OP
K

Katalmach

Donator
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
Yesterday I used the last of my protein powder and I won't be buying anymore. For a solid month or so, it was very useful to "power surge" me to the level I wanted to be at, now I will maintain it naturally. I felt I had to use it after half a year of not exercising, and drinking excessively

Also, my breakfast was a cup of coffee with a splash of milk and a tablespoon of sugar, and a piece of bread with peanut butter. Going for a Stoeng style run for about an hour here soon, just doing some stretching, then going to study French for some hours

It's 7 AM here, and the temperature is -1 Celcius. Cold, and tired

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
North Korea
Cool
Do you mean a tea spoon of sugar and not a table spoon?
Either way, real men drink without
Pea nut butter, heavens forbid
Honey on bread and butter will give you what you need ...try it in your coffee too
Stay awake and dont be lazy (you won't be given the choice in the Legion)

Surfguy

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
Yesterday I used the last of my protein powder and I won't be buying anymore. For a solid month or so, it was very useful to "power surge" me to the level I wanted to be at, now I will maintain it naturally. I felt I had to use it after half a year of not exercising, and drinking excessively

Also, my breakfast was a cup of coffee with a splash of milk and a tablespoon of sugar, and a piece of bread with peanut butter. Going for a Stoeng style run for about an hour here soon, just doing some stretching, then going to study French for some hours

Sugar is shite - do without .

OP
K

Katalmach

Donator
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
I can say with certainty that my cardio is severely lacking. I started my run going up hill, not sure where I was going to go. Ended up accidentally finding a running trail (took a turn into a parking lot with some interesting buildings I wanted to check out, turned out to be an 85 mile long trail behind it!)

So I ran probably a little too fast, for a solid 20 minutes. I was probably layered too much because in 20 minutes time I was sweating so bad that it was running into my eyes. Just like Stoeng demands, my heart was blasting in my ears and my temples. I ran until my legs nearly gave out. I didn't stop moving but I had to slow down to a jog for about 5 minutes, then ended up walking about another 40 minutes.

Will try again tomorrow. Going to be drinking a lot of water today to get hydrated, and tomorrow I will run the same path with less layers on, and will drop the pace down to a jog so I can make it further

Now I go study French. In a few hours I will do my push ups, sit ups, squats and pull ups on a tree outside

Many thanks to all for the motivation, advice and encouragement

Cool
Yes, I meant tea spoon

Sugar is shite - do without .
I'm not a huge coffee drinker. I never acquired the taste for it as a child. Eventually, I will work my way to drinking it straight out of the machine, no adds

Good start, work you way up or down, which ever way you want to look at it, to : 05:00 cold, tired and add Pissed off (like majorly) and hungry.
You're doing well Katalmach. ;)
Thanks Joe!

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
North Korea
Wear a head band and stop plucking your eye brows
Learn to climb stairs, slow,fast and faster
Do some cyclying too
Skip, if you can
Reduce salt on your plate = blood preasure / artery tension etc.
Drink lots of water. .before during and after. .flush the kidneys of toxins etc
Soon, 20 minutes should become 30, Okay !
In the legion a company run is at least 45 mns or an hour
The ones who finish last get noticed more than them who finish first
Never be last

USMCRET

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States

Keep it up, do yourself proud. Remember your heritage and what you have previously earned and never disrespect that Honor and Title forever earned. The same is true for the Legion, if you make it and are excepted.

USMCRET

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
Good start, work you way up or down, which ever way you want to look at it, to : 05:00 cold, tired and add Pissed off (like majorly) and hungry.
You're doing well Katalmach. ;)
I am sure he remembers 05:30 Revile, being pissed off, being the last platoon for Chow and the Drill Instructors have an hour to play Feck Feck games, dump foot lockers, get you dressed and undressed 4, 5, or 6 times, throw the Shite Cans (Trash Cans) down the middle of the Squad bay, dump bunks over, and just general Feck Feck games until their time mark. Then get you dressed, squared away, the squad bay squared away, and then chow.

Last edited:

USMCRET

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
Cool
Pea nut butter, heavens forbid
Honey on bread and butter will give you what you need ...try it in your coffee too
Stay awake and dont be lazy (you won't be given the choice in the Legion)
Honey is the perfect food and the natural unrefined sugars are the best for you. Remember, it has been stated many times on the forum that you will have coffee, a piece of French Bread, and some sort of Jam to spread on it. So, train as it will be for you at Castel.

