a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greetings from the USA

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
Hello everyone. I'm a long time listener first time caller. I'm an American from the Eastern US looking to join the FFL when ever this COVID-19 hysteria nonsense ends. I won't go into too much detail about myself other than, I'm a recent college graduate with a technical degree and I'm looking to leave the US and earn my keep in EU through military service. There are number of reasons that I would rather serve in the FFL rather than US military but the main one being that the FFL can offer me the opportunity to:

1. Earn EU/French citizenship
2. Serve with people from all different walks of life and countries
3. Learn new languages (mainly French)

I don't really have anything preventing me from buying a plane ticket to Marseille and trying to join up tomorrow other than COVID travel restriction. I'm also working on losing a bit more fat so that I can meet the BMI standards. Other than that I have had no issues with the law or medical issues.

I know a lot of guys join the FFL because they might've had some issues with the law and a lot of posters ask if their crimes will hold them back. I'm curious as to whether or not the Gestapo will disqualify someone if they previously worked in a Law Enforcement role in their country? Asking for a friend.

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Canada
Hello everyone. I'm a long time listener first time caller. I'm an American from the Eastern US looking to join the FFL when ever this COVID-19 hysteria nonsense ends. I won't go into too much detail about myself other than, I'm a recent college graduate with a technical degree and I'm looking to leave the US and earn my keep in EU through military service. There are number of reasons that I would rather serve in the FFL rather than US military but the main one being that the FFL can offer me the opportunity to:

I don't really have anything preventing me from buying a plane ticket to Marseille and trying to join up tomorrow other than COVID travel restriction. I'm also working on losing a bit more fat so that I can meet the BMI standards. Other than that I have had no issues with the law or medical issues.

I know a lot of guys join the FFL because they might've had some issues with the law and a lot of posters ask if their crimes will hold them back. I'm curious as to whether or not the Gestapo will disqualify someone if they previously worked in a Law Enforcement role in their country? Asking for a friend.
In my opinion, having worked in law enforcement can only be in your/his favor.
Make sure you can do all the preliminary physical tests they do before they send you to the next level of tests.
Use the search function for specific questions first, you will find probably a lot of your questions answered.

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
In my opinion, having worked in law enforcement can only be in your/his favor.
Make sure you can do all the preliminary physical tests they do before they send you to the next level of tests.
Use the search function for specific questions first, you will find probably a lot of your questions answered.
Thank you for the input voltigeur. I'll be making good use of that search function.
Hi Engineer00 and welcome to the forum.
Thank you for the warm welcome Joseph.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Hi and welcome.
I would rather serve in the FFL rather than US military but the main one being that the FFL can offer me the opportunity to:

Reasons you gave are probably not good enough in order for someone to accept you in FFL. Maybe you should think about few more if you go. Reasons which would make them think you would stay for 5 y.

Why do you want French citizenship? Is not like US is that bad.

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
Hi and welcome.

Reasons you gave are probably not good enough in order for someone to accept you in FFL. Maybe you should think about few more if you go. Reasons which would make them think you would stay for 5 y.

Why do you want French citizenship? Is not like US is that bad.
I've thought about it plenty. Whenever these COVID travel restrictions lift, I'll be going.

As far as why I want French citizenship, It's because I want to start a life for myself in the EU. I've been stuck in this corner of the world for a long time (almost 30 years) and I want to leave. Also, things in the US aren't exactly great and they will continue to get worse with our new president imo.

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Canada
In today's Local news paper.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-06-10 073443.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-06-10 073443.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 11
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
In today's Local news paper.
I've seen a lot of articles on this as well. Still looks like it's in the beginning stages of re-opening. I've been paying attention to what the consulate website has been saying:

I'll be coming from an orange country and it looks like they are requiring people to get vaccinated before they can travel. I honestly dont want to get this vaccine that was rushed out the door. Anyone know if the Legion will make the vaccine mandatory.

USMCRET

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States

And a Rush fan from what I can tell

"I'm a long time listener first time caller."

Wow, it is refreshing and I think a damned good response when the Gestapo asks well why were you not a Marine or a Soldier?

So for sure you will not have much if any trouble with the test there, what about the physical aspect of it?

USMCRET

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
I've thought about it plenty. Whenever these COVID travel restrictions lift, I'll be going.

As far as why I want French citizenship, It's because I want to start a life for myself in the EU. I've been stuck in this corner of the world for a long time (almost 30 years) and I want to leave. Also, things in the US aren't exactly great and they will continue to get worse with our new president imo.
From what I can again glean, you're approaching 30, the clock is ticking and I know you probably have read other posts where Joe straight away tells the "aspirant" age is not in your favor, it does not disqualify you but they take a much harder look at you. Education, Law Enforcement, and Maturity can work in your favor.

I believe you would need to hit the ground there hard and achieve super good scores on your physical tests, as Joe states you are going up against early 20 something's with zero life and the Legion will and does take advantage of it, Sh$t, they should take advantage of it IMO, helps cut down desertion.

Look up the West Point Graduate, Lieutenant Franks, that went AWOL from the US Army and turned up 5 years later to face the music in the US, his story was and remains incredible.

Finally, make sure you check any attitude at the door, European Culture and Our American Culture are far different and do not go in with an attitude I am an American there's no way they would pass on me.

