Hello everyone

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
I would like to thank for kind suggestion. I have my first 5k race May 5 and I have a 10K race June 9. I am running with a group and my lower back pain is finally gone. My belly is wearing off and getting flat and my lifting is going well. I did 4 miles today and look to get up to 6 miles with the group on Saturday. I start speed sprinting on tues/thursdays the week after my 5k. I hope to be sub 21 minutes but we will see. At least sub 25 and I will be happy. It took be over an hour and a half of walking/jogging the first week of March to cover 5k so I will be happy either way.

I run everyday now. I will achieve my dream.

Thank you.
Well that is what the forum is here for, or at least one of the reasons. Glad to see that you are enjoying yourself, that is half the battle.

Good luck on your 5 Km race Anthony.
Thank you sir. I finished in 28:26 and I’m a bit disappointed in myself for the time but the course was more hilly than I expected. I didn’t consider that. I’m going to work much harder next week. 10k in four weeks. I’m still only at level 7 of the beep test. I just want to will myself to improve faste. Thanks again for your kind wishes

Good effort that man. BTW no-one calls me sir. Now that you have a first timing, you know what to work on. Did you run all the way? voila la question !
I did. I never stopped which I am proud of. I know I can do better. Thanks for the support. I’m going to run a 5k next Saturday with my friends and I’m trying to get sub 25 Minutes.

This quest is making me happy for the first time in a really long time. I can’t wait to walk through those gates and leave everything behind. I’ll do my best and keep my mouth shut. But the journey itself has been very rewarding for me already.

Good stuff mate!!! Running for me is the hardest because because you can give up anytime although you have to push yourself. Setting targets or making a certain playlist for a certain amount of time helps. You’ve seet yourself some goals there so hopefully you smash them!! Well in bud

quick update: I'm up to running 5/6 days a week-sometimes twice a day. I'm down to 220 pounds from 260. I want to be around 175 when I leave for the legion in the fall. I have a tree I do pull ups on rain or shine on my run and I have installed a pull-up bar in my buddies basement. I had some people recommend some shakes/supplements but I can't afford them and I don't like I need them so I just eat can food run, train, practice French and work.

I try not to log on to this site very much because I see all the pessimism about Americans in general and age in specific and I don't want anything to bring me down. Yes I have a college degree but I have nothing in this world. I can't even afford to go to the Doctors.....

I hope you all are doing well in your life, take care everyone.

quick update: I'm up to running 5/6 days a week-sometimes twice a day. I'm down to 220 pounds from 260. I want to be around 175 when I leave for the legion in the fall. I have a tree I do pull ups on rain or shine on my run and I have installed a pull-up bar in my buddies basement. I had some people recommend some shakes/supplements but I can't afford them and I don't like I need them so I just eat can food run, train, practice French and work.

I try not to log on to this site very much because I see all the pessimism about Americans in general and age in specific and I don't want anything to bring me down. Yes I have a college degree but I have nothing in this world. I can't even afford to go to the Doctors.....

I hope you all are doing well in your life, take care everyone.
What is your height by the way? You should try and get your BMI 25, 26 at max? I'm 6ft on the dot and 210, was 264 before I started training again, ate the same as I did before my injury and wasn't doing any exercise. However back on the wagon now and going full tilt. Always good when us fatties nut up and shut up and get into shape.

My height is 6ft. I used to be 175 when I ran track in high school. I will be 175 when I leave for the legion. I hated being fat and while I am not out of the woods 40 pounds since february leaves me very satisfied. The last 45 will be A LOT harder. I eat only roughly 1,400 calories in food a day (mostly can food and soup with fresh veggies and fruit).

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
I try not to log on to this site very much because I see all the pessimism about Americans in general and age in specific and I don't want anything to bring me down.
Nobody here Is pessimistic about Americans. Maybe guys from 1er RE and gestapo are, but there is a reason behind that suspicion. So if you get your chance ... make statistics for your fellow Americans little bit better. Serve full your 5 years!

