a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

good morning!

Reaction score
Home Country
Wales
hello

so you can call me bull.
im currently considering on joining the foreign legion after i experienced the state of british army.
currently working on my fitness as i seen from the fitness forum but i do have a question.
when it comes time to go to paris or marseille to enlist, am i able to drive? is it recommended or not.
will i be able to drive my vehicle from selection to basic (if i pass) or will there be any issues if i drove to marseille as thas where maybe basic begins

im open to any questions you may have and i appreciate any information.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
1. Before the sharks (Greens) come due to the blood in the water (your question), I would highly advise using Google, searching for that answer in the thread (it is in there), or call the Legion recruiters.

2. In my understanding, no, you will not be able to drive. They ship you off when they are done with you in Aubagne.

3. Nice to meet you dude, and good luck with your endeavors.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Hello bulling2447 and welcome to the forum. First of all let me thank you on behalf of the forum for allowing us to call you bull:oops::):).
Let's start with the car -that is a huge NO NO. You will be asked how you got to the recruiting centre and if you tell them by car, you can forget it. They will tell you to go away and come back without it. What then? Leave it in a public parking space with UK registry plates(n)? common bull, wise up.
Try and sell it in France? Selling a car with Brit registration in France without permanent accommodation, not to mention the paperwork involved, which is fairly easy if you speak French and you know what you are doing, will take a while even if you do find a buyer (don't forget they drive on the right side of the road in France:ROFLMAO:
You will not be able to own a car for several years. Don't forget when you join the legion you will no-longer be bulling2447 (bull to his mates) and have a completely different name which will not be the same as the car's papers or the tax and insurance.
will i be able to drive my vehicle from selection to basic (if i pass) or will there be any issues if i drove to marseille as thas where maybe basic begins

Bull, before you make any hasty descisions such as loading up your morris minor
(to quote Bob Dylan):
'How far y'all going asked Ruby with a sigh"
"We'er going all the way, 'till the wheels fall off and burn"

Read up about the legion, where basic training takes place etc

I'll let someone else answer what you should do with your car - no pun intended.

Reaction score
Home Country
Wales
thank you for your reply joseph. i completely forgot about the name changing so that would make sense not to worry traveling by plane will make it enjoyable.... maybe by bus get to see abit of france. :unsure:

with a_wanderer comment... i have actually tried to search it online as i have been doing my own research into the legion but couldnt find any info also what you mean i could call the recruiters? from what i read there no way to contact them instead just show up

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
thank you for your reply joseph. i completely forgot about the name changing so that would make sense not to worry traveling by plane will make it enjoyable.... maybe by bus get to see abit of france. :unsure:

with a_wanderer comment... i have actually tried to search it online as i have been doing my own research into the legion but couldnt find any info also what you mean i could call the recruiters? from what i read there no way to contact them instead just show up

The legion's recruiting website gives the numbers of a few information stations. I contacted them a few weeks back and got some information

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Hi, BS, Nice to meet you and to meet you not
Joining the french foriegn légion to obtain a driving licence ...
Probably the best post i've read on this forum since i joined
@ least you're honest
Is probally true as well
Most recruits joined because they wanted a driving licence
Same for the British Army, i guess ?
What's the bloody point of joining a frigging fighting machine, if you can not be driven to war and with out a yellow fluo jacket. .i ask you?
Long is gone, when the Saints go marching in (they drive to the rendez vous, guided by the dash board light)
Vroom Vroom

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Bulling2447,

Welcome to the forum. Take note of entries from those who are in Green. They have completed their contracts with honour and fidelity.

There are several other participants on the forum with a whole range of military experience.

Finally have you served in the British armed forces and how old are you ? I trust this is no too intrusive

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
with a_wanderer comment... i have actually tried to search it online as i have been doing my own research into the legion but couldnt find any info also what you mean i could call the recruiters? from what i read there no way to contact them instead
Obviously you didn't. If you did research just little bit you wouldn't ask questions like
when it comes time to go to paris or marseille to enlist, am i able to drive? is it recommended or not.
One of first thing you bump across when researching about FFL is that you are not allowed to drive or get married for first 5 y of your contract. Let alone during basics when you can't have phone or laptop.

Maybe you should research little bit more before you decide to join. (Just don't go full on dusaboss mode where you get caught in researching and after a while all you do is researching and never actually join :))

just show up

Train is very good option in France.

Katalmach

Donator
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Legion is like any other army. You didn't drive yourself to basic in England did you? Or....did you?

(Just don't go full on dusaboss mode where you get caught in researching and after a while all you do is researching and never actually join :))

Dusa, you should go, man

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Legion is like any other army. You didn't drive yourself to basic in England did you? Or....did you?

Dusa, you should go, man
Yes, one year ago. :) Had some medical problems. I'm restarting my preparation today

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
OK dusa, that was yesterday, Can you give us an update on your preparations. Rappel: le compte rendu est un acte de combat :coffee: :cool:
I did easy 6km run and couple series of push- ups, sit- ups and abs exercise. I wanted to do pull-ups today but I had some job to do so now is to late to mount bar (it's dark outside). I would pause today and do it tomorrow (that sound promising, isn't it? :))
I'm kidding. I couldn't do it today and also I do not want to start too intense.
Will put some pics tomorrow of my push up bar to prove that I'm doing what I'm saying and as idea for someone how to mount bar easily

Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Why do you poke me all the time? What's about your preparations and trip to France ?

Joining the Legion is a back up plan as I have a few avenues I'd like to try first, hence why I'm reading and absorbing as much information as I can from this website, and the Legion, on a daily basis. When the Legion becomes my only path, I'll be more... "open". In terms of preparation, I could leave tomorrow for France. I don't leave important things to chance.

Why do I poke you? You talk too much, especially when you don't have to, or need to. If somebody asks a question about the Legion, let somebody with actual experience speak, before giving your unnecessary two cents and changing the subject of almost every thread you're on. With all this extra time you waste doing things like this, could be used to prepare yourself for the Legion and LEAVE yesterday and not waste years of your life talking on a forum about how you'd love to join.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Joining the Legion is a back up plan as I have a few avenues I'd like to try first, hence why I'm reading and absorbing as much information as I can from this website, and the Legion, on a daily basis. When the Legion becomes my only path, I'll be more... "open". In terms of preparation, I could leave tomorrow for France. I don't leave important things to chance.

Why do I poke you? You talk too much, especially when you don't have to, or need to. If somebody asks a question about the Legion, let somebody with actual experience speak, before giving your unnecessary two cents and changing the subject of almost every thread you're on. With all this extra time you waste doing things like this, could be used to prepare yourself for the Legion and LEAVE yesterday and not waste years of your life talking on a forum about how you'd love to join.
Man, almost whole your activity on this forum comes down to pricking and disliking me or liking other posts which do the same thing. (people can check this).
So I'm guessing you that have some weird negative obsession with me or this is your second profile made in that purpose.
One way or another you are not worthy of my time so I would leave this here.

Be well. ;)