a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Getting military experience before joining the Legion?

Ex-Pongo

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Scotland
Your words are too harsh for health. It's not called a killing, it's called defence. Whether they like it or not.

Ah, excuse me mate, no offence intended, just the way I talk. I will rephrase that 'Teach you how to soldier their (the FFL) way'
Sorry.

VonQuixote

Reaction score
Home Country
Austria
VQ,

A straight ansqwer from a Green. I admire your curiosity.

The Legion in essence, is a culture shock. Anything you can do to lessen that will increase your chance of success.

Language and fitness and attitude are the most important. Forget joiing some broke=dick unit for the training because it will all be sh:t and actually conflict with what you might find in the Legion.

Learn French and your burdens will be significantly lessened.

Thanks for the answer! Much appreciated!
Now, I know it won't be nothing like Legion, but i meant more like learning to shoot a gun, getting used to discipline, learning basic orders and that kind of stuff, since i'm just a civil with no clue about anything.
I don't really believe that if i go to Legion doors and say i am 19 year old, that has no experience in the army, they will take me for serious, (i really hope i'm wrong)
And thanks for admiring the curiosity, there's a looot of it :D

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Thanks for the answer! Much appreciated!
Now, I know it won't be nothing like Legion, but i meant more like learning to shoot a gun, getting used to discipline, learning basic orders and that kind of stuff, since i'm just a civil with no clue about anything.
I don't really believe that if i go to Legion doors and say i am 19 year old, that has no experience in the army, they will take me for serious, (i really hope i'm wrong)
And thanks for admiring the curiosity, there's a looot of it :D

don't worry mate, you will not be the only one hoping to join with no military experience. You're 19 go for it now! Best of luck !

VonQuixote

Reaction score
Home Country
Austria
Advice and your experiences really help. I will not forget them. And i think i'v decided not to go to my country's army, but straight to the Legion, and see how i'm gonna do. If nothing, at least i'll know what to change for next time i'm applying. I'm doing 3 km in 15 mins, should i work on that a little bit more? Pull ups are not the problem, i can do any kind at least 20. But my bigest fear is that you have mentioned, problems within the Legion, fights with other candidates and such.
Thanks for the good wishes!

Nickfury

Top Member
Reaction score
Wandering the Earth like Caine from Kung Fu.
Home Country
San Marino
Advice and your experiences really help. I will not forget them. And i think i'v decided not to go to my country's army, but straight to the Legion, and see how i'm gonna do. If nothing, at least i'll know what to change for next time i'm applying. I'm doing 3 km in 15 mins, should i work on that a little bit more? Pull ups are not the problem, i can do any kind at least 20. But my bigest fear is that you have mentioned, problems within the Legion, fights with other candidates and such.
Thanks for the good wishes!

Fights are a problem for a good number of people...avoid problem like the plague until you get to Castel. DO NOT FIGHT in Aubagne or any selection center. Some good people got sent home for it. I fought but while I never got in trouble for it I got sent home for other reasons (no one reported the fight I was in...the rouge who was in 'charge' kept it in house and just punished me by making me clean gutters and sewer grates while the guys I fought with called me names and insulted my country.... not the best since we almost fought again... haha but better than getting kicked out for fighting by the cadre). Just lay low, make friends, resolve things peacefully or just walk away knowing you can probably settle it if you both get into Castel. Focus on the goal and don't be distracted.

W

Weseefromage

Unregistered
We keep hearing about "I'm only 19 years" and "you must have life experience". It's getting over my head, but I have time and I'm not really done. The thing is that a 19 year old can also be "a big boy" and an adult man. I don't where it comes from, but the issue must be something else. Maybe you played too tough and forgot all about your own good? I don't know any details...

Ah, excuse me mate, no offence intended, just the way I talk. I will rephrase that 'Teach you how to soldier their (the FFL) way'
Sorry.

No, no offence at all. Just trying to figure out some real terminology. We humans know about words and proper terminology could help your head feel more clear sometimes.

VonQuixote

Reaction score
Home Country
Austria
Thanks, but i'm not really sure how to do the leger test. I just came from the gym and i did 3000m on a treadmill in 14 mins moderate pace, so i guess i could do 3000 in 12 mins if i'm fresh and i have to. Pull ups aren't the problem at all.
And yes, i hate that when they underestimate yo just because of the age. I'v been training for almost two years now, i'm 85kg and less than 8%bf, and i'm pretty sure i'm stronger than most of the "normal" people, and then they come and say, "oh you can't join the legion you're just 18."
I know it sounds cocky, but i think i have decent chances.
Also, i'm wondering, is it really possible to learn the enough language in those 2~3 months? Do the guys that already know the language get accepted easier? (Belgians, Swiss etc...)
I'v seen an old(circa 1970~80) french documentary, and most of the guys that got accepted, already spoke French.

W

Weseefromage

Unregistered
He said something like "you're young, you never had a job, you came immediately after school. Legion will give you a second chance. Come back in next year. Don't wait any longer. Go to work or study."

If you speak the truth, what he meant is for you to do a little adjustment only in your soul. In the mean time, do whatever civilians do in daily life and then come again with a new attitude.

