learn French and your burdens will be significantly lessened.
#
To other matters,

AS for the value of West Point in relation to service in the Legion, to my experience in both the US Army in similar units to Grupo Ocho and the Legion, I would think almost all of the Point alumni extremely incompatable and almost diametrically opposed to the values of the Legion. Although all the barracks bullshit would be useful in dealing with the joys of Castel.

Military acadamies most basic core values include instilling a strong sense of patriotism. Serving under a French flag conflicts with that at the most basic level.

The Point is designed to produce corporate managers and on occasion it turns out soldiers such as Bart Gator Ocho Chambers.

In the '70's, West Point cadets were shuffled through Ranger, Airborne at Benning and Air Assault school at Campbell in the summer. They took the shit but they were passed through without exception.

W

Weseefromage

Unregistered
Military acadamies most basic core values include instilling a strong sense of patriotism. Serving under a French flag conflicts with that at the most basic level.
Like you call it "a culture shock". You'll be something like a refugee or asylum seeker; you'll become a citizen of a whole other country that is not even officially recognised (but it's endorsed) by United Nations. Legio Patria Nostra = The Legion is our homeland.

M

Martin Scott

Unregistered
VQ,

A straight ansqwer from a Green. I admire your curiosity.

The Legion in essence, is a culture shock. Anything you can do to lessen that will increase your chance of success.

Language and fitness and attitude are the most important. Forget joiing some broke=dick unit for the training because it will all be sh:t and actually conflict with what you might find in the Legion.

Learn French and your burdens will be significantly lessened.
#
To other matters,

AS for the value of West Point in relation to service in the Legion, to my experience in both the US Army in similar units to Grupo Ocho and the Legion, I would think almost all of the Point alumni extremely incompatable and almost diametrically opposed to the values of the Legion. Although all the barracks bullshit would be useful in dealing with the joys of Castel.

The Point is designed to produce corporate managers and on occasion it turns out soldiers such as Bart Gator Ocho Chambers.

In the '70's, West Point cadets were shuffled through Ranger, Airborne at Benning and Air Assault school at Campbell in the summer. They took the shit but they were passed through without exception.
Merci Jeff.The Brigade of Guards gave me a good insight especially the Castel Bull.

Ex-Pongo

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Scotland
I never served in the Legion, but during selection, a couple of times I thought 'This wouldn't happen in the Brit Army....'
So maybe having military training in your army could be a hinderance, all that de-programming of your Austrian Army training whilst the Legion teach you how to kill their way.
Having said that, plenty people have served before joining the FFL. Best of luck.