a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Heading out soon

Failatron

Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
After a year of waiting, I’ll be heading out to Aubagne by the end of this month. First time I went I hit level 7 at Luc-Léger and 2 pullups, passed the rest of the tests. Now I can hit level 9, do 7 clean pull ups and run 3km in 12 mins. 32 and 88kg, trilingual (eng/fr/ru) and nothing holding back. I know how the procedure goes but just seeking some opinions if i’m good to go. Any idea is more than welcome.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Hi Failatron and welcome
Are you in a rush ? If not try and get better before attempting
Do not let impatience get the better of you

Failatron

Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Hi Failatron and welcome
Are you in a rush ? If not try and get better before attempting
Do not let impatience get the better of you
Kinda short on time and money, so basically the sooner the better. What should i improve before leaving? Weight/Pullups/Running?

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Loose some weight and try your best to achieve 10 at least pull ups
Just being able to pull 7 at 88 kg is...limit (what happens on a bad day ? ) can you pull 7 evry time ? Lighter you are the easier it might be and you might be able to endure running the Luc Léger better
Do you smoke ? Drink?
Determination is going to be your best freind (the Legion dosen't provide it, you are on your own)

Failatron

Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Loose some weight and try your best to achieve 10 at least pull ups
Just being able to pull 7 at 88 kg is...limit (what happens on a bad day ? ) can you pull 7 evry time ? Lighter you are the easier it might be and you might be able to endure running the Luc Léger better
Do you smoke ? Drink?
Determination is going to be your best freind (the Legion dosen't provide it, you are on your own)
I quit smoking years ago and not drinking. My problem was my weight (98kg 2 months ago) that i gained over time due to the lack of physical exercise and bad food (lots of carbs). I can lose some extra kgs in a week or 2 and hopefully reach 10 pullsups by then. I’ve been doing 7 for the past 3 weeks. I remeber when i got discharged temporaire, the adjudant chef said when i come back, i should be doing about 10 pullups.

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Just to put in prospective I do 15-20 every day except Sunday Tuesday Thursday why you need time to recover muscle tears and the repair makes it stronger and bigger I could pass the test at my age I can’t run on tarmac or hard ground the knees are done but I can walk as fast as some of you run and f I’m fast on a bike honestly think some of you live in cuckoo land wake up see the wood for the trees some of us older guys might agree? II did not release you might not get in . I thought any mad Jock could get in and you no what I was shocked to watch guys getting a hair cut then a lift back to the station it was a shock! Think that ment less presure till they started playing Russia roulette 👨🏻‍✈️

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Post on here regulary your weight and how many pull ups you do. ..no lying tolerated
If you are able to have acces to monkey bars, do it and try to improve your performance (you know what monkey bars are ? )

Failatron

Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Post on here regulary your weight and how many pull ups you do. ..no lying tolerated
If you are able to have acces to monkey bars, do it and try to improve your performance (you know what monkey bars are ? )
Yeah i know what those are. There are pullup bars, monkey and parallel bars in the woods near my place, i run there every day. I can make the way and forth without dropping. Anything else i should use?

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Add some swimming into your schedule, will do you good
You can swim ?
Press ups. ..and properly with out cheating (you will do plenty of them in instruction, mostly for punishment )

Failatron

Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Yeah i can swim without any issues. About 30 pushups, should increase gradually as i lose more weight.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Sounds fair. If you are short on time and money, you will have to give it your best once at Aubange (no other option. ..from pull ups and the rest, get selected, your future depends on it )

Failatron

Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Going to do my best during these days to lose weight and improve pullups. Don’t wanna blow my second chance.

Failatron

Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Got my one way ticket and leaving in about a week. Currently managed to drop 2kg so now at 86 but pull ups are merely at 8, gonna keep pushing and hopefully i’ll be able to get those 10 by the time at the door. On the other hand my running has improved since i got for 5/7km in morning and evening. Time is running out for me unfortunatly.

SnafuSmite

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
Keep at it mate but dont do anything stupid like injuring yourself. Keep up the good work. If you can lose another 3-4 kgs youll be in a good wicket.

Failatron

Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Keep at it mate but dont do anything stupid like injuring yourself. Keep up the good work. If you can lose another 3-4 kgs youll be in a good wicket.
Thanks man. An extra 3kg in a week gonna be hard, but not impossible. Will update the progress in few days.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Thanks man. An extra 3kg in a week gonna be hard, but not impossible. Will update the progress in few days.
Hi Failtron, you said yourself that you first tried a year ago. Now you are going to try and loose 3kg in a week.
Saying that good luck to you. As le petit caporal suggested, if you can hold out a bit longer, than do. Don't forget that any change to your body such as weight lose, takes time to get used to. I would also suggest that loosing weight by cutting down on your food, not just the calories, intake would be beneficial. You will get your first pull up test as soon as you get to the gate. Then a couple of days, on meager rations (or so it seems), you will get the real one. Followed or precedented by the Luc.

Failatron

Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Hi Failtron, you said yourself that you first tried a year ago. Now you are going to try and loose 3kg in a week.
Saying that good luck to you. As le petit caporal suggested, if you can hold out a bit longer, than do. Don't forget that any change to your body such as weight lose, takes time to get used to. I would also suggest that loosing weight by cutting down on your food, not just the calories, intake would be beneficial. You will get your first pull up test as soon as you get to the gate. Then a couple of days, on meager rations (or so it seems), you will get the real one. Followed or precedented by the Luc.
I understand, but simply put: i’ve been jobless since few months and the money i saved went all away for rent, bills and food. I will end up homeless if i stay longer, so thats why i’m going this soon. Eating less, running more and improving my pushups is all i can do right now.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
3 more months of hard ship. ..at least ? If you go now and fail at the entry, you'll be futher up the sheet creek
Who the fuk is Bill ? Kill Bill

Failatron

Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Well, here it goes. On my way to the HQ. Hope to not to see you guys for a while. Thanks for all the tips given out.