a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Having a serving girlfriend ...

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
. But I have no idea who the UK's premier Mountain Warfare guys are. The Highlander's, maybe?
Would be The SAS or marines. The SAS apparently have a troop who train for this. Marines must have too. Don't know of any other UK unit trained to the required Standard.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Check out these Girls but SF at 19? šŸ¤” I like the blondy nice hair.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Would be The SAS or marines. The SAS apparently have a troop who train for this. Marines must have too. Don't know of any other UK unit trained to the required Standard.
Mountain and arctic warfare Cadre RMs 9 months basic training, minimum CPL before even applying.

Crawdad

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Yeah but the chick Looks quite Hot. šŸ˜„If the sexpert is around she won't be wearing it long šŸ˜‹šŸ˜

Well, of course she wouldn't; she couldn't escape nearly as fast with that parachute attached to her dome. ;)

I kid, I kid.

Regarding the Norwegians; 19 does seem young for SF. AFAIK, it's currently possible in the US MIL. Of course, it's incredibly unlikely.

I can't speak for the Marines or Air Force, but the Navy has a program wherein a 17 year old can enlist under a SEAL contract. Theoretically, at least, one could earn their Trident before their 20th birthday; I'm unaware if anyone has done so.

As for the Army; there is a similar program-- a Special Forces contract for new recruits-- but as of 2013, that was closed to anyone under 20. (May not be the case now).

The other, more traditional, route would be to enlist on a non SF contract, and just drop an SF request once you got to your first unit. But the problem there is, almost noone is going to approve that request if it's coming from some 17 1/2 year old kid who just got out of Basic. We were almost perpetually under strength, for one thing, and it was always a crapshoot on whether the FNG's would turn out to be dirtbags or decent soldiers, much less viable SF candidates.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Well, of course she wouldn't; she couldn't escape nearly as fast with that parachute attached to her dome. ;)

I kid, I kid.

Regarding the Norwegians; 19 does seem young for SF. AFAIK, it's currently possible in the US MIL. Of course, it's incredibly unlikely.

I can't speak for the Marines or Air Force, but the Navy has a program wherein a 17 year old can enlist under a SEAL contract. Theoretically, at least, one could earn their Trident before their 20th birthday; I'm unaware if anyone has done so.

As for the Army; there is a similar program-- a Special Forces contract for new recruits-- but as of 2013, that was closed to anyone under 20. (May not be the case now).

The other, more traditional, route would be to enlist on a non SF contract, and just drop an SF request once you got to your first unit. But the problem there is, almost noone is going to approve that request if it's coming from some 17 1/2 year old kid who just got out of Basic. We were almost perpetually under strength, for one thing, and it was always a crapshoot on whether the FNG's would turn out to be dirtbags or decent soldiers, much less viable SF candidates.
I only knew two guys who went for SAS selection one was infantry i think he was about 26 at the time. The other was in the Artillery & was 30/31 a Sgt. They would never let any sprog/red arse go for selection plus you have to have done at least 2 years (i believe) anyway most are guys who have been in a while as they know that no one will take them serious unless an experienced soldier & they know they have what it takes to at least have a chance of passing.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
I only knew two guys who went for SAS selection one was infantry i think he was about 26 at the time. The other was in the Artillery & was 30/31 a Sgt. They would never let any sprog/red arse go for selection plus you have to have done at least 2 years (i believe) anyway most are guys who have been in a while as they know that no one will take them serious unless an experienced soldier & they know they have what it takes to at least have a chance of passing.
Also you have to remember that you are, at first, representing your regiment. Although there is no shame in having tried and not made the grade, but turning out to be useless doesn;t look to good on your regiment.

Crawdad

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Also you have to remember that you are, at first, representing your regiment. Although there is no shame in having tried and not made the grade, but turning out to be useless doesn;t look to good on your regiment.

Yes! Same with us. Man, if I had to name one thing this place has taught me, it's that soldiers are more or less the same anywhere. Although with us, the "focus", for lack of a better word, is at the Company level.

A Marine Officer, Nate Fick, summed up the American mentality best. To paraphrase: "My Squad is the best. My Platoon is Awesome. The Company is pretty good; the Battalion sucks, and the Brigade/Regiment is actively trying to kill us."

But yes, guys who were sent to the "cool guy" schools (Airborne, Air Assault, Ranger, Sapper) and failed caught a lot of flak when they returned to the Company. There was definitely that air of them having disgraced us.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Yeah.. Most are infantry who go paras ..etc but even a chef can go Joe :D do you know of any who have passed ? guys who did fail mostly failed because of an injury. One i was told got injured on the jungle phase but they kept him so maybe made it(not sure. i knew him but not well). The Infantry guy i knew got an injury on the jump training. while he was recovering they put him on a language course Russian. he could speak fluent German so i suppose hey thought he had an apptitude for learning Russian ! anyway he did get badged in the end.
so it would seem that if they think you are worth it theyĀ“ll keep you but others get injured & Binned sent back & failed. RTU, return to unit. so you never know but maybe itĀ“s the same in the Legion.

