a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Great News from Calvi

thadeusz

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Belgium
Today is Belgium National Day.

My son sent us today a very good message wishing us a good feast, but saying that Belgium was no longer his country : his "land" was now "his Legion family".
He nevertheless added that he did not forget us and that he still loves his parents.

He also added that he got his para wings recently and that he is now “1ère Classeâ€￾.

I understand that he finished his para training and that his instruction is now finished, but I don't know what he means by 1ère Classe : could someone enlighten me ?

In any case he said that he is still happy. Life there is very hard but he considers it awesome.

He hopes to be sent to Africa as soon as his training his finished. Could somebody tell me what training remains ahead of him ?

Anyway, it will be a great National Day for my wife and me !

okidoki

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
England
If promotions continue at this rate... He will be captain by Christmas.

pop's

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
South Africa
That is great news Thadeusz. You must be very proud of him.

thadeusz

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Belgium
If promotions continue at this rate...he will be captain by Christmas.
What do you mean by "promotion" ? I just know he finished successfully his para training. But he did not mention any promotion, just that he was "1ère Classe" : is that a promotion ???

that is great news thadeusz. You must be very proud of him
Thanks pop's. I start to digest the fact that he left without discussing it with his parents, just a short message at the door of the recruiting place. But yes, I am now very proud of him. Just that I don't understand what “1ère Classeâ€￾ means : we don't have that in the Belgian Army. We have the rank of “Soldatâ€￾ (i.e. PVT) and after several years, a Soldat can become “Premier Soldatâ€￾ (i.e. PFC), but never very rapidly!

Hansenmann

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Denmark
Légionnaire de 1ère Classe is a rank in the Legion. I guess your son has been promoted.

thadeusz

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Belgium
Légionnaire de 1ère Classe is a rank in the Legion. I guess your son has been promoted.
Good news, but so soon? Immediately after the para training? It is only 6 months since he left us! Not that much in the Legion. Do they get rapidly promoted there?

Hansenmann

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Denmark
It is pretty soon but I really have no clue about Legion promotions. I'll let a green answer that question.

goscabcd

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Poland
Légionnaire de 2e Classe is equivalent to Private 2nd class.
Légionnaire de 1ère Classe is as well equivalent to Private First Class. First Class, but still a Private. As far as i know it was possible to achieve this rank after 10 months of service.
His next step in rank is a big one. It is the step to Caporal rank :p. Some candidates can be promoted to Caporal right after Castel but it is really hard.

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
Thadeusz,

Delighted for you and your lady wife that you have received such good news. You patience has been rewarded. As for his rank he remains a Private soldier but a Private First Class. From then on he will proceed to junior NCO level if he so wants and if his superiors deem him to be suitable.

I started off as a Mne 2nd class and as I progressed became a Mne 1st class. At that time I was deemed to be a competent Mne and I believe it would be so with the FFL.

Warm congratulations to him and to you.

pop's

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
South Africa
Johnny only became a 1ère Classe after 18 months. 6 months later he was a Corporal. He was fast tracked because of the shortage of Corporal's. Upset a few because it can take more than 3 years to do the course.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
1ère classe is a distinction not a promotion. Years ago it to a couple of years, nowadays it is a lot quicker. So your son holds the distinction of first class legionnaire. He's got his para wings up and has got in touch. Nice one!
What he said about going to Africa probably meant going on a 4 month mission. You don't get your wings up and then ask to go overseas on a permenant basis. As well there are no more legion regiments permentaly baesd in Africa.
He did it! He made the grade!

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
As for it possibly taking a long time to go on operations in Africa, with the Legion you never know. He'll be in his company now and one of the first things he will do is go down to the stores and check his ‘overseas’ kit bag. Everyone in the REP - and maybe other regiments- has one. It is hot weather gear (uniforms, mosquito net, and so on). This means if the REP has to be deployed to an African country in a hurry everyone's kit is already packed.

Each company specializes in a certain category of warfare. For example the 1st Cie is commando, the 2nd mountain the 3rd Amphibious and so on. So your son's first course will probably be the company's course. Let's take the 3rd Cie. He will be taught to dive and pilote a zodiac, these two qualifications used to be separate courses, but nowadays they are grouped together.

Or if the course is not due for a few months, he could be sent on his driver's course, even if he has a civvy one he will still have to go through the motions. These courses are particularly beneficial for those that could not speak French before joining, loads more vocab.

thadeusz

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Belgium
Thanks to all of you for the good messages you posted in reply to my questions and the very good advices some of you gave me in order not to embarrass my son.

I will simply say that we got another message, which shows that he has not forgotten us.

He tells us that he received his "fourragère" and his wings from the hands of his Colonel because he was the bast during para training, but that he has been punished since then for asking permission to go to town with a not perfectly ironed uniform and not perfectly clean shoes, at least in the eyes of his Caporal-Chef. He is taking it with great humility ! That's no longer the boy we have known and his disorderly way of life. Good for the Legion.

He will soon ask the permission to get a phone and a computer.

We know in which company he is now, but I think it would be proper for me to tell you all that.

He still sounds very happy, considering that he is paid to do an awesome job !

I think I will try to stay in touch with all of you, but stop giving details about my son's new life, and it is apparently a totally new life where he can develop himself in what is for him the best possible way.

Greetings to all

mark wake

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
Thanks to all of you for the good messages you posted in reply to my questions and the very good advices some of you gave me in order not to embarrass my son.

I will simply say that we got another message, which shows that he has not forgotten us.

He tells us that he received his "fourragère" and his wings from the hands of his Colonel because he was the bast during para training, but that he has been punished since then for asking permission to go to town with a not perfectly ironed uniform and not perfectly clean shoes, at least in the eyes of his Caporal-Chef. He is taking it with great humility ! That's no longer the boy we have known and his disorderly way of life. Good for the Legion.

He will soon ask the permission to get a phone and a computer.

We know in which company he is now, but I think it would be proper for me to tell you all that.

He still sounds very happy, considering that he is paid to do an awesome job !

I think I will try to stay in touch with all of you, but stop giving details about my son's new life, and it is apparently a totally new life where he can develop himself in what is for him the best possible way.

Greetings to all

In the legion the Caporal / chefs rule! From now on keep a low profile for you and your son!. The less that is known about him the better! Tell him from me well done! The rest is between you and him!

thadeusz

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Belgium
In the legion the Caporal / chefs rule! From now on keep a low profile for you and your son!. The less that is known about him the better! Tell him from me well done! The rest is between you and him!

Message received !