Thanks, but i'm not really sure how to do the leger test. I just came from the gym and i did 3000m on a treadmill in 14 mins moderate pace, so i guess i could do 3000 in 12 mins if i'm fresh and i have to. Pull ups aren't the problem at all.
And yes, i hate that when they underestimate yo just because of the age. I'v been training for almost two years now, i'm 85kg and less than 8%bf, and i'm pretty sure i'm stronger than most of the "normal" people, and then they come and say, "oh you can't join the legion you're just 18."
Also, i'm wondering, is it really possible to learn the enough language in those 2~3 months? Do the guys that already know the language get accepted easier? (Belgians, Swiss etc...)
I'v seen an old(circa 1970~80) french documentary, and most of the guys that got accepted, already spoke French.

You don't need to know French. And did you know that 85% of normal men are already physically strong enough for the tests. Again: It's mostly about your attitude.

Don Pedro

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Sweden
(...) Do the guys that already know the language get accepted easier? (Belgians, Swiss etc...)

No, not necessary. Maybe because most already had a few years under the belt, when they were interviewed, i been there, done that. :cool:

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand

Obviously learning a language depends on the individual, but by the time you finish instruction you will have the basics and of course you will be carrying on in your regiment. I wouldn't worry too much about that.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Just word on previous military experience. It can help but it can also be a hindrance. If you get in (I'm not talking about a 3 month stint) in your own country and go through instruction, you will then be sent to your regiment. After a short time a routine starts to set in and then a little time later you are getting less and less sh@tty jobs. NAAFI in the evenings and on the town with your mates at weekends. Then you go to the legion.

I had the advantage of doing the All Arms Commando course as an army Chef (Army Catering Corps). Then going to Norway with 59 commando - my third trip. So the sudden "thrown into the deep end" did not count in my case. You just have to be willing to go back to being a new guy again. I never told anyone that I was ex-military as I wasn't too proud of going AWOL, although it was because I was bored and wanted more action. At the time '84, the Brit army wasn't too involved elsewhere other than Northern Ireland.

It was obvious to most that I'd been in the army, from shooting to rope climbing to marching. No-one asked any questions which is the legion way.

M

Martin Scott

Unregistered
In my time many moons ago, it was obvious that I was ex military. I brought all my discharge papers with me (copies i might add) did it make a difference I dont think so, although in my two interviews with the BSLE they did ask me about it. A CCH got a little confused about it till in broken French I explained
what regiment I had served with.

Saw three fights and four of the idiots got thrown out, three guys in my instruction had no prior military experience and struggled at the farm, but as we gelled as a unit we all pitched in and helped them, up too a point, they all
finished marche de kepi blanc and went to there regiments. I cant say what happened to them as i don't know.
There were a lot of ex military in my instruction in 84 as a lot of guys were paras and marines and the Falklands War was over and like me civvy street in the UK didnt really have time for veterans. We weren't bitter just a little let down thats all. Anyway that was a longtime ago and the Legion has changed a lot, best of luck when you do go but do it as a young man.

Don Pedro

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Sweden
Previous or non-experiences in the military, is like a a blacksmith in his shop, he use raw material and hammers it into the shape(s) he need(s), as he could use already made, that need(s) small modfication(s). I.E: Language, commands and the list goes on. Everyone can shot with a rifle, but not all get great results, but excels in other domains. In the end, it all comes down to you, as a person. You are either made for it, or not, it's a make or break shituation in the end.

W

Weseefromage

Unregistered
If you speak the truth, what he meant is for you to do a little adjustment only in your soul. In the mean time, do whatever civilians do in daily life and then come again with a new attitude.

You don't need to know French. And did you know that 85% of normal men are already physically strong enough for the tests. Again: It's mostly about your attitude.

Do you still believe the Legion is an elite unit? There is not in reality so much difference between regular army and the Legion, but there's a little difference. No shame in being army nor Legion, but can you make it into Legion please?

M

Martin Scott

Unregistered
Previous or non-experiences in the military, is like a a blacksmith in his shop, he use raw material and hammers it into the shape(s) he need(s), as he could use already made, that need(s) small modfication(s). I.E: Language, commands and the list goes on. Everyone can shot with a rifle, but not all get great results, but excels in other domains. In the end, it all comes down to you, as a person. You are either made for it, or not, it's a make or break shituation in the end.

At right work this one out after eight years in the REC how comes I was posted to MLE.
(Legion sense of Humour)

A

ahun1743

Unregistered
Do you still believe the Legion is an elite unit? There is not in reality so much difference between regular army and the Legion, but there's a little difference. No shame in being army nor Legion, but can you make it into Legion please?

How do you know there's little difference between the Legion and the French army? Stop talking about shit you don't know about.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Weseefromage.

Possibly you have never heard the words; history, discipline, tradition and courage. Well in the Legion's coloured history they have these qualities in spades. Finally the awesome chants which are incomparable. That's what sets the Legion apart.
Don't even attempt to mention the USMC cadences or it will ruin my festive season .lol
Happy Chrimbo one and all.