Go as long as you can

2 types of Whiskies, Islands and Highlands
Whisky makes the old guys in the Pub punchy. My Uncle was in a wheelchair because he had an Amputation below the right knee. When I was about 16 he used to say when my folks were out. Here go and have a few pints & get me a bottle or half bottle of Whisky. Ok unc...I called him unc. I was named after him we got on well. I would say yeah but don't drink too much. No...no i won't. Of course when my parents came back he was leathered.....LOL. My father would say did you get him something? I just could not forbid him some pleasure. Liked his Whisky. Was a good man.

I have read a few times that sometimes the Legion takes guys who were very average. can be fit as a pro athlete but unless you´re keen as mustard they might not take you. I think it goes a lot on your attitude too. I would think your interviews especially the Phycology one are more important.

As for selection the Legion is a law unto itself.
All in the lap of the Gods.
So stop all the excuses, get your arses in gear and Carpe Diem.:)

It is so easy for me to pontificate, which I enjoy, since I am a miserable and cantankerous Old Git.:devilish:

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
I have read a few times that sometimes the Legion takes guys who were very average. can be fit as a pro athlete but unless you´re keen as mustard they might not take you. I think it goes a lot on your attitude too. I would think your interviews especially the Phycology one are more important.
As Chas points out know one really knows what it is the legion is looking for. In my opinion, if you were a common Joe and just manage to get by on your physical, but keep quiet and get on with it. Compared to the big shot doing max on the pull ups and max on the big mouth.
I'd say the first one would stand a better chance, why, because there is room for improvement. The second guy has peaked and it's down hill from there on.

As Chas points out know one really knows what it is the legion is looking for. In my opinion, if you were a common Joe and just manage to get by on your physical, but keep quiet and get on with it. Compared to the big shot doing max on the pull ups and max on the big mouth.
I'd say the first one would stand a better chance, why, because there is room for improvement. The second guy has peaked and it's down hill from there on.
yes agree. I´ll put it this way the ex Royal Anglian(sas) i knew was not Brains of Britain but he had big balls & would carry out any Task no matter what. I later met Royal Signals 264 Signal (sas) Squadron guys. One was a Ssgt the other a W02. Also top guys but more intelligent. I met another LCpl who tried to pass the 264 Course which is not selection as such but attached to 22 SAS. He was a very fit guy but failed ..why because he was a total arrogant dickhead. They look for balls, intelligence...down to earth guys. The Ssgt & W02 were really great guys. no bullshit.

Any one who reads this forum should know by now, it's 7 pull ups. ..if you can do more, all the better and its good for personal satisfaction
No point presenting your self to the Legion, if you can not. Waste of time and money, especialy for them coming from afar (freindly advice)

Any one who reads this forum should know by now, it's 7 pull ups. ..if you can do more, all the better and its good for personal satisfaction
No point presenting your self to the Legion, if you can not. Waste of time and money, especialy for them coming from afar (freindly advice)
and the 7 palier

yes agree. I´ll put it this way the ex Royal Anglian(sas) i knew was not Brains of Britain but he had big balls & would carry out any Task no matter what. I later met Royal Signals 264 Signal (sas) Squadron guys. One was a Ssgt the other a W02. Also top guys but more intelligent. I met another LCpl who tried to pass the 264 Course which is not selection as such but attached to 22 SAS. He was a very fit guy but failed ..why because he was a total arrogant dickhead. They look for balls, intelligence...down to earth guys. The Ssgt & W02 were really great guys. no bullshit.
As we post here for FFL aspirants it is better to remain the Greyman. I often noted that the modest and quieter guys, in the long run were much better than the loud mouthed braggarts. If you were to see me in my youth, or even now, you would be surprised that I had ever served. ( Except at re-unions). I am not large or physically impressive. Joe (Volt) has met me and seen my photos both as a Royal Marine and subsequent officer. Various others have met me Serge et al. I always preferred to exhibit a competent but quiet demeanour and totally without arrogance. Rambos do not rule !

As we post here for FFL aspirants it is better to remain the Greyman. I often noted that the modest and quieter guys, in the long run were much better than the loud mouthed braggarts. If you were to see me in my youth, or even now, you would be surprised that I had ever served. ( Except at re-unions). I am not large or physically impressive. Joe (Volt) has met me and seen my photos both as a Royal Marine and subsequent officer. Various others have met me Serge et al. I always preferred to exhibit a competent but quiet demeanour and totally without arrogance. Rambos do not rule !
Yes...these guys I met were very laid back. I was also on a course at catterick with 2 Gurkhas. A Sgt & Cpl. It was a lineman course at 8 Signal Regiment. The Cpl was friendly but the Sgt was a bit more reserved. End off course piss up the Cpl got drunk with US. ..LOL both good guys. At 8 Sigs there were a lot of Gurkhas on courses. Always well dressed when in civies.

Remember early hours of the morning laying lightweight Quad on the moors pissing rain the Gurkhas jibbering away in nepalese or what ever. We had a Land Rover fitted with an ACL to lay line. Remember saying fuck sake guys let's just lay the feckin line ..comms in clear up in the morning... Haha. Was a howling Wind & rain. Funny at times.

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Former Moderator
It is the mean little bastards you have to look out for, the big and strong loudmouths are often times not up to par in a fight or training exercise.

Most viewed threads of the week