a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello everyone

Taz

Reaction score
Home Country
South Korea
Hi I'm Taz from South Korea currently living in Australia on a working holiday visa which allows me work and travel for up to 2 years

I came to Australia when i was 18 because i didn't want to live in Korea so i wanted to save money for uni and get permanent resident visa but the reality wasn't that easy. to get the visa you have to go to university in Aus but in Australia everything is so expensive. tuition fee is at least 30k AUD per year which is about 18500 Euro also after graduation you have to work for certain amount time and these are just minimum requirements nothing is guaranteed so i just gave up this plan and spent my earnings on traveling

One day one of my french friend was talking about the foreign legion after that I googled some information about the legion it seemed really interesting because as all backpacker do i really like to interact people all around the world and especially french citizenship but I never thought about joining until 2 months ago

My visa in Aus is almost coming to the end so I got nervous because as I said I didn't want to go home and when i go back i will get to do minimum wage jobs so i talked about it with my friend and he reminded me the legion, after that i seriously thought about joining for few weeks

Eventually i decided to join the legion and started to learn french, and work out. although it is really hard to do them while working construction for long hours but I'm still trying when i have free time and now I'm thinking to go Thailand to work out and study french cheaper with a tutor for 3 months or more and then fly to France

This is my story and plan also many thanks to the forum for all the information and motivation

jonny

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Norway
Yobosayo! Korea is not bad, I liked living there myself, and I love the food, bulgogi, kimchi, etc, and the women are the most beautiful anywhere on earth. So why give up all that for sharing a tent with a snoring, farting Russian or Bulgarian, eating rubish out of a gamelle?

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Hi Taz and welcome to the forum. You come across as a dreamer. You turn up in Australia only to find it is too expensive. You now want to go to Thailand to workout (OK no problem) and to study French !
Wise up mate, this (Thailand) is a developing county, You will be lucky to find anyone who can teach you English, and forget about anyone to teach you Thai, and FRENCH :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
And after all that, why not give the legion a go?

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Hi Taz. You don't have to speak French in order to join. it helps but there is guys joining without speaking word of French

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Hi Taz and welcome to the forum. You come across as a dreamer. You turn up in Australia only to find it is too expensive. You now want to go to Thailand to workout (OK no problem) and to study French !
Wise up mate, this (Thailand) is a developing county, You will be lucky to find anyone who can teach you English, and forget about anyone to teach you Thai, and FRENCH :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Maybe you Joe can try you self as French teacher. :)

Taz

Reaction score
Home Country
South Korea

I knew how much it would cost to study in Australia and i met many people they spend more than 100k aud to go university just to get the resident visa and end up not getting it also i didn't even go university in Korea because i knew i'm not very good at school

and I already have been to Thailand so i know the cost of living in BKK and there is Alliance Française so i can definitely find a french tutor and of course it's much cheaper than here is aus and by saying fly to France i meant join the legion

Taz

Reaction score
Home Country
South Korea
Hi Taz. You don't have to speak French in order to join. it helps but there is guys joining without speaking word of French
yeah i know but when I came to Australia first time i didn't speak any English so i know it will be harder if i don't speak the language

Taz

Reaction score
Home Country
South Korea
Yobosayo! Korea is not bad, I liked living there myself, and I love the food, bulgogi, kimchi, etc, and the women are the most beautiful anywhere on earth. So why give up all that for sharing a tent with a snoring, farting Russian or Bulgarian, eating rubish out of a gamelle?
I don't think Korean women are the pretties in the world and I'm already eating bad food almost everyday ,sleeping with snoring, farting German, French haha

Last edited:

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
yeah i know but when I came to Australia first time i didn't speak any English so i know it will be harder if i don't speak the language
It's not like that, you not just going in foreign country for it would be really difficult if you don't speak language (as it was in Australia). You going to foreigners legion where they expect you to not speak language.
Don't waste money on classes. Learn much as you can online that would be enough. Also I consider classes to be very poor way to pick up some language. Learned English in school for 8 years and I probably didn't picked more than 3 words from that.
PS not to offend anyone, but there is legionnaires who finish full 5y contract and cannot be said that they speak French. ;). So relax on that learning French thing

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
I don't think Korean women are the pretties in the world and I'm already eating shit food almost everyday ,sleeping with snoring, farting German, French haha
At least you will know how to fart in French. :)
Learn French from him.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
I would really like to come across a Thai who is going to teach ANYONE French.
They have NO verb structure and no definitive articles. I sing - and that is it. Tomorrow I sing. Last week I sing. I not sing: Tomorrow, I not sing. Last week, I not sing.

The guy in the dark suit is Thai.

Taz

Reaction score
Home Country
South Korea
I would really like to come across a Thai who is going to teach ANYONE French.
They have NO verb structure and no definitive articles. I sing - and that is it. Tomorrow I sing. Last week I sing. I not sing: Tomorrow, I not sing. Last week, I not sing.

The guy in the dark suit is Thai.
Instructors in Alliance Française are all native french speakers according to their website
there are lots of private tutors from France in Bangkok as well

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Welcome to the forum, Taz.

I disagree with you, I am rather fond of the Korean women, but Japanese and vietnamese have a special place in vacant chest cavity.

You're young, have a little money, and you're healthy ( I assume) and hopefully competant. Go join the Legion

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Key things: basic conversation, directional, yes and no, basic places and locations, basic commands (up, down, listen to me, go, run, shut up, ect)