a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Going out on a limb here

Sasa92

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Serbia
Maybe this question has been asked before, maybe it has not. Im starting my final 4 months of training, I will be incorporating Stoeng's program in my training. My questions is a medical one. First question that I have it besides the dentist check up and if needed teeth fixing I will be doing next month would you say it is a good idea to go and get hearing and eyesight checked? I have not had any problems with either eye sight or hearing in my life, but since I live 100 meters away from a hearing and eye doctor place should I just go and get it done for the hell of it?

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Canada
Definitely get your teeth checked and fixed if need be. Hearing and eyesight is moot since you wont have time to have anything done about it in the four remaining months. for instance if you were thinking of laser surgery, you would have to wait up to 12 months before applying to the Legion

Sasa92

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Serbia
Getting teeth checked in October, I take good care of them so I dont think I will have any problems. As for eyes is more or less just something to check up on, better wait 12 months if I do have any problems then go and find out during the exam that I have eye problems. More or less these are just safety things I want to do. God bless the Canadian healthcare system for keeping me healthy and without any problems.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
Maybe this question has been asked before, maybe it has not. Im starting my final 4 months of training, I will be incorporating Stoeng's program in my training. My questions is a medical one. First question that I have it besides the dentist check up and if needed teeth fixing I will be doing next month would you say it is a good idea to go and get hearing and eyesight checked? I have not had any problems with either eye sight or hearing in my life, but since I live 100 meters away from a hearing and eye doctor place should I just go and get it done for the hell of it?
You live 100 meters away from a hearing and eye doctor place! That's way too far away! Go to Aubagane (which is nearer) and get turned away because you have an ear problem. Sasa, you are going in order to be a legionnaire, you've got to look further ahead and plan in advance.

Sasa92

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Serbia
Stupid question on my part I admit.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
Sasa, don't take it to heart, what I really meant to say is, you have to look at all the possibilities. Nowadays for un oui ou un non they will turn you away. When you go in front of the recruiters and in the back of your mind you are still wondering about your eyes or you ears if its going to play on you. If you know that physically you are apt, I know that you are apt because you've read most of the threads, then you have no worries. You have to be physically fit and mentally fit. Go for it!

Sasa92

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Serbia
Oh no I didnt, I just though about doing it just to see, even tho I have never had any problems. You wouldn't believe the overboard preparations I would do before a game when I played ice hockey.

M

Martin Scott

Unregistered
Game Day preparations. Did the same when I Played a number of sports. Do the same before you try to join,and bring your A game.

Sasa92

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Serbia
Thought it would be better to ask her then start a new thread. I have looked around the forum and saw that one guy who had posted about his experience during the testing said that one candidate (Ukrainian I believe) and a few others were turned down because they had scars, either from surgeries or something else (cant remember). Question is this, when I was about 11 years old I broke my right arm, the doctor had not fixed it very well so it did not heal properly, after finding out that it had not healed properly I was sent to get surgery done to fix it, plates were put in , then taken out. A year passed and I broke my left arm, lucky I had a different doctor, long story short this doctor did a somewhat better job but when the cast was taken off my arm had very slight curveture of the bone at the wrist area, not noticeable by eye and barely by feel. After these two experiences I went on to live normal life, played sports no problem weight lifted ect. Could this possible become something that will have me turned down?

M

Martin Scott

Unregistered
Thought it would be better to ask her then start a new thread. I have looked around the forum and saw that one guy who had posted about his experience during the testing said that one candidate (Ukrainian I believe) and a few others were turned down because they had scars, either from surgeries or something else (cant remember). Question is this, when I was about 11 years old I broke my right arm, the doctor had not fixed it very well so it did not heal properly, after finding out that it had not healed properly I was sent to get surgery done to fix it, plates were put in , then taken out. A year passed and I broke my left arm, lucky I had a different doctor, long story short this doctor did a somewhat better job but when the cast was taken off my arm had very slight curveture of the bone at the wrist area, not noticeable by eye and barely by feel. After these two experiences I went on to live normal life, played sports no problem weight lifted ect. Could this possible become something that will have me turned down?

Only one way to find out Go as us old farts arent qualified doctors,

Most viewed threads of the week