Getting Serious

ZALegion

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
South Africa
Ain't really too worried, simply aware of my shortcomings. Thanks for the vote of confidence
I get what the guys are saying. However so much advancements have been made in sports science I think it would be silly to pretend it doesn’t exist when it does. When you take whey protein you don’t immediately see/feel the results it’s only after months of being consistent in your workout and supplementing do you start to see the real results. It stands to reason that when you stop taking it you don’t immediately lose the effects it’ll also take months of wear and tear for you to start seeing the effects of not taking whey protein. The few weeks you’ll spend in selection will have no noticeable effect because it’s a build up.

I respect the opinions of both Chas and Joe, I think they have immeasurable information we could all benefit from however it is worth considering when they joined up their respective armies there was no internet only a select few knew about the legion. Now every kid who feels they need a second chance they know about the legion there is more competition and the legion has become more selective so you need to be a complete candidate.

Research has shown that we only benefit from about 20% of the meals we eat. If you are in your mid 20s and you go from sitting around to asking your body to perform like an elite soldier you will suffer. Your body will ask for more food from you, you will either start eating unhealthy snacks or adding more meals that you only benefit 20% from and this will lead to weight gain. I’ve seen guys complaining that since they started working out they’ve gained weight that’s cause your muscles are asking for more nutrients to help them heal and you not giving the right stuff.

There are also injuries. When you workout your muscles are tearing and get demanged that means they won’t recover in time if they aren’t looked after properly. As you grow older your body produces less amino acids so you need to supplement these if you are serious about working out. If you don’t look after your body you’ll find you constantly feel hungry, tired and sore. You’ll find you can run good on Monday after the weekend off but the rest of the week you aren’t as fast or strong that means your body can’t replicate the energy from Monday fast enough. Read any workout and nutrition program they all agree if you are going to ask more from your body you have to give it sufficient protein and whey protein has combined all the elements required for intensive workout.

I also think you focusing too much on muscle building (bodybuilding style) when you need to concentrate more on cardiovascular. If you are on protein you will develop the muscles you are working out but muscle is heavy and may result in you being a slower runner. You should be focusing on being lean rather than bulking (if you lift heavy you will bulk up if you are on whey). The heaviest thing you should be lifting I reckon is your body weight.

But this is your journey so do it however way will leave you without regrets.

Last edited:
OP
K

Katalmach

Donator
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
I have definitely shifted more toward calisthenics as opposed to weight lifting. I've added a ton more running in, as well. I do pull ups to failure every time I see a pull up bar. On average last few weeks I get in about 20 to 40 pull ups a day, walk 3 miles to and 3 miles from work, run an hour. Tonight I did push ups, I did 150 of them, different positions, plus legs and dips. I can feel myself getting stronger

I did find some all natural suppliments that I will consider. If taking them temporarily will help then I'm willing to give it a shot. I'm 8 to 10 months from leaving for France anway (I know naysayers like 666 will say I'm not going. It's simply a matter of financial and cavities, otherwise, I'd leave next month)

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
I've every bit of confidence in you going. The good thing is that you are taking seriously the advice being offered. You must get your teeth sorted out. You must continue on your path of getting yourself nearly as fit as possible. Let's not forget that the legion is designed to improve your fitness.
As for money and other logistics goes, you must remember that you are taking time out for the following 5 years; it's best to be as prepared as possible.

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Estonia
When it comes to improving running endurance, I really recommend interval training (don't confuse with HIIT). Basically, doing sessions of running that consist of 1.5 minute - 4 minutes at 80%-85% max effort then rest. Rest should be 1:1 with shorter intervals and 1:2 with longer. For example if you run 1:30, then rest 1:30. If you run 4 minutes, then rest for 2 minutes. It's better to have a light jog durring rest if you can, but walking is ok too. Just don't stand still - sudden stops are bad for your heart, transition to resting pace should be smooth and gradual. The total volume of work should be around 18 minutes of work in total. So for example 12 intervals of 1min30sec or 4x4 minutes, but you can play with times. In total distance this kind of session (work + rest) should be around 10km.

Personally I saw a huge improvement in running speed, when I started to incorporate these sessions into training. And the best part of it is that it's really good at producing significant improvements in a relatively short time. Even 6-7 sessions over the course of 3 weeks make a difference.

Hope this helps. And good luck.
I am going soon too. Got my tickets to Paris for 6th of December, so there's a chance we might meet.

OP
K

Katalmach

Donator
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
When it comes to improving running endurance, I really recommend interval training (don't confuse with HIIT). Basically, doing sessions of running that consist of 1.5 minute - 4 minutes at 80%-85% max effort then rest. Rest should be 1:1 with shorter intervals and 1:2 with longer. For example if you run 1:30, then rest 1:30. If you run 4 minutes, then rest for 2 minutes. It's better to have a light jog durring rest if you can, but walking is ok too. Just don't stand still - sudden stops are bad for your heart, transition to resting pace should be smooth and gradual. The total volume of work should be around 18 minutes of work in total. So for example 12 intervals of 1min30sec or 4x4 minutes, but you can play with times. In total distance this kind of session (work + rest) should be around 10km.

