a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello from US

A

ahun1743

Unregistered
Hello to everyone and Merry Christmas (to those who celebrate),

I've been lurking around for a month looking at all the different threads and have gained some great ACTUAL information, not the Google Search BS. I saw that I could potentially be kicked if I don't post anything, so I thought I'd introduce myself.

I'm 21, from the United States, currently residing in Boston, Massachusetts. I attended the United States Military Academy (West Point) for three years. I served as a cadet (junior officer in some countries). I have been to a couple US Army schools (Airborne, Air Assault) but was kicked out for failing ONE class (Nuclear Engineering) but received a full Honorable Dishcharge.

I am in excellent physical condition, speak fluent French (took 4 years and International Baccalaureate), conversational Russian (2 years at the Academy), and majored in Defense and Strategic Studies at West Point. My family is originally from India and they have all moved back so I am living with a friend right now. I have no desire at all to stay in the United States and to tell the truth, I have nowhere to go but the Legion (there's no way I'm living in India).

I have known about the Legion and it's history since I was 8 and since I really need to restart my life, I am going to join the legion. I have been keeping myself in top physical condition for the past few months and I am about to buy a plane ticket to Marseille. The way I see it, if I'm gonna see if they'll accept me, I might as well cut the BS, stop doubting myself, and get my a** on a plane to France.

Thanks for reading and feel free to ask any questions!

Stormbringer

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Through the gates of Hell, as we make our way to H
Home Country
Bulgaria
Welcome mate! You have a good background from what I read in your post, so really "get your a** on a plane to France"! Wish you bonne chance and if the Legions wants you, we all hope you`ll be posting your experience when possible. Merry Christmass! :D

gatorojo ✞

Missed friend...
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Ahun, Merry Xmas to you as well.

I have a question. I'm curious as to why you don't go into the US Army first? I'm also curious as to why you feel so eager to leave the US? Is it because you aren't a citizen?

Don't read any hostility into my questions, I'm genuinely curious. If you prefer, you could answer by PM, or just answer here, no problem.

Stormbringer

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Bulgaria
In addition to what gatorojo asked I would add, why not the British army? It would be possible with Indian descent. I'm also curious, but am not insisting on an answer. It's your life and nobody can give you the right advice. And by no means I mean that the US or the UK armies are better than the Legion, what is more you don't have the ususal obstacle, i.e. the lack of French.

sdelapresilla

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Vietnam
Hello to everyone and Merry Christmas (to those who celebrate),

I've been lurking around for a month looking at all the different threads and have gained some great ACTUAL information, not the Google Search BS. I saw that I could potentially be kicked if I don't post anything, so I thought I'd introduce myself.

I'm 21, from the United States, currently residing in Boston, Massachusetts. I attended the United States Military Academy (West Point) for three years. I served as a cadet (junior officer in some countries). I have been to a couple US Army schools (Airborne, Air Assault) but was kicked out for failing ONE class (Nuclear Engineering) but received a full Honorable Dishcharge.

I am in excellent physical condition, speak fluent French (took 4 years and International Baccalaureate), conversational Russian (2 years at the Academy), and majored in Defense and Strategic Studies at West Point. My family is originally from India and they have all moved back so I am living with a friend right now. I have no desire at all to stay in the United States and to tell the truth, I have nowhere to go but the Legion (there's no way I'm living in India).

I have known about the Legion and it's history since I was 8 and since I really need to restart my life, I am going to join the legion. I have been keeping myself in top physical condition for the past few months and I am about to buy a plane ticket to Marseille. The way I see it, if I'm gonna see if they'll accept me, I might as well cut the BS, stop doubting myself, and get my a** on a plane to France.

Thanks for reading and feel free to ask any questions!

Welcome to the forum, my friend! You seem like you're good to go, just get your bum on the plane and you will be set... I'm very sure. I wish I could learn Russian as well, but I'm concentrating on my French as for now.

Bonne chance et Joyeux Noël.

A

ahun1743

Unregistered
Gatorojo,
Thanks for reading my post! Don't worry, I didn't get any hostility. I was going to go into the US Army as a 2nd Lieutenant, but because i got kicked out for failing one class, they gave me an Honorable Discharge. Theoretically, I could go back and try again as enlisted, but I really don't feel like doing that. I want to leave the United States because it's more than just "oh, i feel like leaving," really I guess it's just that I don't like civilian life, especially American civilian life. I am a citizen but I really have a deep longing to go somewhere else, if you understand what I'm saying.
I hope that answered your question. PM me if you have anything else, thanks!

