a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• WARNING

We have been alerted of inappropriate behaviours on the forum. We firmly condamn any form of agressivity, harassment, threats etc...
    Members will be banned if they don't follow the rules (see rules agreement during registration setup)

Glad I didn't go

Katalmach

Donator
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Update:

As my unit deploys, those of us who are injured are being divided into the other companies in the Battalion that are not deploying fully. I am being attached to D Co, which is heavy weapons. All mounted. They operate .50 cals and Mk19s out of trucks. I spoke to my leadership and asked what that would be like, and they said almost no rucking or hiking, a lot of time driving and operating weapons from vehicles. D Co leadership should be tracking my injury, and I am stepping into physical therapy multiple times per week, as well as seeing a chiropractor

Not having to carry a heavy load for awhile may give me a good chance at recovery, at least so I can stay in the military. Lifting is fine, for the most part, it's just the fast walking with 80+ lbs that kills me. Mayhaps I'll reclass over to armor or artillery

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
I'm not looking for sympathy. I put this up so my friends here would know what's happening to me. I am fine, working in the civilian world as a security guard and a firearms instructor. Life is good, but I wish I could go out and do what I was trained to do
?

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Update:

As my unit deploys, those of us who are injured are being divided into the other companies in the Battalion that are not deploying fully. I am being attached to D Co, which is heavy weapons. All mounted. They operate .50 cals and Mk19s out of trucks. I spoke to my leadership and asked what that would be like, and they said almost no rucking or hiking, a lot of time driving and operating weapons from vehicles. D Co leadership should be tracking my injury, and I am stepping into physical therapy multiple times per week, as well as seeing a chiropractor

Not having to carry a heavy load for awhile may give me a good chance at recovery, at least so I can stay in the military. Lifting is fine, for the most part, it's just the fast walking with 80+ lbs that kills me. Mayhaps I'll reclass over to armor or artillery
?

kkillert0fu

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Katalmach,

Are you the guy who took a picture of himself before entering the Legion recruiting center?

Wasn't there another guy who was able to get into the National Guard instead, or was that you?

I remember when you were active here, btw. I think as we age, we come to accept that certain things didn't pan out the way we thought it would, and we accept it more than we thought we would. For what it's worth, times are tough for everybody these days. Everybody had lofty goals and aspirations, and most have fallen well short of meeting them. I think socially, our generation is starting to collectively accept that. And it's completely okay.

I'm still going to shoot my shot. There's nothing worth holding on to around here anyway, as far as employment and life circumstances go.

Good to hear from you!

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Katalmach,

Are you the guy who took a picture of himself before entering the Legion recruiting center?

Wasn't there another guy who was able to get into the National Guard instead, or was that you?

I remember when you were active here, btw. I think as we age, we come to accept that certain things didn't pan out the way we thought it would, and we accept it more than we thought we would. For what it's worth, times are tough for everybody these days. Everybody had lofty goals and aspirations, and most have fallen well short of meeting them. I think socially, our generation is starting to collectively accept that. And it's completely okay.

I'm still going to shoot my shot. There's nothing worth holding on to around here anyway, as far as employment and life circumstances go.

Good to hear from you!
? Don’t take much to loose me, but I’m lost!
The last time a photo was mentioned was with a wet sock😂

kkillert0fu

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
A few years ago, a user here had posted a picture of himself standing outside the Legion recruiting center before he went in. He wasn't bragging or anything, just letting us all know he was there.

Then, there was another user around the same time who I believe decided not to go. But who ended up getting into the National Guard.

I'm pretty sure one of them was Katalmach.

Not trying to pry, just filling in some gaps on who is who.

Kronenberg

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
A few years ago, a user here had posted a picture of himself standing outside the Legion recruiting center before he went in. He wasn't bragging or anything, just letting us all know he was there.

Then, there was another user around the same time who I believe decided not to go. But who ended up getting into the National Guard.

I'm pretty sure one of them was Katalmach.

Not trying to pry, just filling in some gaps on who is who.

It seems there may have been two Katalmach in the photo then.

One of them went back to civvi street and is (quote from above) "working in the civilian world as a security guard".

The other appears to have joined the US military and (quote from above): "As my unit deploys, those of us who are injured are being divided into the other companies in the Battalion that are not deploying fully."

Is this a practical application of string theory that Stephen Hawking has so much difficulty accepting? You know, parallel universes and multiple histories etc where infinite outcomes can exist at quantum levels ?

In that case Katalmach could (at the same time) be in the Legion and in the US military and in civvy street simultaneously. Whether he can be seen or not depends on the position of the observer (as Einstein pointed out in ~1915).

Great - that's the problem solved then.

kkillert0fu

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
It could very well be Katalmach who I'm remembering as two different users.

I'm just asking for clarification. Not accusing anybody of lying or anything.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Update:

I remember you. I try not to tell other people's story's in case I get some of it wrong. Thanks for the update.
BTW I'm sure that USMCRET will remember you as well.

Katalmach

Donator
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I was going to leave this be but since some of the Legionnaires are confused, I am in a reserve component. I have a civilian job in America, and I train 2 to 4 days a month with the infantry. In the summer, we go for 2 to 4 weeks. It's an ok deal, but I wish I was active duty sometimes

Never made it to France! So that wasn't me taking a picture of myself, there are no pictures of me on this forum anywhere that I know of!

Kronenberg

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I was going to leave this be but since some of the Legionnaires are confused, I am in a reserve component. I have a civilian job in America, and I train 2 to 4 days a month with the infantry. In the summer, we go for 2 to 4 weeks. It's an ok deal, but I wish I was active duty sometimes

Never made it to France! So that wasn't me taking a picture of myself, there are no pictures of me on this forum anywhere that I know of!
Thanks for the clarification.

My apologies for doubting, but the information was a little confusing.

Have fun !

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom

We have similar ( weekend Soldiers)as Billy Connolly sang about.