a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello All

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
Hello everyone,

I’m an American looking to join the French Foreign Legion within the next year. I have a complicated past that is beginning to make life for me in my homeland unbearable. I am looking to start a new life in a new country where I don’t know anyone. I have always wanted to be a soldier. I was enlisted in the Army, however, I was told by my significant other at the time that I would be single if I left for basic. I did the stupid thing and stayed. I didn’t go to basic but I ended up being labeled a deserter anyway. It makes me sick to have that title. Incomprehensibly sick. As such, I see the Legion as a final chance at personal redemption. My timeline is as far out as it is because I want to make sure I’m as squared away as possible before I go. My past has me worried. No criminal record or anything but complicating factors as I said. I want to do everything I can do (I understand that may not be much) to make sure I get the honor of being selected. I look forward to spending time perusing this forum and hearing for those of you current in service to the Legion.

Thank you for the opportunity to join the forum.

Respectfully,
Fresh-Meat

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
Fresh -Meat,

Welcome to the forum. Take note from the Greens.
Like so many the Foreign Legion offers a redemption for many.
Complete your contract and you will become a member of an exclusive club similar to mine.
Je te souhaite bienvenu et bonne chance.

USMCRET

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
Hello everyone,

I’m an American looking to join the French Foreign Legion within the next year. I have a complicated past that is beginning to make life for me in my homeland unbearable. I am looking to start a new life in a new country where I don’t know anyone. I have always wanted to be a soldier. I was enlisted in the Army, however, I was told by my significant other at the time that I would be single if I left for basic. I did the stupid thing and stayed. I didn’t go to basic but I ended up being labeled a deserter anyway. It makes me sick to have that title. Incomprehensibly sick. As such, I see the Legion as a final chance at personal redemption. My timeline is as far out as it is because I want to make sure I’m as squared away as possible before I go. My past has me worried. No criminal record or anything but complicating factors as I said. I want to do everything I can do (I understand that may not be much) to make sure I get the honor of being selected. I look forward to spending time perusing this forum and hearing for those of you current in service to the Legion.

Thank you for the opportunity to join the forum.

Respectfully,
Fresh-Meat
You are not a deserter, don't know who told you this but it is not true. I served a tour as a Marine Corps Recruiter. When you enlist, you are sworn in; however, you have no obligation to actually ship to boot camp. On shipping day you are actually sworn in again, a second time, and then when you arrive at boot camp you have to have a class on the UCMJ. Once you have that class now you are in. If you decide to go UA, Unauthorized Absence, the US Army's term is AWOL, no one goes looking for you. If you are UA for longer than 30-days or more you will be entered into a national database, still no one goes looking for you, but! if you get popped in a traffic stop and they run your name you will be arrested and returned to the Army to face trail. If they pop you, you do not just go back and turn yourself in you will be in pre-trial confinement in the Brig. You will receive your sentence, not usually a long sentence, and after your time you will be discharged with a DD-214 that will haunt you for life, every application you fill out always asks about military service and if you lie and say you never served and are found out you will be fired for lying.

Most viewed threads of the week