a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

QUESTION Good responses to question of why you wanted to join the legion?

jwaltos

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
and he doesn't have any military experience, and he doesn't know if he wants to and he's American, you don't have to have a PhD in nuclear fusion to work out the unanimous decision of the conseil. Mate, you don't stand a chance.
Just as a footnote, regarding Piquemal..
"Already holding an engineering diploma from Supélec,[5] in 1969 he began to study nuclear engineering at the University of Paris-Jussieu (French: Université de Paris-Jussieu) and at the School of Military Nuclear Energy Applications (French: École des Applications Militaires de l'Energie Atomique).."

A degree in nuclear engineering does help!

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Ok, lets get this straight, the requirement is being under 39, but you said 37 is already fuc**d up
I just turned 31, how bad is it (probability to be denied by age) ? Practicing sports (such as martial arts, swim, dive, run) would be
relevant or considered as just gym condition?
You got NO already, but you might get YES.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Look where Piquemals carear took him....kicked out of the 2 S
@ Miam : Sklenak is en taule (préventif)...i do not know yet the détails but will find out eventually
Have my hunche's...!

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Sure. I joined back in 2009 after not really wanting to know what I wanted to do with my life. I decided the expense was to great to travel so I just went to college. I have been working in office environments for the last 5-6 years and I am bored. I decided to revisit the idea of trying to join. Here I am . I am not sure when this site opened for business but I feel like I must be an earlier adopter. I watched a video on your youtube channel yesterday and it gave me some perspective on what sort of motivation questions there is and here I am. I do not have a date to leave. I am not even certain it is what I am going to do. I am seriously flirting with the idea but not certain. This is why I am probably posting for the first time in this many years.
Life is often uncertain, often one finds himself unsure of his goals. My advice is to move forward make yourself the best you can be, goals are like mile markers if you change them in mid run it doesn't really matter as long as you are still running. But finding yourself in the mundane when you yearn for something greater, pushing papers is not the answer. Commit yourself to something higher and fallow it through. If want to join the Legion, sell all your belongings buy a plain ticket, to my understanding their recruitment is open 24/7 once you are there they provide everything you need. Or join the US Military. You could be a Navy frogman, Army Green Beret, Airforce PJ, Marine Recon. What ever you decide do it, but it now. You're growing old, and there is, to my opinion anyway, nothing more useless that an old back office weenie pushing papers. If you are still undecided, I suggest taking you Physical Training very serious, paper work turns men Into weaklings and weaklings are not men. My opinion only. Do what ever you like, but remember No like the lukewarm. As it has been said, it is better spewed out of your mouth than swallowed.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Life is often uncertain, often one finds himself unsure of his goals. My advice is to move forward make yourself the best you can be, goals are like mile markers if you change them in mid run it doesn't really matter as long as you are still running. But finding yourself in the mundane when you yearn for something greater, pushing papers is not the answer. Commit yourself to something higher and fallow it through. If want to join the Legion, sell all your belongings buy a plain ticket, to my understanding their recruitment is open 24/7 once you are there they provide everything you need. Or join the US Military. You could be a Navy frogman, Army Green Beret, Airforce PJ, Marine Recon. What ever you decide do it, but it now. You're growing old, and there is, to my opinion anyway, nothing more useless that an old back office weenie pushing papers. If you are still undecided, I suggest taking you Physical Training very serious, paper work turns men Into weaklings and weaklings are not men. My opinion only. Do what ever you like, but remember No like the lukewarm. As it has been said, it is better spewed out of your mouth than swallowed.
*please forgive the typos

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Ok, lets get this straight, the requirement is being under 39, but you said 37 is already fuc**d up
I just turned 31, how bad is it (probability to be denied by age) ? Practicing sports (such as martial arts, swim, dive, run) would be
relevant or considered as just gym condition?
I believe it is 39 and a half years old. But if you are already that old, you should be in peak physical condition, and have some skills that can be utilized, those skills could be anything that is useful, the Legion needs skilled Administrator like all services, (the back office personnel) skilled in I.T. or Communications, Graphics etc. Or a previous Military Career with something solid in it. Other than that, by the time you get squared away a d buy a plane ticket, it will be too late for you anyway. That the problem with procrastination.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
I believe it is 39 and a half years old. But if you are already that old, you should be in peak physical condition, and have some skills that can be utilized, those skills could be anything that is useful, the Legion needs skilled Administrator like all services, (the back office personnel) skilled in I.T. or Communications, Graphics etc. Or a previous Military Career with something solid in it. Other than that, by the time you get squared away a d buy a plane ticket, it will be too late for you anyway. That the problem with procrastination.
If I was you, I would think strongly about presenting yourself, :)

Reaction score
Home Country
England
I am only a visitor on this site but i do not think anyone on here has served recently or is on the selection Board so while i would take advices in your position i would also bear that in mind. If you are so set on the Legion just go. you have nothing to lose have you?
Hope this helps, stay positive !
Shirly xx

Kronenberg

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Anyone care to share regarding my original question for this forum.
There are so many things wrong - and the bottom line is that wanting to join the FFL with the "motivation" of assisting the French military as a "skilled administrator" is undoubtedly far down the list of right answers for EV acceptance.

CAPLE is full of the wounded and weary that do the majority of the paper pushing, but no "skill" is required other than to shuffle paper from one pile to another in a system specifically designed to avoid any artistic interpretation of the job description. Another, not insignificant point is that almost all paper pushing activities require almost perfect written and spoken French for obvious reasons (which presumably you don't have).