Personally I saw a huge improvement in running speed, when I started to incorporate these sessions into training. And the best part of it is that it's really good at producing significant improvements in a relatively short time. Even 6-7 sessions over the course of 3 weeks make a difference.

Hope this helps. And good luck.
I am going soon too. Got my tickets to Paris for 6th of December, so there's a chance we might meet.
By the time I get to Castel you'll have been in your regiment for about 6 months or so. If I am given any choice, I am opting for 13th DBLE. If you're there, and I'm there, I'll be sure to message you on here so we can become acquainted in person, brother

Regarding running and endurance, I greatly appreciate the insight. I tried to just do Stoeng's method of running for a long time, but I have to start at a different level. I am a horrible runner, so i'm going to have to use more efficient methods to get myself to that level rather than just pushing myself, because after about 10 to 15 minutes of running at a 9 minute mile pace, I chuck, almost every time. My cardio is WEAK.

To the anciens following my progress, my pull ups are progressing really well, though. I was peaking out around 7 or 8 pulls up (note, I can do far more chin ups than pull ups). Now I am doing easily sets of 10 to 12, and my chin ups are at 15 or 16. I added in an endurance set to my pull up routine, so after I do 3 or 4 sets to failure, I do a flexed arm hang to failure, and then do "half reps" where I bring my chin above the bar and only come down to a 90 degree angle. A fitness expert I work with told me that these little half reps have something to do with blood flow, and after you've hit failure with full reps, adding them in will increase your "gain" so to speak. We'll see how much it helps over next few weeks

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
North Korea
Cold showers for blood flow
@ least once a week, steep yer feet in very cold water, until it becomes tepid
Winter or Summer, same routine
Stop smoking
Fucque la Légion

Pink Floyd

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Australia
It's been stated on this forum many times that you don't need to be Superman in the fitness department to be accepted by the Legion. But what the Legion expects from young recruits who come knocking, is that they have a reasonable level of fitness. I joined almost 30 years ago (1989). Physically mankind hasn't changed that much in that time. Stick to the basics eg: running, sit-ups, heaves/chin-ups, rope work with just the arms, swimming. Save all the super grunt work for once you get to your Régiment...mmmm, but first you have to be accepted.

Last edited:

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
North Korea
Run half an hour or even better 3/4. ..if you intend in showing off, do an hour. ...(that's near most a semi marathon)
Evry step hurts? = blame it on St. Cyr!
(Hang over is recommandé)

USMCRET

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
I get what the guys are saying. However so much advancements have been made in sports science I think it would be silly to pretend it doesn’t exist when it does. When you take whey protein you don’t immediately see/feel the results it’s only after months of being consistent in your workout and supplementing do you start to see the real results. It stands to reason that when you stop taking it you don’t immediately lose the effects it’ll also take months of wear and tear for you to start seeing the effects of not taking whey protein. The few weeks you’ll spend in selection will have no noticeable effect because it’s a build up.

I respect the opinions of both Chas and Joe, I think they have immeasurable information we could all benefit from however it is worth considering when they joined up their respective armies there was no internet only a select few knew about the legion. Now every kid who feels they need a second chance they know about the legion there is more competition and the legion has become more selective so you need to be a complete candidate.

Research has shown that we only benefit from about 20% of the meals we eat. If you are in your mid 20s and you go from sitting around to asking your body to perform like an elite soldier you will suffer. Your body will ask for more food from you, you will either start eating unhealthy snacks or adding more meals that you only benefit 20% from and this will lead to weight gain. I’ve seen guys complaining that since they started working out they’ve gained weight that’s cause your muscles are asking for more nutrients to help them heal and you not giving the right stuff.

There are also injuries. When you workout your muscles are tearing and get demanged that means they won’t recover in time if they aren’t looked after properly. As you grow older your body produces less amino acids so you need to supplement these if you are serious about working out. If you don’t look after your body you’ll find you constantly feel hungry, tired and sore. You’ll find you can run good on Monday after the weekend off but the rest of the week you aren’t as fast or strong that means your body can’t replicate the energy from Monday fast enough. Read any workout and nutrition program they all agree if you are going to ask more from your body you have to give it sufficient protein and whey protein has combined all the elements required for intensive workout.

I also think you focusing too much on muscle building (bodybuilding style) when you need to concentrate more on cardiovascular. If you are on protein you will develop the muscles you are working out but muscle is heavy and may result in you being a slower runner. You should be focusing on being lean rather than bulking (if you lift heavy you will bulk up if you are on whey). The heaviest thing you should be lifting I reckon is your body weight.