USMCRET

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
I can say with certainty that my cardio is severely lacking. I started my run going up hill, not sure where I was going to go. Ended up accidentally finding a running trail (took a turn into a parking lot with some interesting buildings I wanted to check out, turned out to be an 85 mile long trail behind it!)

So I ran probably a little too fast, for a solid 20 minutes. I was probably layered too much because in 20 minutes time I was sweating so bad that it was running into my eyes. Just like Stoeng demands, my heart was blasting in my ears and my temples. I ran until my legs nearly gave out. I didn't stop moving but I had to slow down to a jog for about 5 minutes, then ended up walking about another 40 minutes.

Will try again tomorrow. Going to be drinking a lot of water today to get hydrated, and tomorrow I will run the same path with less layers on, and will drop the pace down to a jog so I can make it further

Now I go study French. In a few hours I will do my push ups, sit ups, squats and pull ups on a tree outside

Many thanks to all for the motivation, advice and encouragement

Yes, I meant tea spoon

I'm not a huge coffee drinker. I never acquired the taste for it as a child. Eventually, I will work my way to drinking it straight out of the machine, no adds

Thanks Joe!

Always remember, when one runs they start off and all is well; however, at the three or four minute mark your body is very very anaerobic, you are gasping for air and it is when you have the overwhelming urge to quit, be a run drop, bad news don't be a run drop. But, when you fight through it for a minute or two, your body goes aerobic, your breathing stabilizes, and you can run forever. My strategy I would run and take in air into my nose and out of my mouth to fully exhale. I took in air for two strides, two left foot hitting the deck, and I breathed out in the same pattern. Just my thoughts and how I did it.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
North Korea
Bet he is pushing out Zzzs now
Learn to breath in syncro
Post Shitum : No buddy likes a snorer (true story)

OP
K

Katalmach

Donator
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
I am sure he remembers 05:30 Revile, being pissed off, being the last platoon for Chow and the Drill Instructors have an hour to play Feck Feck games, dump foot lockers, get you dressed and undressed 4, 5, or 6 times, throw the Shite Cans (Trash Cans) down the middle of the Squad bay, dump bunks over, and just general Feck Feck games until their time mark. Then get you dressed, squared away, the squad bay squared away, and then chow.
"Put your left sock on! Go! 10, 9, 7, 5, 4, 3, 1, ZERO! Put your right sock on! Go! 10, 8, 7, 5, 3, 2, 1, ZERO!" lmao, they used to screw with us by skipping numbers. Then you come waddling out the squad bays into the 1000% humidity at 04:15 and it's already 110 degrees outside, you've got 1 boot untied, and a sock halfway on. Your PT belt is tied around your head because it amused your kill hat, one of your blouse sleeves is rolled up loose and the other is so tight your arm is turning purple.

Just awful! hahaha, I'd go back to Parris Island in a heart beat. I'd be the platoon guide, knowing all their tricks and what to expect

Bet he is pushing out Zzzs now
Learn to breath in syncro
Post Shitum : No buddy likes a snorer (true story)
Definitely not sleeping. I've done some stretching, and I've been on Duolingo since my last reply

Going for some exercise soon. I've learned some new words, need to rest my brain a bit. French is a very tough language for English speakers

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
North Korea
Stretching what ?
Waring to all
Too much stretching makes you a wanker
Seriously
There is the stretching you dol before and after physical efforts
Both are disciplines in there own
The first is intented for warming up the muscles before the effort and to get the blood circulating ( a must do before assault course trial and will avoid sprains and pains)
Second is more for, ..cooling down and avoiding blockage
A good warm up period is done, until when you have a slight sweat on the brow
The cool down, until you can t hear your heart beat pounding and head thumping (back to stable)
Avoid fresh water after the efforts = can give a serious intenstine cramp. .drink tepid or wait a bit
Listen to what your body is saying to you. .but remember it's the brain that rules the heart

Ex-Pongo

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Scotland
Hey dude, you seem to be on the right track. When I went, I tried to eat like a Legionnaire. Still felt weak during selection cause of the lack of food.
Try to get work in the Sergeants' Mess if you can. They have plenty of food there and if you graft (which you will, cause you want to join the club, right?) they will treat you. I remember a meal of ribeye steak, croquettes and that weird, squidgy cheese. Went down so good. Ate my fill and more.
Also, don't get caught taking food out the cookhouse. You don't strike me as daft but trust me, you will meet plenty of morons in selection. Something about the FFL attracts fruit loops as well as good guys. They got caught stealing and we all got hounded for it.

