a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello everyone... Introducing myself and had two small queries

Sam1989

Reaction score
Home Country
India
Introducing myself - I'm a 23 year old guy from India. I plan to join either before or after Christmas. Training more for stamina and endurance these days (long walks and runs).

I've also been reading up a lot about the Legion. The posts here are have been very informative, hence a thanks to all the posters here.

Had two queries and would like to hear from those who have attempted to join and present as well as ex-legionnaires:

(a) When I reach Aubagne/Paris, should I just provide them with my passport, driving license, birth certificate OR do I also tell them about my education (law school education) and other details. I would prefer giving them minimum information - I just want to do what has been suggested previously on this forum - Save enough money to get to Aubagne, show up at the gates, keep my head low, show my willingness to work, keep working hard and try to get selected;

(b) Would it be better if I go to Aubagne in January-February rather than Christmas time - Would it help with more vacancies and/or better chances to select a regiment of my choice (I understand it would also depend on my performance but still...).

Any advice which you think may help in selection?

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
(a) Just answer the questions you'll be asked. No need to start telling your life story if they don't request it.
(b) Joining time has little impact on your chance of getting selected. It'll only affect the conditions you'll have during basic training (winter = chilly and damp, summer = hot and dry).

Hitsuji

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Slovenia
Well... If you join in February when its cold it will get warmer fast and you will finish just before it gets too hot :D

Sparrow

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
(a) Just answer the questions you'll be asked. No need to start telling your life story if they don't request it.
(b) Joining time has little impact on your chance of getting selected. It'll only affect the conditions you'll have during basic training (winter = chilly and damp, summer = hot and dry).
One of the ‘Gestapo’ interviews I had, he basically asked me to tell him my life story. I guess it could be different for everyone though.

Don't take all your documents, take things that might be relevant like your passport, driving license, diving qualification, police clearance certificate etc. (these are the things I took) and I don't even know if it was all necessary.

Personally I think people might have a slightly better chance if they decide to apply during winter than in summer. Merely because a lot of people want to spend a last Christmas with friends or family. And a lot of people seem to wait for the Summer to avoid doing basic during the Winter. I think the numbers is a bit less during Winter than in Summer, but I may be mistaken.

Juicyy

Reaction score
Home Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Since you are a talking about this... and since I will be there if all goes well in Nov-Dec, guys whent do you think the training will be harder, winter or summer ? Not that it matters, but just asking your opinion :)

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Why pick Winter or Summer? Pick the Autumn or Spring.

Juicyy

Reaction score
Home Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Why pick Winter or Summer? Pick the Autumn or Spring.
I gladly would go right now but I still have to build some more stamina for running... So I'm doing the 3 month program I read here on the forum, so it will be Nov-Dec... Maybe it's better to be there at more extreme condition... it will tough you up.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Well if you join in February when its cold it will get warmer fast and you will finish just before it gets too hot :D
Good advice from Hitsuji. You will, like the others, have a big change in lifestyle, food, sleeping habits, weather etc. You can slowly get used to it. By the time you've finished instruction, beginning summer, you might find yourself a month later in Africa. However, for anyone else, if you're ready, GO GO GO

Sam1989

Reaction score
Home Country
India
I must say very helpful site... All points noted and thanks for each of the replies. Any other suggestions are welcome. I will definitely inform in case I get selected or even otherwise. God!!! Hope that I get selected for a life of honour and fidelity in this great family - the FFL family.

For the next few months, I'll continue doing the same thing that I've have been doing for past few months - ‘Train hard and save money’ for reaching Aubagne, keeping my head low and working doubly hard.

Thanks a lot :)

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
One of the Gestapo interviews I had, he basically asked me to tell him my life story. I guess it could be different for everyone though.(...)
That was my point exactly : “don't go telling your life story... unless required to do soâ€￾

Sam1989

Reaction score
Home Country
India
I have a feeling of pride that I traveled to Aubagne, met a variety of people and got rejected for reasons not completely under my control - Well, also feels sorry to inform the forum guests and members, that I have received 'Inapt Definitive' (medical reasons - read 'maybe' glasses - Unbelievable, but they do not tell the exact reasons on your face these days).

The tests are eliminatory (in the previous week, out of 30, apparently only 4 had cleared all the three tests - similar selection ratio for my batch). The sequence of the tests was: Medical (medical form + piss test + eye test + cardiogram + blood pressure check + color blindness test + physical examination for scars, broken bones, flexibility and balls) => Sports (only if you cleared medical) => Intelligence (only if you clear both Medical and Intelligence).

They still have the 'TB shots' that got a few people in trouble right before me (1 Italian, 1 Mongol, 1 Romanian and 2 Africans), but these shots are given much later, not in the initial medical test.

