a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello and a serious question for "Anciens"

damjamman

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I've been scouring the forum for quite a while now and have decided that I'm going to give it a go and try to join the FFL at the end of April, probably right around Camerone. I have a question for the people who'd know...

If you could give one piece of advice to someone looking to join, i.e. how to prepare mentally, physically, or anything else that would be important to know, what would that one piece of advice be?

I really respect guys like Stoeng and the other "Anciens" and people who at least tried to do it instead of those that are arm-chair enlisting. Your advice would mean a lot to me. I'd appreciate serious answers because I believe that joining the FFL is no joke. Thanks...

libertypo

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Italy
My friend, many of us have served our respective countries honorably for many years before even thinking to join the Legion. Guys like Chas could give you a load of good advices.....

RadioTex

Crusty Caporal
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Well, since you have scoured the forum, all of your questions should have been answered by now. As a veteran of the US Army and La Legion, I would advise you to just do it. Don't waste any more time on the internet. Decide what you want to do, then go for it. As you have seen, there are many wannabes more than willing to give their opinions. Those opinions are generally worthless. It should not matter to you what others may think or what they may advise . La Legion has been around long before the internet, and most of us Anciens simply made up our minds, not knowing all of the minutia which the new breed of wannabes seem to require, then jumped on the great silver bird, and showed up at the gates. Just do it--Take ACTION--Why wait? You will either be accepted or you won't.

libertypo

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Italy
Well, since you have scoured the forum, all of your questions should have been answered by now. As a veteran of the US Army and La Legion, I would advise you to just do it. Don't waste any more time on the internet. Decide what you want to do, then go for it. As you have seen, there are many wannabes more than willing to give their opinions. Those opinions are generally worthless. It should not matter to you what others may think or what they may advise . La Legion has been around long before the internet, and most of us Anciens simply made up our minds, not knowing all of the minutia which the new breed of wannabes seem to require, then jumped on the great silver bird, and showed up at the gates. Just do it--Take ACTION--Why wait? You will either be accepted or you won't.

This is by far the best advice you can get.

Eagle eye

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Macao
...If you could give one piece of advice to someone looking to join, i.e. how to prepare mentally, physically, or anything else that would be important to know, what would that one piece of advice be?...
...Don't dream too much...just join with a working knowledge of French to improve your chances of initial selection...then combine it with low to no expectations and you might be 'pleasantly surprise' as the FFL unfolds before your eyes...:):)

corvee de chotte

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Scotland
Obviously give your girlfriend/wife one before you depart as it may be some time before you ever see a bearded clam again.

repman86

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Scotland
Go and do a few local coppers afore ye go, get use to Life en toulle. Stop watchin tv till you **** off, iron all your clothes with lots of straight lines and parralel to perfection. Learn to eat shit you dont like, tell your family from now till you go to just shout/swear and give you the occasional slap for anything. Sleep in your garden or if you dont have a garden sleep in the street. Learn french.

tony

Reaction score
Home Country
Ireland
Go and do a few local coppers afore ye go, get use to Life en toulle. Stop watchin tv till you **** off, iron all your clothes with lots of straight lines and parralel to perfection. Learn to eat shit you dont like, tell your family from now till you go to just shout/swear and give you the occasional slap for anything. Sleep in your garden or if you dont have a garden sleep in the street. Learn french.

lol. that was the best thing i heard all day.

Kronenberg

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom

I know this is a very old thread - but FCUK it made me laugh Repman. "tell your family from now till you go to just shout/swear and give you the occasional slap for anything"

This is SOLID ADVICE for wanabees - Thanks for the grin :)