Well, i'd wish you good luck but I don't think you need it dude. Get it done.

ZALegion

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
South Africa

Hi man

Personally I would recommend you keep with the protein shake (must be whey). Mix whey protein and creatine. This combo is good for you if you are demanding more from your body, it has elements that will aid you in recovery which is super important, it will allow you to run properly for consecutive days. It also has slow release energy this is the power surge i assume you are talking about. Slow release energy helps you keep going when you hit a wall, it’s when your body realises you not going to quit and is forced to go fetch more energy and if you on whey your body gets the good stuff that gives you that turbo feeling.

If I were you I’d cut out a meal (if you have one to spare). Replace a meal with a fruit and another meal with whey protein. I take protein after I work out, I workout on an empty stomach than have whey as my breakfast, have a rice and chicken for lunch, watermelon for supper (excellent hydration).

I get that you are concerned about the nutrition of selection but everyone will suffer equally but if you were on whey which is pure muscle food you will be in excellent condition and your muscles will be able to maintain their work rate even under questionable nutrition. Also you shouldn’t be taking protein like a bodybuilder would because you will gain weight, half a scoop of whey protein is sufficient for the kind of results you are aiming for. Whey protects muscle and offers up fat to be burned. Also for best running results try split your running days into endurance and speed, some days get on the road and run for long (1.5 - 2.5 hours) and other days break it down to sprints if you are running 5km break it up into 5 one kilometre sprints. This allows to build on your speed and breathing if you sprint the 1km and take a 40-60 seconds break before your next 1km sprint. Before long you will find your slow relaxed jogs are now as fast as what you considered fastish running in the beginning. This will also knock out any additional weight you might be carrying around.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
Thank God my generation did not worry about diet, protein and nutrition when I had to serve. Food rationing only ended in 1953. I joined as a scrawny callow youth in 1956. Our scran at the Infantry Training Centre Royal Marines if tinned was often dated 1944. Ghastly grey tinned sausages come immediately to mind.

My point is simple. Why worry about all this nonsense if you are physically fit for your size and stature ?

As an old 'duffer' I may of course be wrong and it may be a case of different life styles.

OP
K

Katalmach

Donator
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
Thank God my generation did not worry about diet, protein and nutrition when I had to serve. Food rationing only ended in 1953. I joined as a scrawny callow youth in 1956. Our scran at the Infantry Training Centre Royal Marines if tinned was often dated 1944. Ghastly grey tinned sausages come immediately to mind.

My point is simple. Why worry about all this nonsense if you are physically fit for your size and stature ?

As an old 'duffer' I may of course be wrong and it may be a case of different life styles.
The point is though, I am not physically fit for my size and stature. I am trying to more quickly get to that point. I was a sickly small child, and I ended up getting fat as a pre-teen, then losing the weight way too fast. I never played any sports except a year of hockey. So as a young adult, I was malnorished, unathletic, and slow. Not even very flexible, either.

Of course now I am quite strong, but take in comparison a lot of other guys who I'm going to be competing against to get selected, I'd wager i'm likely below average at this very moment

When I show up there I want to be damn near Spartan

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
You can't show up there with a protein shake. And no, I'm not trying to take the p*ss. You have to have a good diet and hard training. I keep repeating myself; you have to work on stamina. The Luc Legere is all well and good, but when you get to your regiment you will be on long runs. Sit ups. squats etc, will all be done, not to mention the endless amount of press ups that you will be doing in Aubagne.

To be quite honest, I would recommend you to check on the internet for a nutritionist who will provide a balanced diet for your requirements. And from there it's a question of training. We know of the initial tests that they do when you join up. However, what if they decide to take you on a long run for a bit of extra sport while you are there in Aubagne, waiting. We used to go to the park below and play tennis, we'd often see the EVs out running.

Don't think that just because you (not you in particular mate) have done the required pull ups and paliers, that that is it. It's been said before, you are always being tested. There are those who did not make rouge and don't know why. Perhaps they were lagging on the runs?

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
The point is though, I am not physically fit for my size and stature. I am trying to more quickly get to that point. I was a sickly small child, and I ended up getting fat as a pre-teen, then losing the weight way too fast. I never played any sports except a year of hockey. So as a young adult, I was malnorished, unathletic, and slow. Not even very flexible, either.

Of course now I am quite strong, but take in comparison a lot of other guys who I'm going to be competing against to get selected, I'd wager i'm likely below average at this very moment

Don't worry so much. Persevere and you will achieve.

Most viewed threads of the week