a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Going again

Renard.E

Reaction score
Home Country
Finland
I will go and try again, I will take what they offer, no matter the unit, the rank, I want to be Legionnaire in the army of thousands men and serve well. My path will be exactly what they want to be. My flight to France will be on Monday morning, this time I will go direct to Aubagne.

At this point I want to thank everyone whom has helped me.

Radio silence starts now, signing off.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
All the very best- go for it- keep in touch when you can.
Bonne Chance.

Perun

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Croatia
Bonne chance Renard! May it be all you hope for!

Hitsuji

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Slovenia
Good luck I hope it goes well !

Nickfury

Top Member
Reaction score
Wandering the Earth like Caine from Kung Fu.
Home Country
San Marino
Good luck. Did you fix your eye or are you just giving it another roll of the dice and hoping the doctors overlook it? Hope it's the former, but regardless, good luck and hope you can achieve your dream.

Le Gringo

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I will go and try again, I will take what they offer, no matter the unit, the rank, I want to be Legionnaire in the army of thousands men and serve well. My path will be exactly what they want to be. My flight to France will be on Monday morning, this time I will go direct to Aubagne.

Kick some ass man. I Hope it take 6 months before you can read this.

Gaius

Reaction score
Home Country
United States

My friend I will pray for you. I hope to hear after a certain silence, that you have obtained your kepi blanc!

ynwa81

Reaction score
Home Country
Ireland
Hi all frist time here. Iv a question and id like someone to give me an answer if possible please. Okay go over do well pass everything on your way to your unit. Why do just do 5 years only. 1in4 stay on, And please dont say, being there for the t-shirt thats BS. Like in england America etc. They serve for 10-15-20 years like. Do ffl kick you out or something for not going up ranks or is that an option ,or is it the stress off it is that why they leave, Tbh i dont fancy pushing pens on paper in an office ,im a more of a hands on person. Thanks again guys i hope someone can put my mind at rest.. This is the only info i need to know and please no BS

Don Pedro

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Sweden
(...) Why do just do 5 years only. 1in4 stay on, And please dont say, being there for the t-shirt thats BS. Like in england America etc. They serve for 10-15-20 years like. Do ffl kick you out or something for not going up ranks or is that an option ,or is it the stress off it is that why they leave, Tbh i dont fancy pushing pens on paper in an office ,im a more of a hands on person. Thanks again guys i hope someone can put my mind at rest.. This is the only info i need to know and please no BS

Because the first contract is 5 years and the reason to why people leave mainly is that 5 years is a long time away. Then you have those that, screw up any chances to promotion because they lack discipline and get's kicked out, others manage to rise in rank and leave at 5 years. Some re-enlist for 6 months, a year, or anything between, maximum up to 3 years (which is the legal length of a contract in the regular French army for the enlisted.) and depending on how they serve, will manage to re-enlist until retirement, which as from 2016, will be 17 years and 1/2. But don't you worry, if you are going to join the Legion and manage get past the selection, you will have plenty of time to figure out, it's easier to leave the Legion then join.

Gaius

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Because the first contract is 5 years and the reason to why people leave mainly is that 5 years is a long time away. Then you have those that, screw up any chances to promotion because they lack discipline and get's kicked out, others manage to rise in rank and leave at 5 years. Some re-enlist for 6 months, a year, or anything between, maximum up to 3 years (which is the legal length of a contract in the regular French army for the enlisted.) and depending on how they serve, will manage to re-enlist until retirement, which as from 2016, will be 17 years and 1/2. But don't you worry, if you are going to join the Legion and manage get past the selection, you will have plenty of time to figure out, it's easier to leave the Legion then join.

I thought you could re-enlist with another 5 year contract. In the US, they have 2 year, 4 year, and 5 year contracts I think.

If someone busts ass to gain entrance to a military organization that so few ever get into, why leave?

Don Pedro

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Sweden
I thought you could re-enlist with another 5 year contract. In the US, they have 2 year, 4 year, and 5 year contracts I think.

If someone busts ass to gain entrance to a military organization that so few ever get into, why leave?

The Legion, has that particularity that the first contract is 5 years, after that, you can re-enlist 3 years or less, only some idiot in some office thought it was the thing to do and an order is an order. What the US have, is what the US have. Because, no one is forcing anyone to join the Legion, you get in (if you get in), you serve (better be in a favourable way). Want to leave after 5 years, or to serve more? The ball is in your camp. Simple, No B.S about college and such. :)

Gaius

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
The Legion, has that particularity that the first contract is 5 years, after that, you can re-enlist 3 years or less, only some idiot in some office thought it was the thing to do and an order is an order. What the US have, is what the US have. Because, no one is forcing anyone to join the Legion, you get in (if you get in), you serve (better be in a favourable way). Want to leave after 5 years, or to serve more? The ball is in your camp. Simple, No B.S about college and such. :)

I rather like that.

loustic

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada

If by any chance you look at the forum before entering the gates, find here my best wishes. Luck be with you mate !