Tips (for wannabes attempting in near future) - (a) Don't bother to waste your and their time if you cannot do 4 or 5 pull-ups OR else you are sent back home immediately - 3 months 'temporary inapt' (the height of the pull-up bar can be judged from the photos given in the official recruitment site - believe me, at least 3 guys during my 4 days at Aubagne could not do the initial 5 pull-ups);
(b) Going to Aubagne will save you a lot of time - I cautiously went on Friday afternoon, but the guys who came on Sunday evening or even Monday early morning, got a 'GO' at the medical test on Monday itself (like me) - So Aubagne centre does your basic paper-work on weekend as well.

Hope the above information helps wannabes thinking about knocking on legion doors in near future.

For me, NOT SURE WHAT TO DO NEXT? (Though gotta take my cap off for the fellows who got Inapt Definitive along with me and yet helped me get back to senses).

A very sad and confused - 'Sam1989'

SLehman

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Sam:

Best of luck in wherever life takes you, thank you for passing on your experience as well.

Cheers and all the best.
Steve

ds2o

Reaction score
Home Country
Nicaragua
Best of luck in your future endeavors Sam. You can at least be in peace that you tried and were rejected instead of wondering for the rest of your life if you should have joined the Legion.

Just wondering. You suspect that it was your glasses that got you rejected. May I ask why? How severe is your vision?

ben vosloo

Donator
Reaction score
Home Country
Zimbabwe
First of all, good on you for going Sam. Now that this door is closed you will be able to see many more exciting opportunities present themselves. Best of luck with whatever you do in the future, and thank you for sharing your experience.
i have a couple of questions, i apologies if they have been answered before.
1, the broken bone test. what exactly is the situation with this? is it to test if a previously broken bone is properly healed? or do they tend to reject you if you have ever broken a bone? [edit] found the thread i was looking for.
2, what is this about balls?

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
First of all, good on you for going Sam. Now that this door is closed you will be able to see many more exciting opportunities present themselves. Best of luck with whatever you do in the future, and thank you for sharing your experience.
i have a couple of questions, i apologies if they have been answered before.
1, the broken bone test. what exactly is the situation with this? is it to test if a previously broken bone is properly healed? or do they tend to reject you if you have ever broken a bone? [edit] found the thread i was looking for.
2, what is this about balls?
I'd like to emphasize Ben's thanks, it is very kind of you to share your experiences. I wish you all the best in your life, you took a knock down but it doesn't mean you're out. Back on your feet mate and go for gold.
Ben, the broken bones thing, is basically if you had, for example, a broken arm as a kid. You point out where, the doctor makes you do a few movements, and if you are on the "list" has it x-rayed. This may sound absurd to certain people from 1st world countries "of course it was set right". Not always the case for other countries.
The ball test. The doctor puts on a plastic throw away glove, grabs your nuts and tells you to cough. If puss comes out so are you. This has been said before (no problem) but get a full medical and say that it's because you are thinking of joining your countries military. Go and see your dentist.

DCLXVI

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
And what of Glasses, Can you specify. Did you think thagt had something to do with why your were eliminated?.

cupcake

Reaction score
Home Country
England
I have a feeling of pride that I traveled to Aubagne, met a variety of people and got rejected for reasons not completely under my control - Well, also feels sorry to inform the forum guests and members, that I have received 'Inapt Definitive' (medical reasons - read 'maybe' glasses - Unbelievable, but they do not tell the exact reasons on your face these days).

The tests are eliminatory (in the previous week, out of 30, apparently only 4 had cleared all the three tests - similar selection ratio for my batch). The sequence of the tests was: Medical (medical form + piss test + eye test + cardiogram + blood pressure check + color blindness test + physical examination for scars, broken bones, flexibility and balls) => Sports (only if you cleared medical) => Intelligence (only if you clear both Medical and Intelligence).

They still have the 'TB shots' that got a few people in trouble right before me (1 Italian, 1 Mongol, 1 Romanian and 2 Africans), but these shots are given much later, not in the initial medical test.

Tips (for wannabes attempting in near future) - (a) Don't bother to waste your and their time if you cannot do 4 or 5 pull-ups OR else you are sent back home immediately - 3 months 'temporary inapt' (the height of the pull-up bar can be judged from the photos given in the official recruitment site - believe me, at least 3 guys during my 4 days at Aubagne could not do the initial 5 pull-ups);
(b) Going to Aubagne will save you a lot of time - I cautiously went on Friday afternoon, but the guys who came on Sunday evening or even Monday early morning, got a 'GO' at the medical test on Monday itself (like me) - So Aubagne centre does your basic paper-work on weekend as well.

Hope the above information helps wannabes thinking about knocking on legion doors in near future.

For me, NOT SURE WHAT TO DO NEXT? (Though gotta take my cap off for the fellows who got Inapt Definitive along with me and yet helped me get back to senses).

A very sad and confused - 'Sam1989'

Why did you fail?

cupcake

Reaction score
Home Country
England
I have received 'Inapt Definitive' (medical reasons - read 'maybe' glasses - Unbelievable, but they do not tell the exact reasons on your face these days).
?
so... why did you fail? Just kidding ;) that sucks though how bad is your eye sight?