Hello from SW France

Hi there, and thanks for the add.

I'm a 29 yo guy from France. I'm a "wannabe" like you call the guys, who wants to join.
I'm not going to give to much details about me, Doctors will see, recruiters will see. Currently training my lungs to run and my stomach/liver to a lot of Kro's. That's all!

This forum is great source of information, so thanks for keeping it alive!

Bye and see you out there!

Good luck. Gotta ask. Why not join regular French Regiments that could give you a shot at SF in top teams?
Not willing to reply in his place, but for a French citizen, except of course legal issues that may prevent him from joining the ‘regular’ army, joining the Legion has the advantage of being given (if selected) a 5 year contract upfront, while the the ‘regular’, the initial contract is generally shorter and renewal is subject to ‘skimming’.

Not willing to reply in his place, but for a French citizen, except of course legal issues that may prevent him from joining the ‘regular’ army, joining the Legion has the advantage of being given (if selected) a 5 year contract upfront, while the the ‘regular’, the initial contract is generally shorter and renewal is subject to ‘skimming’.
Good to know, I wasn't sure if the French citizens had the same shot at a "fresh start" if they had some legal issues. So what is "skimming"? I just thought after conscription ended those who really wanted a professional career and a shot for top tier SF would automatically go to the regular forces.

Hi and thanks for the replies. Well, my answer is quite simple. That question has been ask to me some time ago. I do not just want ‘to be in the militaryâ€￾. This would be easy to get in the ‘regular’ Army and take a job. They offer a lots of jobs for my profile, just sign the paper, and go to a CFIM (Centre de Formation Initiale des Militaires du rang, in the French ‘regular’, it's like Castel for the Legion, but done in 12 weeks), give your orientation preference and it's done.

I'm searching for the roughness of the Legion, the selection, the men, coming from all over the world, the training, to be at "the bottom of the food chain" and then evolve! This is unique. It is not just a matter of choice, I think it's a life decision. I worked with an Ancien from the REP, and he told me that joining the Legion was the best choice he made in his life, rather than going to the regular. Legion never leaves a man behind, for life. A thing that regular does not.

I know you will understand my thoughts.

ps: My decision do not affect the thing that I deeply respect my army and know that they do a good job. It's simply not my way.

(...) So what is "skimming"? (...)
In the ‘regular’ Army, the initial contract is kind of used as a probationary period. Renewal is subject to achieving minimum performance level. That's why it's shorter than the Legion 5-year contract. Difference is that in the Legion this ‘skimming’ takes place during selection and basic training.

In the ‘regular’ Army, the initial contract is kind of used as a probationary period. Renewal is subject to achieving minimum performance level. That's why it's shorter than the Legion 5-year contract. Difference is that in the Legion this ‘skimming’ takes place during selection and basic training.
How short is the initial contract in the "regular" French Army?

Good evening,

i forgot to mention that I plan to join in the start of 2017, days after the New Year. I will be in the region of Aubagne around those days and my "training plan", including Stoeng's training, will end near Christmas.
So i will let you now in time!

So, it's been 2 years and some more. I replied with an entire book to your other post (I had a lot to say, I'm passionate about the subject), but i'm curious so I'll ask here; in lieu of joining the Legion, since you have the cats and the dog and the house and whatever, have you considered joining French regular forces? Maybe reserve or Gendarme? Better to do THAT than to do nothing. The legion could come after. Like you said you still have 8 years, and Rapace said a French contract with from 1.5 to 3 years long.

What's your plan?

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
I'm afraid that Anselme will end up like so many I saw in the museum during my last 11 months of service. I always wanted to join but...
I'm not knocking anyone but even though he has 8 years to go, it seems that he and his wife have already made plans for his future which, unfortunately for him, will not include the legion.

I'm afraid that Anselme will end up like so many I saw in the museum during my last 11 months of service. I always wanted to join but...
I'm not knocking anyone but even though he has 8 years to go, it seems that he and his wife have already made plans for his future which, unfortunately for him, will not include the legion.
Probably right. Hell I have 12 and a half years until cut off, and I'm still stressing it. He was likely never destined to go anyway

Most viewed threads of the week