a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greetings from Thailand

Reaction score
Home Country
Thailand
Hello, sawatdee khraap! 🙏

I found my way here after doing some online research for a few friends in the Thai military who wanted to know more about joining the Legion, since the information available on the Thai internet is quite poor.

After passing on as much information as they needed I found that I myself had become interested in joining the Legion.

I'm not here as a wannabe, I know that the only thing that will get me into the Legion is actually DOING it, so no amount of talking, chatting, posting, forum-ing is going to make a difference. I'll get fit enough to join and then whether or not I pull the trigger is a bridge that I'll cross when I get to it.

In the meantime, I hope that at the very least you'll all tolerate me as a history nerd with a curiosity in the Legion past and present.

Que será, será

Crow

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Hi Crow and welcome to the forum. Your English as remarkable for a Thai (especially as your IP shows that you are posting from England).:rolleyes: I'm in Thailand I don't seem to have any trouble getting info on the legion. Perhaps you should change your provider to 3 BB.;)

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Welcome to the forum. The greens (legionnaires) can give you insight on the legion and most information you need. Some other gentlemen of note, veterans of a number of nation's armies are also present, and guys who have made it to selection can also give great advice.

Use the search bar first, and then ask questions if they aren't answered in a previous thread.

Bonne chance.

Reaction score
Home Country
Thailand
Hi Crow and welcome to the forum. Your English as remarkable for a Thai (especially as your IP shows that you are posting from England).:rolleyes: I'm in Thailand I don't seem to have any trouble getting info on the legion. Perhaps you should change your provider to 3 BB.;)

I have benefited from an expensive education and languages were always my thing anyway.

I am also using a VPN to watch British TV. ;)

Reaction score
Home Country
Thailand
And by "Thai internet" I meant the Thai-language cybersphere, which is effectively the only internet/info available for many Thais.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
High Crow. Did you follow this forum before joining it? So , do you have any questions?

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
And by "Thai internet" I meant the Thai-language cybersphere, which is effectively the only internet/info available for many Thais.
I'm sure with your more than exceptional English you should be able to understand You tube documentaries.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
F. mistake :) anyway we gonna leave it here now

He (crow)obviously know things on this forum. If he says that he is new, than he's full of shit

Last edited:
Reaction score
Home Country
Thailand
High Crow. Did you follow this forum before joining it? So , do you have any questions?

Yes I have been reading this forum for a little while before I decided to register so that I can add reactions, comment, etc.

Most of my questions have already been answered by others so now I just need to get my head down with fitness. Thanks.

Reaction score
Home Country
Thailand
I'm sure with your more than exceptional English you should be able to understand You tube documentaries.

Yes, no problem for me, but a problem for my Thai friends with very little English who are interested in joining the Legion.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Crow,

Welcome to the forum. As for being a history nerd that is of little consequence. There are many here who are interested in the FFL and its history.

Note what the Greens have to say since they have completed their contracts with honour and fidelity.

Be circumspect about certain posts from those in Blue.

Reaction score
Home Country
Thailand
Crow,

Welcome to the forum. As for being a history nerd that is of little consequence. There are many here who are interested in the FFL and its history.

Note what the Greens have to say since they have completed their contracts with honour and fidelity.

Be circumspect about certain posts from those in Blue.

Thank you for your kind guidance. 🙏

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Yes, no problem for me, but a problem for my Thai friends with very little English who are interested in joining the Legion.
I just cannot get over how well you speak English, there is not the slightest (for the moment- who knows how it is going to turn out ) grammar error or misspelled word.
I am used to working with Thai AUTHORITIES who cannot write English like you. Are you sure that you are Thai and not just married to a Thai?

Reaction score
Home Country
Thailand
I just cannot get over how well you speak English, there is not the slightest (for the moment- who knows how it is going to turn out ) grammar error or misspelled word.
I am used to working with Thai AUTHORITIES who cannot write English like you. Are you sure that you are Thai and not just married to a Thai?

Sorry for not conforming to the stereotype! 😁

If you're anywhere near Khon Kaen I'm happy to meet and buy you a beer for keeping this forum going. 😉

Edited for PERSEC

Last edited:

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Sorry for not conforming to the stereotype! 😁

If you're anywhere near Khon Kaen I'm happy to meet and buy you a beer for keeping this forum going. 😉

Edited for PERSEC
What Thai beer is your favorite and which you hate the most?

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Nothing surprises me anymore. His english is probably better than mine.

Oh and I think Tiger beer tastes like pee but that is just me

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
He is a spy, or an assassin perhaps.

Reaction score
Home Country
Thailand
What Thai beer is your favorite and which you hate the most?

So my Gestapo phase starts on Cervens :eek:, alors ...

I don't have a favourite Thai beer because they're a much of a muchness. I'm so bored of the two, sometimes three choices that it doesn't really make much difference which one is on offer. I won't go into Snowy (which I sometimes like), U-Beer, Federbräu etc because availability is patchy, and the myriad Thai craft beers, nice as they are, are actually brewed in Cambodia.

Singha : The original Thai brown-bottle beer, a bit on the fizzy side but heavier and more bitter than Leo. Reminds me of Stella Artois after coming back from Europe. Not enticing enough to warrant the extra 10 - 20 baht premium over the other two for a big bottle though (most places I drink at don't sell the small stubbies that expats tend to favour).

Leo : Singha's little brother. Nice malty taste for the first few glasses, then goes bit sour on my palate. Can be quite refreshing and a bit more uplifting than the other two, but also sometimes not enough body depending on what you're eating.

Chang : Strong, strident flavour. Goes well with spicy food. Sometimes smells a bit like egg farts if not cold enough. Rumour has it that the recipe was ripped off from Carlsberg because Thai-Bev, the Chang brewer, learned how to make beer as a contract brewer for Carlsberg in Thailand. For some reason tastes a lot better in Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai. Must be something to do with the altitude because there are only two Chang breweries in the country, none of which are in the north.

Archa and Cheers can go on the 'hated' list because they taste really chemically to me. I avoid them so cannot provide further tasting notes.

Last edited: