a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• The Forum will be unavailable within a few hours while we are fixing/upgrading

Good evening everyone!

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Vagrant13,

A belated welcome back. Now I just visit the forum when the fancy takes me. I noticed as a young man that the more mature and mature recruits were much more resilient.

We youngsters needed much more cajoling by our superb and inimitable SNCOs' as young would be commandos.

As an old fart, I look back with pleasant memories to my training by former WW2 Commandos.
(It was bloody hard !)

However my Coveted Green Beret is not for sale.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Vagrant13,

A belated welcome back. Now I just visit the forum when the fancy takes me. I noticed as a young man that the more mature and mature recruits were much more resilient.

We youngsters needed much more cajoling by our superb and inimitable SNCOs' as young would be commandos.

As an old fart, I look back with pleasant memories to my training by former WW2 Commandos.
(It was bloody hard !)

However my Coveted Green Beret is not for sale.
Greetings Chas,

A very awesome and rewarding experience to be sure. I appreciate the advice, I’ll take every tip and edge I can get. I understand completely.

Much appreciated.
Vagrant

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Vagrant, the reason I suggested to get lean is because of what 20-years in the Marine Corps did to me orthopedically carrying around 210 pounds at 18% body fat, which is the Marine Corps Standard because I was over my max. allowed weight for 5'-10" 192-pounds. Over the years that extra muscle mass translated into severely arthritic hips, my left has been replaced and totally destroyed knees, not to mention all the disk herniations. My age also played a factor i served from 25 to 45, that's quite old for the Corps.

I do not regret one minute in the Corps, what I regret is not staying flexible and leaner.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Vagrant, the reason I suggested to get lean is because of what 20-years in the Marine Corps did to me orthopedically carrying around 210 pounds at 18% body fat, which is the Marine Corps Standard because I was over my max. allowed weight for 5'-10" 192-pounds. Over the years that extra muscle mass translated into severely arthritic hips, my left has been replaced and totally destroyed knees, not to mention all the disk herniations. My age also played a factor i served from 25 to 45, that's quite old for the Corps.

I do not regret one minute in the Corps, what I regret is not staying flexible and leaner.
I will definitely take heed of the suggestion, thanks a ton. As enticing as staying in the gym and pulling that heavy weight is, I’ll have to defer to my better judgment and be more prudent about weight lifting, so I’ve been keeping the weight lower for now as far as my traditional lifts go. I’ve been incorporating more running as Joseph suggested, as well as some swimming and grappling as well. Currently sitting at about 195 pounds at 6’0, so it probably couldn’t hurt to shed another 5 pounds or so before shipping off. Not sure what the FFL height/weight standards are, but I’d assume they be comparable to the US’s service branches. Doing everything I can to be set up for success, so the advice is super appreciated 💯

Vagrant

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
I will definitely take heed of the suggestion, thanks a ton. As enticing as staying in the gym and pulling that heavy weight is, I’ll have to defer to my better judgment and be more prudent about weight lifting, so I’ve been keeping the weight lower for now as far as my traditional lifts go. I’ve been incorporating more running as Joseph suggested, as well as some swimming and grappling as well. Currently sitting at about 195 pounds at 6’0, so it probably couldn’t hurt to shed another 5 pounds or so before shipping off. Not sure what the FFL height/weight standards are, but I’d assume they be comparable to the US’s service branches. Doing everything I can to be set up for success, so the advice is super appreciated 💯

Vagrant
As you will be going to France, you might as well get used to the metric system. Especially as there are only three (03) countries left in the world who use imperial weights and measures :cautious:
Liberia, which is the one African country which was never officially colonized,
Burma or Myanmar if you prefer, they probably haven't gotten around to it yet
And a country who uses a different type of writing paper to A4 :ROFLMAO:

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
As you will be going to France, you might as well get used to the metric system. Especially as there are only three (03) countries left in the world who use imperial weights and measures :cautious:
Liberia, which is the one African country which was never officially colonized,
Burma or Myanmar if you prefer, they probably haven't gotten around to it yet
And a country who uses a different type of writing paper to A4 :ROFLMAO:
Ha, Never!

But Joe, I am Chief of Surveyors at my job and our GPS works in Meters

mark wake

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Hi Vagrant, I'm inclined to agree with USMCRET, forget about trying to look hunky and concentrate on long distance running. If you are serious about joining the legion you will follow our advice.
I doubt the man arnold himself would of kept up with any of us when it came to running and marching.. i saw many a weight lifter fall by the wayside!..