a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greetings from Norway

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Norway
Hello. I am from the west Norwegian coast. I am joining the legion next summer in hope of staying for at least 10 years. In terms of qualifications and job history mine is sh$t but I did serve as infantry in the Norwegian army as a conscript. They still conscript teenagers and in most all cases they dont want to join, so the legion probably does not value it so much when Norways army is really a joke military.
I really want to join the legion as I see they are honourable and they are not a passive defence force, and instead of conscripting and forcing people to join they let in anyone as long as they have the tested will and the muscle which is awesome. It is opposite of my countries military.
In the legion I want to join the mountain regiment and I think they would be grateful to have a Norwegian there, I have heard the regiment was made for an invasion of Italy but now the purpose of it would be to fight in Norway which does not bother me.
I do not know how to speak French though, but I am proficient in English, I hope that will not be such a big problem as learning French would be my free time in the legion (if I get any).

I have talked to my family about joining but they believe in a lot of sh$t that was taught them about the legion and about foreigners, and the wise man of the family (my father) says the legion is just full of rapist and war criminals. So I will keep it a secret from them.
In my country theres an insult for someone joining another military rather than their own: "fremmedkriger" which is the word for terrorist too (they call foreign legion "fremmedlegionen" which is similar), it means someone who joins a foreign army to "fight for strangers", and that it is sort of illegitimate because you fight for foreigners instead of your mother land. Everyone believes this. I am tired of it and I do not stand for it.
Do not worry about the state of the reputation of the legion and what the militaries and media say about it, they do it in hope that they will not join the legion and rather their own countries military. It probably works, but, in my opinion that makes it so the Legion gets more willed and convicted soldiers while the national militaries get the easily impressionable boneheads.

Last edited by a moderator:

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
North Korea
Hi, FH55 and welcome to the forum
We salut you
Keep your story short and sweet for the Gestapo and be less expansive
L.P.C.

mark wake

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
Hello. I am from the west Norwegian coast. I am joining the legion next summer in hope of staying for at least 10 years. In terms of qualifications and job history mine is sh$t but I did serve as infantry in the Norwegian army as a conscript. They still conscript teenagers and in most all cases they dont want to join, so the legion probably does not value it so much when Norways army is really a joke military.
I really want to join the legion as I see they are honourable and they are not a passive defence force, and instead of conscripting and forcing people to join they let in anyone as long as they have the tested will and the muscle which is awesome. It is opposite of my countries military.
In the legion I want to join the mountain regiment and I think they would be grateful to have a Norwegian there, I have heard the regiment was made for an invasion of Italy but now the purpose of it would be to fight in Norway which does not bother me.
I do not know how to speak French though, but I am proficient in English, I hope that will not be such a big problem as learning French would be my free time in the legion (if I get any).

I have talked to my family about joining but they believe in a lot of sh$t that was taught them about the legion and about foreigners, and the wise man of the family (my father) says the legion is just full of rapist and war criminals. So I will keep it a secret from them.
In my country theres an insult for someone joining another military rather than their own: "fremmedkriger" which is the word for terrorist too (they call foreign legion "fremmedlegionen" which is similar), it means someone who joins a foreign army to "fight for strangers", and that it is sort of illegitimate because you fight for foreigners instead of your mother land. Everyone believes this. I am tired of it and I do not stand for it.
Do not worry about the state of the reputation of the legion and what the militaries and media say about it, they do it in hope that they will not join the legion and rather their own countries military. It probably works, but, in my opinion that makes it so the Legion gets more willed and convicted soldiers while the national militaries get the easily impressionable boneheads.
Well said!