Last edited by a moderator:

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Nobody here Is pessimistic about Americans. Maybe guys from 1er RE and gestapo are, but there is a reason behind that suspicion. So if you get your chance ... make statistics for your fellow Americans little bit better. Serve full your 5 years!
Well, who would have thought it a very encouraging post from Dusa, :love:
Only joking, but he is absolutely correct, when the 'gestapo' see yet another American knocking on the door, they must say to themselves, I wonder how long he will last?
It is worth noting that when you join, you go through Aubagne, when you leave, you go through Aubagne.

Anthony you are doing really well with the fitness and losing weight. Keep it up and make sure that you are ready when you go. When I say ready, I mean physically and mentally. Mentally because you've heard all these wild tales about Castel and the farm:eek: so that while you are in Aubagne you will be saying to yourself, and it gets worse?

And it does, but I can guarantee you that once in your regiment you'll be like a duck in water.

Well, who would have thought it a very encouraging post from Dusa, :love:
Only joking, but he is absolutely correct, when the 'gestapo' see yet another American knocking on the door, they must say to themselves, I wonder how long he will last?
It is worth noting that when you join, you go through Aubagne, when you leave, you go through Aubagne.

Anthony you are doing really well with the fitness and losing weight. Keep it up and make sure that you are ready when you go. When I say ready, I mean physically and mentally. Mentally because you've heard all these wild tales about Castel and the farm:eek: so that while you are in Aubagne you will be saying to yourself, and it gets worse?

And it does, but I can guarantee you that once in your regiment you'll be like a duck in water.
Thank you very much.

Honestly, I am not worried about my side of it, I made my decision and I know I will be absolutely fine. I have no one to miss in all honesty and I really have no career or anything to come back to. I sold everything except for my car, which I will sell when I leave. Paid off almost all of my student loans and the car should finish them. What the Legion throws at me isn't going to bother me. It will be refreshing not to worry about anything-I just do what I am told on a daily basis. Nothing to think about there

When I read this site I just get worried that I'll travel half way around the world and say Je suis americain and then be immediately shown the door without being able to show my worth!

So that's what I mean when I don't check the site. I think I know as much about selection as necessary, reading all these negative stories isn't helping. I'm going full speed ahead nothing is stopping me now. Half way there.

I belive the same. ..no looking back and burn all bridges. No going back and fuque them all i leave behind
Not the same for evry buddy
Many enjoy their leave to go home to their big house and garden. Their loving caring, moma and papa and the rest. ..
Travel light, i say (emotional burdens inclu)

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
When I read this site I just get worried that I'll travel half way around the world and say Je suis americain and then be immediately shown the door without being able to show my worth!
Obviously you didn't read enough. Yes there is those who write some stupid things about being American is such huge handicap but most of them doing that as excuse and comfort for their failure.

Yes they are rejected just for being American, please :). I know about 10- 20 Amers who are accepted for my time on forum.
You will never hear that someone came here and say that he was asked for civil after just couple days. and believe me that is pretty common way that guys go home. Then some of them come here and cry that they are rejected because of nationality. :)

As American they will checking your motivation more intensely than some other guys but nothing more than that. You still have same chances as everyone.

But I have to say that I already don't like your attitude. You already looking for reasons to be rejected and should be opposite.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
I belive the same. ..no looking back and burn all bridges. No going back and fuque them all i leave behind
Not the same for evry buddy
Many enjoy their leave to go home to their big house and garden. Their loving caring, moma and papa and the rest. ..
Travel light, i say (emotional burdens inclu)
One of my all time favorite war films
Burning bridges:

Obviously you didn't read enough. Yes there is those who write some stupid things about being American is such huge handicap but most of them doing that as excuse and comfort for their failure.

Yes they are rejected just for being American, please :). I know about 10- 20 Amers who are accepted for my time on forum.
You will never hear that someone came here and say that he was asked for civil after just couple days. and believe me that is pretty common way that guys go home. Then some of them come here and cry that they are rejected because of nationality. :)

As American they will checking your motivation more intensely than some other guys but nothing more than that. You still have same chances as everyone.

But I have to say that I already don't like your attitude. You already looking for reasons to be rejected and should be opposite.
I'm not looking for anything, just trying to keep my head down, work hard, and go. It is nerve wracking basing your entire future on something that may be over in the first ten minutes! I'll never quit for sure.