Stormbringer,
Thanks for reading. I actually didn't know that I'm eligible to join the British Army. I guess it's because of the former colony status as you said. It definitely sounds interesting. Maybe after the Legion? Haha

Edgar

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Australia
Good Luck and it sounds to me that you have a better chance of getting accepted than the majority of those who talk about it. Like a couple of others have indicated I too would be interested in an update when you are ready to share.
X Sgt FFL

Sarajevo1992

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Netherlands
On paper you are almost an ideal candidate, but then again i wonder if THE ideal candidate varies from time to time, depending THE Legion needs at the moment. Bonne chance.

Grupo_Ocho

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
If you were not prior service, were you not obligated to a three year enlistment on AD is the US Army? Generally, after that long of acceptable grades and good conduct, failing one course would not have had that consequence. In fact, you were never really on active duty that equates to retirement benefits. I have quite a few friends that are grads and am curious if something has changed especially as you are an American citizen, apparently enough of one to attend the premier military academy (with obligatory service regardless of pass or fail after your second year. I'm sure before you decided that “you needed to move on from American lifeâ€￾ you understood those commitments, didn't you?

A slot to WP is a hard and long and often political decision always resulting in military service with a very few exceptions. Just curious as it seems some things don't really jib in your comments. If I were not so lazy, and did not want to bother a few friends I could find out on my own... but I am lazy..

Just curious and really no antagonism intended, just clarifying if things have really changed that much over the years.
Thanks Grp8

A

ahun1743

Unregistered
Grupo_Ocho,

You are indeed correct that MOST people who are dropped from West Point do have to either serve for three years or pay back the educational and training money (about $300,000 in my case). However, because I was dropped due to an academic failure, I have no obligation. Cadets who are dropped due to lying, cheating, stealing, rape, murder, etc. (you get the idea) are obligated to serve, not academic failures. Additionally, since the US Army is cutting back on spending big time currently, they also need to lower the amount of soldiers entering. Nearly 150 cadets were relieved this summer, just to give you an idea of how stringent they are getting.

If I had failed any of my previous years, being kicked out would not even be considered, but like I said, times have changed.

For some reason, I am sensing that you harbor either hostility or criticism with my choice. I know a slot to WP is hard and long, you don't need to remind me. What do you mean “jib in my comments?â€￾ Do you think I'm lying? And what do you mean “enough of an American citizen?â€￾ You either are one or you aren't.

Sorry if I came off as being hostile to you, but something didn't ‘jib’ with your reply. Thanks for reading anyways.

Grupo_Ocho

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
No Sir, I only inquired as I have seen many Americans tell one story on their US compatriots and another in a different forum. I was truly interested and yes something did not ‘jib’ but you explained it well. I am related to two O-6 and one 0-7 USMA grad's and could have just sent them an email. Your answer makes sense to me with no other connotations. I wish you the best, no matter where life or the military takes you. Just a natural skeptical inquiry, answered more than enough to his satisfaction.

Best of luck in your decisions to be made
G-8

sdelapresilla

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Vietnam
Very useful information about joining the British Army... Just as almost every Latin American country, you can join the Spanish Army. Funny isn't it? I'm not sure if you can join the Portuguese Army if you're Brazilian.

Cheers.

M

Martin Scott

Unregistered
Question posed at Aubagne will be why did you fail not why???????????

Stormbringer

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Bulgaria
Very useful information about joining the British Army... Just as almost every Latin American country, you can join the Spanish Army. Funny isn't it? I'm not sure if you can join the Portuguese Army if you're Brazilian.
Cheers.
I read that there is an agreement among the Commonwealth countries that every one of their citizens is allowed to serve in the Armed Forces of any member state. It has to do with the Commonwealth, not with British colonial rule, as it includes also the new members Rwanda and Mosambique, that were never part of the empire.

Stevezyla

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Were some of the ones kicked out on the football team?... I mean geeting beat by Navy four straight years and all! LOL Marylander here. Watched Army beat Navy in Lacrosse three years ago. Hell of a whupping. Good luck to you. My son told me, in the Legion, they don't eat much breakfast, just a piece of bread. That, he said, took some getting used to. And they keep it low cal. during training. He also said it got cold up in the mountains. Had to wait a couple of weeks to call home or get on a computor; so if we don't hear from you then your in! Again, bonne chance!

A

ahun1743

Unregistered
Stevezyla,

Yeah there were a few kicked out from the Football team. It seems they always seem to have the most "interesting" reasons for getting kicked out haha. I will always support Army football, but I seriously feel my high school team could beat them. Army lacrosse on the other hand is a different story, they are definitely in a league of their own. If it truly is just a piece of bread during basic, i hope it's at least sourdough.

Thanks for reading!

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Well, at least the breakfast fare has not changed over time. One piece of bread and black coffee, Thursday and Sunday a small pat of butter with it.