Your age is against you, your opinion that your admin skills may be a valuable asset for a fighting outfit are against you, and more than anything else the fact that you can't decide if you've sh$t yourself or not is definitely against you. One of the tests in Aubagne is a time limited IQ test for example where you have to figure out which cog to turn in a maze of other cogs to get a machine to work. Given your apparent confusion about life in general, it sounds as if something like that may take a week or two to figure out.

Nobody wants a procrastinator in their ranks when the sh$t hits the fan, and that's why you've been called a cunt already. Legionnaires are not paid to think (in the early tears of service at least), they just get told what to do and they do it. That may suit the internal torment you harbour - because you don't have to think.

Listen to LPC - get over it and move on.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kronenberg

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I am only a visitor on this site but i do not think anyone on here has served recently or is on the selection Board so while i would take advices in your position i would also bear that in mind. If you are so set on the Legion just go. you have nothing to lose have you?
Hope this helps, stay positive !
Shirly xx
Another plateful of useless and patronising advice it seems.

FYI the legion is a monolith. It may get painted now and again and bits added on or shaved off to show it follows the times, but its underlying shape and function has remained pretty much the same since it's inception.

It's a cannon fodder unit for French politicians no matter how glorious it's made out to be. That's why only nutcases and runners who are somehow content to die young and for no particular reason have historically joined.

It's definitely not a career move or even something you can put on a CV when you get back to civvy street to get a "normal job". Who wants a "Johnny Gotta Gun" working behind the counter in Santander Bank?

Whether ex legionnaires or serving legionnaires speak to wanabees the story will be much the same and thus valid - so just cut out the bullsh$t please.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
I will do it for him, I can tie my shoe laces ( rangers)
Hope this helps ?
We might be auld but we are bold !
Btw, us anciens are here to give positive in put to the wannabez
We ken the craic, hen
We smell chit before it hits the fan and likes....
Just saying
L.P.C.

Kronenberg

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
There are so many things wrong - and the bottom line is that wanting to join the FFL with the "motivation" of assisting the French military as a "skilled administrator" is undoubtedly far down the list of right answers for EV acceptance.

CAPLE is full of the wounded and weary that do the majority of the paper pushing, but no "skill" is required other than to shuffle paper from one pile to another in a system specifically designed to avoid any artistic interpretation of the job description. Another, not insignificant point is that almost all paper pushing activities require almost perfect written and spoken French for obvious reasons (which presumably you don't have).

Your age is against you, your opinion that your admin skills may be a valuable asset for a fighting outfit are against you, and more than anything else the fact that you can't decide if you've sh$t yourself or not is definitely against you. One of the tests in Aubagne is a time limited IQ test for example where you have to figure out which cog to turn in a maze of other cogs to get a machine to work. Given your apparent confusion about life in general, it sounds as if something like that may take a week or two to figure out.

Nobody wants a procrastinator in their ranks when the sh$t hits the fan, and that's why you've been called a cunt already. Legionnaires are not paid to think (in the early tears of service at least), they just get told what to do and they do it. That may suit the internal torment you harbour - because you don't have to think.

Listen to LPC - get over it and move on.

@Joe
A little random perhaps that "shit" got moderated to "sh$t" above, but the inclusion of "cunt" is perfectly fine ?

The old cons know what rude awakening awaits these guys at Castel and beyond. No point in sprinkling things over with icing sugar if the idea is really to help them.

In short - if they get offended at the word "shit" they have no hope whatsoever with being called "espece d'encluer" every 30 minutes, as will likely happen during the first 4 or 5 months of service at least, and would do well to move on.

Just my opinion.

Kronenberg

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Try changing your underwear more often.
Hope this helps
Shirly xx

Dear me...

How did you pass the psychological test ?
I am sure you would not be accepted in todays Legion. The early 80s are not 2021.
Please do not reply to my posts as I find you very abusive and aggressive.
Why don't you leave the boys alone to play?

You know absolutely f@ck all about any of us, what we did in our previous lives, what we do now, and more importantly what new reality awaits the dreamers and wanabees getting a stiffy about the possibility of wearing a Kepi Blanc.

There is no place for females in the Legion (if "female" is indeed what you are) , and thus no place either on a site dedicated to providing 1st hand information to wanabee Legionnaires. It's a 100% male world at EV level - unless you're a pute of course...

You would do better spending your time on Mumsnet or somewhere similar where your social-worker nature could be appreciated in its full glory. It's wasted here.

On the old Cervens forum (that I miss ) you would have been relegated to "Ladies Corner" in a heartbeat, and all the puke and drivel you spout would have been absorbed in the sand bucket there.

Hope that helps.
xx

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
@Joe
A little random perhaps that "shit" got moderated to "sh$t" above, but the inclusion of "cunt" is perfectly fine ?

The old cons know what rude awakening awaits these guys at Castel and beyond. No point in sprinkling things over with icing sugar if the idea is really to help them.

In short - if they get offended at the word "shit" they have no hope whatsoever with being called "espece d'encluer" every 30 minutes, as will likely happen during the first 4 or 5 months of service at least, and would do well to move on.

Just my opinion.
Hi Kro, thanks for your input. The word cunt is not fine, perhaps I missed it. Believe me I don't want to spend my time reading every post in order to see if someone is using foul language. Fortunately no-one does. It is not to protect the delicate ears of those who are going to join. It is more for the mothers and wives and children who come on here to see what their hubby or son et cetera is doing.
The last thing that we want to do is to give them the impression that that the forum of is full of bad mouthed, uncouthed, yobs. Which, granted, most of us who have served are ;), but it would quickly get out of hand.
And where to draw the line? Those in green it's alright and those in blue not?