Has the Legion lost its attraction?

• Total voters

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
Just thought I would throw this into the fire! Do you think the internet social media and wide access to information has in a way made it less appealing to join the Legion?
I have my thought would be good to hear from others their views, as political correctness moulds society and laws are passed to protect civil rights I doubt now I would spend 21 days smashing a granite rock in Djibouti in the mid day sun with my kit water bottle just siting in the sun guarded at all times outside the captains bunk, he would open his window if he felt I was not doing it fast enough and remind me of the absence of Paris Match and the outside world that he would break me, still a top officer as I always took ownership ship for my crazy ways and did my time! That apart I was not a bad mate on the field to have about I was born to be a soldier😀but drink just brought the nutter out of me!

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
North Korea
My opinion and Mines only. ..boom boom !
Recent years has had it's over dose of wars. .gets bloody boring watching the news updates 24 /24 and 7 day's a week
Bit like T.V.reality...Secret Story
Okay, the 1st and just for fun
But once you have seen and endured the first serie. ..fk the rest and live happyily ever after
Wars have to be found and fought and do not exclude the funding. ..is if i have the time and means to do such but others have
We are ruled by over excentric égoïste wankers. .army brass and politicians (who have a desire that a bronze statue will be built on some precious fertile land (and sod the bees). ... .a couple of streets that mention their names, a college or 2 even, why not ,eventually
Funding i mentioned. .Bankers i say are heisters, who dictate what politicians and the Generals do and say (it's all about the BUDGET) .We have been robbed and that's an under statment
Often i say to my self. ..'it's just a dream. .bad one, certe, but just a dream with a limited expiary date'

After the storm comes the calm

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
Times change & Things move on. Way of the World. Not always for the better either... 🤔

USMCRET

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
The youth of today are getting far too soft, Snowflakes as we call them. Maybe it has lost its mystique, not the adventure it was for you older guys. Also, Political Correctness has oozed its nasty way into the services. The days of breaking rocks, being slapped in the head, or hazed without much mercy are over. La Légion is part of the French Army and has to adapt to their lighter hand. Believe it or not, here in the US the Supreme Court had to rule on President Trump's Executive Order banning Trannies, WTF, Over! Trannies may want in to the Marine Corps, however, they have no idea of the hazing to come. The President and others know deep down, the military is not a SOCIAL EXPERIMENT! Damned Libtards try to make it so, all it results in is some fine young warrior being discharged because of hazing or worse.

Crawdad

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
It may have lost some of its mystique, I suppose, but not its appeal. The kids are still lining up at FdN, after all.

When I was a kid in 1980's America, Army Special Forces-- 'Green Berets' --were widely regarded as the best of American SOF. This perception was due in no small part to the sheer volume of media about them, going back to the 1960's. There was the John Wayne film, the Barry Sadler song, 'Rambo', and about a frigging thousand B-movies. So, just about every boy in town went through a phase of wanting to be a Green Beret at some point.

Then came the 1990's, and SEALS started to become the hot new thing in Hollywood. Post 9-11, this trend really starting pegging out; American Sniper, Act of Valor, Lone Survivor, Zero Dark Thirty, and the list goes on and on. Apparently, everyone who ever earned a Trident is going to have a film made about them. So now Seals are the coolest thing since sliced bread.

Point is, positive mass media has long been an effective recruiting tool.

That said, negative media can have an adverse effect. Which is why Trumbo's Johnny Got his Gun was made required reading by certain anti-war high school teachers/administrators in certain school districts.

And then there's this gem. 'LOL Hey Guys Join the Marines and Like Fight Dragons And Sh*t':

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
A very modern form of Marine commercial.

Our RM commercials are based on factual activities with the hope that they will inspire potential candidates.

You don't meet any dragons on the Exe Mud run or on the Dartmoor timed 30 miler. However you might have to conquer your personal demons to pass commando training. 99% need not apply.:D

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
It may have lost some of its mystique, I suppose, but not its appeal. The kids are still lining up at FdN, after all.

When I was a kid in 1980's America, Army Special Forces-- 'Green Berets' --were widely regarded as the best of American SOF. This perception was due in no small part to the sheer volume of media about them, going back to the 1960's. There was the John Wayne film, the Barry Sadler song, 'Rambo', and about a frigging thousand B-movies. So, just about every boy in town went through a phase of wanting to be a Green Beret at some point.

Then came the 1990's, and SEALS started to become the hot new thing in Hollywood. Post 9-11, this trend really starting pegging out; American Sniper, Act of Valor, Lone Survivor, Zero Dark Thirty, and the list goes on and on. Apparently, everyone who ever earned a Trident is going to have a film made about them. So now Seals are the coolest thing since sliced bread.

Point is, positive mass media has long been an effective recruiting tool.

That said, negative media can have an adverse effect. Which is why Trumbo's Johnny Got his Gun was made required reading by certain anti-war high school teachers/administrators in certain school districts.

And then there's this gem. 'LOL Hey Guys Join the Marines and Like Fight Dragons And Sh*t':

great recruiting commercial :love:

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
North Korea
A multitude of documentary reportages on TV and You Tube kills the myth (if there ever was one)

Post Shitum
I voted maybe and that's like saying, dont know, maybe?

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Yugoslavia

Actually I think that commercial is pretty effective on today's youth. Its connecting marines and world of video games and majority of young guys are easy to identify with.
It worked on me. And no, it didn't give me false impression that I would do things like that in corps. It simply hits right triggers in brain.

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
The Legion will always draw young men.. It's the kepi you See. Gets the chicks. As long as they keep the kepi & take any nationality it will stay The Legion. Brutality alone does not make a good soldier.

jonny

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Norway
Yeah, it was a bit like that! Watch out you “Pieds-Noirs” and lock up your daughters, Jonny is in town!

17E9E341-CC45-4E76-A769-697DF108419A.jpeg

Most viewed threads of the week