Last edited:

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
I have no idea if or how many chefs have passed the selection to join the SAS. I'm sure there are though. I suppose once you join the regiment you kind of slip under the radar, whether you are a chef or a REME or pay clerk, unless you plan on making a big name for yourself in writing, you are more or less wiped off of your old regiment's books. I mean in St Omar barracks we had chefs who were para trained, all arms Commando trained, but I never heard of anyone of the instructors who were SAS trained.

And before anyone asks, why they would even have ex para trained,? Because during basic training, as a junior, 16-18, you do one week cooking and one week military. sS yes, our drill instructors were all infantry and our our field craft were go hung guys. No stopping for muslim prayers in those days :unsure: o_O.

Which reminds me that today is Tabaski. I really haven't got the patience (nothing racist intended here at all !) to explain what it is. If you are interested Bing it.

BTW Bing it is another version of google it.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I have no idea if or how many chefs have passed the selection to join the SAS. I'm sure there are though. I suppose once you join the regiment you kind of slip under the radar, whether you are a chef or a REME or pay clerk, unless you plan on making a big name for yourself in writing, you are more or less wiped off of your old regiment's books. I mean in St Omar barracks we had chefs who were para trained, all arms Commando trained, but I never heard of anyone of the instructors who were SAS trained.

And before anyone asks, why they would even have ex para trained,? Because during basic training, as a junior, 16-18, you do one week cooking and one week military. sS yes, our drill instructors were all infantry and our our field craft were go hung guys. No stopping for muslim prayers in those days :unsure: o_O.

Which reminds me that today is Tabaski. I really haven't got the patience (nothing racist intended here at all !) to explain what it is. If you are interested Bing it.

BTW Bing it is another version of google it.
i could imagine guys with skills like ex Engineers are liked but as you wrote you start again so they will train you anyway. I also heard of an Officer who was a Maj when i spoke to him that went for selection & he was going to take a drop in rank so he never did it. was told this not by him but a Cpl in the Regiment so not sure if this was true or not.

Surfguy

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
What happens if you got married without asking for permission? are you booted out?
Interesting question, I doubt you`d be booted out but I bet there would be repercussions , no doubt its been done before.

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
So I suspect that if the Chasseurs Alpins had a bit more fame or notoriety, you'd see other units wearing pizza hats, too.
This large beret is an integral part of their traditions. You wouldnā€™t imagine any other unit than the Legion adopting the kĆ©pi blanc. Itā€™s nicknamed la tarte (meaning the pie in French, nothing to do with the similar word ā€œtartā€ in English... :)).

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
This large beret is an integral part of their traditions. You wouldnā€™t imagine any other unit than the Legion adopting the kĆ©pi blanc. Itā€™s nicknamed la tarte (meaning the pie in French, nothing to do with the similar word ā€œtartā€ in English... :)).
I like pies šŸ˜‹.

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
(...) Which reminds me that today is Tabaski. I really haven't got the patience (nothing racist intended here at all !) to explain what it is. (...)
I can do that for you. Tabaski is the name used in Western and Central Africa for the Eid al-Adha Muslim religious celebration. The last day of life for many sheep...

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
I was told by a ā€œchasseur de lapinsā€ (pun intended...) that the over sized beret was designed to be pulled down to protect the side of the face most exposed to the freezing alpine winds. Although it may sound plausible, it was in an Irish bar in Paris on the 14th of July after the dĆ©filĆ© and several Kros. Was he taking the Mick (I'm on form today) I don't know.
As for getting booted out if you were to get married without permission, I don't know. What I do know is that you would not sign on again. Also, the complications that it would entail, I mean, filling in the registry alone: 'occupation' 'address' etc. I don't think it would be worth the hassle to be quite honest.
Being a legionnaire and ā€œliving in sinā€ kind of go together, n'est-ce pas ? ;)

Reaction score
Home Country
Philippine
If I remember correctly, Operation Sentinelle is when you're patrolling Paris right? Since we're talking about girlfriends, what happens if you're caught by your COs flirting with the locals?

jonny

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Norway
If I remember correctly, Operation Sentinelle is when you're patrolling Paris right? Since we're talking about girlfriends, what happens if you're caught by your COs flirting with the locals?
Silly question, this is the French army, the most successful flirters are the young lieutenants. They never pass up on a chance.