But this is your journey so do it however way will leave you without regrets.

This is very sound advice. One should focus on Cardiovascular gains in endurance and any lifting is done with high repetitions to elongate your muscles. Focus on your core and increase your core strength. Any weight lifting should focus on helping you to be able to use your body weight, that is focus on working on your natural ability to lift, run, and do things that involve your own body weight. If you do use Whey Protein add L Glutamine in your shake to help rebuild your muscles and to help dissipate Lactic Acid build up in your muscles, this is why you are sore.

Focus on working with your body weight, push ups, pull ups, squats, squat chairs against a wall, rope climbing. Now I have never been to the Legion Farm but I bet everything is focused on endurance and running. Then there will be tons of pull ups and push ups.

USMCRET

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
By the time I get to Castel you'll have been in your regiment for about 6 months or so. If I am given any choice, I am opting for 13th DBLE. If you're there, and I'm there, I'll be sure to message you on here so we can become acquainted in person, brother

Regarding running and endurance, I greatly appreciate the insight. I tried to just do Stoeng's method of running for a long time, but I have to start at a different level. I am a horrible runner, so i'm going to have to use more efficient methods to get myself to that level rather than just pushing myself, because after about 10 to 15 minutes of running at a 9 minute mile pace, I chuck, almost every time. My cardio is WEAK.

To the anciens following my progress, my pull ups are progressing really well, though. I was peaking out around 7 or 8 pulls up (note, I can do far more chin ups than pull ups). Now I am doing easily sets of 10 to 12, and my chin ups are at 15 or 16. I added in an endurance set to my pull up routine, so after I do 3 or 4 sets to failure, I do a flexed arm hang to failure, and then do "half reps" where I bring my chin above the bar and only come down to a 90 degree angle. A fitness expert I work with told me that these little half reps have something to do with blood flow, and after you've hit failure with full reps, adding them in will increase your "gain" so to speak. We'll see how much it helps over next few weeks

At 10 to 15 minutes you should be aerobic, that is your body is warmed up and running becomes natural. Have you incorporated some sprints into your routine? Look, I was never a stellar runner, that is I never could run 3-miles in 18-minutes for a perfect score on the PFT. I could and did run 21-minute 3-mile PFT runs. I always approached running in phases, I would let the rabbits take off and I never sprinted to start a PFT run. I started with an 8 minute mile pace and after I warmed up, went aerobic I would pick up the pace, my goal get to the 1.5-mile point at 11 minutes. Now from the half way point I would pick it up and finish the 1.5-miles left in about 10 to 10.5-minutes, results a 21:30 PFT run.

Fight through the urge to throw up, incorporate periods in your runs where you speed up to an uncomfortable pace and pick out a landmark to make it to. Once you make your landmark slow down your pace but do not go back to a 9-minute pace, maintain an 8-minute or a 7.5 minute per mile pace.

If your fitness center you work out at has an old fashioned stair climbing machine, it look and operates exactly like an escalator, use it a lot. Program it on the Hill Climbing routine with bursts of 2-minutes that really challenge you to make it, when the hill is over and your recovering a bit get ready for the next burst up a hill

OP
K

Katalmach

Donator
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
At 10 to 15 minutes you should be aerobic, that is your body is warmed up and running becomes natural. Have you incorporated some sprints into your routine? Look, I was never a stellar runner, that is I never could run 3-miles in 18-minutes for a perfect score on the PFT. I could and did run 21-minute 3-mile PFT runs. I always approached running in phases, I would let the rabbits take off and I never sprinted to start a PFT run. I started with an 8 minute mile pace and after I warmed up, went aerobic I would pick up the pace, my goal get to the 1.5-mile point at 11 minutes. Now from the half way point I would pick it up and finish the 1.5-miles left in about 10 to 10.5-minutes, results a 21:30 PFT run.

Fight through the urge to throw up, incorporate periods in your runs where you speed up to an uncomfortable pace and pick out a landmark to make it to. Once you make your landmark slow down your pace but do not go back to a 9-minute pace, maintain an 8-minute or a 7.5 minute per mile pace.

If your fitness center you work out at has an old fashioned stair climbing machine, it look and operates exactly like an escalator, use it a lot. Program it on the Hill Climbing routine with bursts of 2-minutes that really challenge you to make it, when the hill is over and your recovering a bit get ready for the next burst up a hill
My PFT was 21.30 as well, I kid you not. I was a consistent runner back when I weighed 120 lbs. I ran 3 consecutive 7.10 minutes miles almost every time I did it.

I have tried the stair climber. I made it 6 minutes. First goal is 10 minutes

Most viewed threads of the week