Hello from Bulgaria.

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Bulgaria
Hello, my name is Naiden, I'm 19 years old from Bulgaria. I've always wanted to join the military, but sadly my country's military is in a terrible state. I went to college for few months but I dropped out because, the education system is not in a good state either, and I studying is kind of not the thing for me, I always wanted to be doing something, can't sit in one place and I find ordinary jobs from 9 to 5 quite boring. Now I'm going to find a job in my town for few months to afford a plane ticket to France. I plan on joining at the end of the summer or at the end of the winter, depends on how prepared I am.

Never smoked, drinking little alcohol every now and then. I've done a lot of research about the Legion, my teeth are in good condition, I have one little cavity that I'm about to fix. I'm in good medical condition, sadly I'm shortsighted. I have glasses that I only wear while I'm driving. I've read that glasses won't disqualify me but I want to hear from legionnaire on this forum who wear glasses, are there any? Also I can't swim, I'm not flying to France before I learn to swim, I had childhood fear of water and I have overcome it, but I didn't learn how to swim.

Other than that I've always been physically strong, I can do 16 pull ups on first try (trying really hard to make them at least 18-19, maybe 20), I started running almost every day last summer, got really addicted. I have no problem with long distance runs. Now I'm doing tempo runs for the 3200m in 12 minutes cooper test and I'll try the Luc leger test on Saturday. I'll keep you updated.

I have two questions:
1) I currently weight around 66-67 kilos, is this bad? Maybe I should try and gain few more kilos.
2) Are there any bulgarians currently serving in the Legion on this forum, I'd like to talk have a chat with them if possible.

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
1) I currently weight around 66-67 kilos, is this bad? Maybe I should try and gain few more kilos.
don´t think you showed your height... calculate yourself. was a thread on here about BMI, Body mass index and what the Legion wants. Having said that some videos i have seen show in my opinion slightly heavy guys getting through selection (not fat but too heavy) 66-67 kilos is lightweight. so maybe you can chin good.

OP
N
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Bulgaria
Hello sexpert,
I'm 175 and the calculator shows my BMI is 21.9

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
Hello sexpert,
I'm 175 and the calculator shows my BMI is 21.9
nothing to worry about in my opinion. Some people look thin but are heavy. you are in a good healthy area. you could put on more weight but no need. If you have the strength to chin that many reps you are in good condition.

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
Naiden,
Welcome to the forum.
Don't worry about your weight. Simply get fit for your body size. Others will advise you how.
As long as you are fit the rest is all a mindset to achieve your goal.

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
actually a BMI from up to 30 is very liberal from the Legion. They of course know they will lose some beef. I knew a German guy who was joining the German police & was refused because of BMI. He had a solid 6 pack ..i trained sometimes with him. the Legion is good with up to 30 but as i said i think if you pass other tests they know from experience who can make it. even "heavy" guys.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
North Korea
Hi, Naiden and welcome
Eye sight will be a problème, am no doctor, mind you
What worries me is...
1. You abandon ed your studies
2. You said yourself...,' you can not tolerate boredom'...(itchy feet syndrome)
3. For the Gestapo, they will think that you are too young (wich is true) and lacking maturité, wich is true..and will probally désert when,' things do not go your way'
Keep up the running and stay clear from body builders, its such a Gay thing to do

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
beware of walter mitty guys..

OP
N
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Bulgaria
Hi Le petit caporal,
I abandoned my studies because it's not the thing for me, I've always wanted to join the military, but I got sent to university I don't like, now that I'm old enough I know what I want to do with my life and I don't need anyone's approval. And about my eyesight, it's a really low dioptre, it's not that poor, but I guess it still would be a problem, so I have to do my best on the physical tests.

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
Naiden,

Learning to swim.

Treat the water as your friend but with respect. In the FFL they will teach you to swim. However it is better to be able to swim when you join. Short sight should not diminish your chances. Some already wear glasses.

Are you sure you are a genuine aspirant for the Foreign Legion ? Or is it passing fad or dream wish ?

OP
N
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Bulgaria
Hi Chas,
yes, decision has been made, I want to join the Legion, it's only a matter of time I take a plane to France.

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
Hi Chas,
yes, decision has been made, I want to join the Legion, it's only a matter of time I take a plane to France.
Glad to here it that you are determined. I served with the 'Water Babies'. But we did have swimming instruction. Minimum 50 metres in full kit + weapon and tread water for 3 minutes.