Welcome, I was 25-years Old when I enlisted in the USMC. I retired at 45-years old, I know you can make it, but at an older age being more muscle bound, a heavy weight lifter, is not good, it is far better to be leaner and more aerobic to handle military life.

Last edited by a moderator:

USMCRET

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
I've seen a lot of articles on this as well. Still looks like it's in the beginning stages of re-opening. I've been paying attention to what the consulate website has been saying:

I'll be coming from an orange country and it looks like they are requiring people to get vaccinated before they can travel. I honestly dont want to get this vaccine that was rushed out the door. Anyone know if the Legion will make the vaccine mandatory.
I'd venture to say every service will require it, just the same as any other vaccine required per year or in a time frame

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
I thank you for your input USMCRET. I admittedly have some preparing to do prior to leaving. Thankfully, I have this message board to look through for further helpful info. If push comes to shove and I have to get this vaccine then it is what it is and I guess I'll just have to get pricked.

At my age my body hasn't gone to complete sh$t like a lot of other Americans my age so it should only take me a couple of months to get myself to where I need to physically.

Last edited by a moderator:

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Canada

Actually, this vaccine was not rushed out the door as you stated, they had already gained a lot of information from studies about the SARS virus and done a lot of testing.
As with any vaccine and medication, some people will get undesirable side effects.
I had Covid-19 in February and had my two jabs in early March and April.
I would expect that the Legion would require to have both inoculations before trying to join.

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
Showing up with a a validated CDC Card might carry a bit of weight
As it stand right now I'll need that just to get on the plane as well as a negative test.
Actually, this vaccine was not rushed out the door as you stated, they had already gained a lot of information from studies about the SARS virus and done a lot of testing.
As with any vaccine and medication, some people will get undesirable side effects.
I had Covid-19 in February and had my two jabs in early March and April.
I would expect that the Legion would require to have both inoculations before trying to join.

Oh yeah its totally a safe vaccine. I wonder what the long term side effects will be. Like I said already, If push comes to shove and I have to get myself injected with this poison I'll do what have to. For now I've got 2-3 months before I plan on leaving.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
The further along we go with Covid, the more you will be required to be vaccinated. Europe is already talking about a 'Europass', which you will be required to have before you can go to another European country.
As for is, Erika and I, we are still waiting on the possibility of getting the first jab. The country has run out. We have only had the opportunity to get our names on the list on the 5th of June. We were told that it may take a month. I won't mention which country we are living in on an open media platform.

USMCRET

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
As it stand right now I'll need that just to get on the plane as well as a negative test.

Oh yeah its totally a safe vaccine. I wonder what the long term side effects will be. Like I said already, If push comes to shove and I have to get myself injected with this poison I'll do what have to. For now I've got 2-3 months before I plan on leaving.
Look, the military's is no place for an anti vaxer, not saying you are but every year we had to get the Plague, Typhoid, a PPD test for Tuberculosis, flu, and a whole host of vaccines. You will be a pin cushion

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
Look, the military's is no place for an anti vaxer, not saying you are but every year we had to get the Plague, Typhoid, a PPD test for Tuberculosis, flu, and a whole host of vaccines. You will be a pin cushion
I did a video about the vaccinations, I'm quite sure that I posted it on here, I'll have a look see.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
No, I can't find it, but it is in one of the videos about joining the legion. It does go on to say that you will be vaccinated for everything from Polio to Typhoid, with a list of all the vaccinations that you will get when you join. It explains that before giving you a vaccination you will be first tested to see if you need it. i.e. if as a child you haven't already be vaccinated.
It is worth remembering that you will be serving with people who come from all walks of life. It is also worth noting that you may be called upon to serve in countries where certain illnesses have not been irradiated, such as Mali where you need must have a yellow fever vaccination.

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
The further along we go with Covid, the more you will be required to be vaccinated. Europe is already talking about a 'Europass', which you will be required to have before you can go to another European country.
As for is, Erika and I, we are still waiting on the possibility of getting the first jab. The country has run out. We have only had the opportunity to get our names on the list on the 5th of June. We were told that it may take a month. I won't mention which country we are living in on an open media platform.
I'm sorry to here that Joe. I went down to my local pharmacy yesterday to see if I could get a vaccine and they said it would be no problem. They would've preferred it if I called ahead but they said they were willing to give me the shot right there and then. Regardless of whether or not I want to get the vaccine or not it is something I'm going to have to take regardless. I have reservations about getting the vaccine for reasons I have already stated but that is just my opinion and you have your opinions which I respect.
No, I can't find it, but it is in one of the videos about joining the legion. It does go on to say that you will be vaccinated for everything from Polio to Typhoid, with a list of all the vaccinations that you will get when you join. It explains that before giving you a vaccination you will be first tested to see if you need it. i.e. if as a child you haven't already be vaccinated.
It is worth remembering that you will be serving with people who come from all walks of life. It is also worth noting that you may be called upon to serve in countries where certain illnesses have not been irradiated, such as Mali where you need must have a yellow fever vaccination.
Compared to everything else I need to do to prepare for the journey Aubagne, getting this vaccine is the least of my worries. However, I do greatly appreciate you giving me information about other vaccines they will require new candidates to receive.