a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello Gentlemen!

Reaction score
Home Country
Ireland
Greetings from Ireland, I am here to thank you all for the information you lads have put out, it really helps allot of people myself included.
I am heading to Paris early march, Just a question about the parental slip if you could spare me the time to answer.

Where can I procure this slip? The French embassy in Dublin I presume?
Are there many micks like myself within the ranks? I am going to join the absolute day I have the ability.

Thank you for your time and fidelity gentleman.

Reaction score
Home Country
Ireland
That would be the case here my dear friend, I should have made that clearer.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Hi Williams and a big welcome to the forum. Let me warn you in advance, If Williams is part of your real name, be careful of what you offer up.

SnafuSmite

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
The minimum age limit for joining the Foreign Legion is 17 years and 6 months. That means you have to be 17 years, 6 months and 0 days old at minimum when you are knocking on the Legion’s gate. If you are not 18 years old and older, parental consent or consent of your legal tutor (if you are an orphan for example) is required on a form available in French Gendarmeries in France, or in French Embassies outside France.

Thats the only info I'm aware of, why dont you wait till your 18? Have you investigated the British military or Irish military?

Reaction score
Home Country
Ireland
Thank you for your replies,
I am going to attempt to join when I am 17.6, I will fetch the form from the embassy.

I don't really approve of joining the English military for reasons I will keep to myself, and the legion offers me far more opportunities in terms of career development and fulfillment compared to my native military. I admire characters like Wolfe Tone, who was a french descendant, and we fought in Napoleon's army, the Légion irlandaise.

Thank you for the information.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Now that that is clear (for everyone). I'd try the French Embassy in Dublin of course, however that may take time. I've just seen that Snafu has given the answer. If you are that desperate to get over there by March, you could try writing to the legion themselves.

Be careful now what you offer up. Again as Snafu has said why not try for the Brit's or the Irish? It's a very valid question as it will be one that the recruiters will ask you. Saying it's just for the action at your young age will not go down to well. As for Irish in the legion, You have got an amicale des anciens de la legion etrangere en Irlande
http://www.aalei.org/
Who's president I served with in the REP.
In fact he's in Dublin. Where it says contact us on the site, you can address your question to the president himself, Paul Hoey and say it was me who suggested it.

Reaction score
Home Country
Ireland
I plan to spend my entire working career within the legion, ever since I was a child I have been fascinated with it, it rewards merit instead of just time spent there like some other armies, every rank is earned and actions are judged based off of performance and skill.

As well as the traditions of course, I am just happy to be a part of it all really, being a traditionalist myself.

I understand things in real life will not always meet my expectations and of course I will be handed a mop to clean with before a rife, but I am happy to because that's what thousands of legionnaires did before me.

SnafuSmite

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
I plan to spend my entire working career within the legion, ever since I was a child I have been fascinated with it, it rewards merit instead of just time spent there like some other armies, every rank is earned and actions are judged based off of performance and skill.

As well as the traditions of course, I am just happy to be a part of it all really, being a traditionalist myself.

I understand things in real life will not always meet my expectations and of course I will be handed a mop to clean with before a rife, but I am happy to because that's what thousands of legionnaires did before me.
Worst thing you can do is go in with pre-concieved ideas. There are times when you'll question why on Earth you decided to go to the Legion, but you have to remember why you went in the first place. I would reccomended finishing school and then buggering off, learn some French and go when you're finished your basic schooling.

Surfguy

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Thank you for your replies,
I am going to attempt to join when I am 17.6, I will fetch the form from the embassy.

I don't really approve of joining the English military for reasons I will keep to myself, and the legion offers me far more opportunities in terms of career development and fulfillment compared to my native military. I admire characters like Wolfe Tone, who was a french descendant, and we fought in Napoleon's army, the Légion irlandaise.

Thank you for the information.

There is no English Army , it`s The British Army , if you have a dislike of English be aware there`s a very high chance you`d serve alongside English if you are accepted , in fact it`s possible your interviews in France maybe with an English Legionnaire/NCO.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
There are times when you'll question why on Earth you decided to go to the Legion,
There will come times when you are asking yourself what on earth ... and then you sign on again and you ask yourself the same thing.
if you have a dislike of English be aware there`s a very high chance you`d serve alongside English if you are accepted , in fact it`s possible your interviews in France maybe with an English Legionnaire/NCO.
I'd even say that it was very probable that you will be interviewed by an Englishman. If you have any gripes with them, keep it to yourself. The same goes for those who don't like blacks or blacks who don't like snow flakes. Er sorry, I forgot no-one likes snow flakes -except the Brit army.:oops:.
Believe me you will get used to each other.

Reaction score
Home Country
Ireland
if you have a dislike of English
I have no problem with the common tommy soldier, or any individual for that matter, I would prefer to speak to an englishman because we have similar cultures.

It's mostly out of principle than any major harsh feelings for the brits

Thank you for your time

Reaction score
Home Country
Ireland
I would reccomended finishing school and then buggering off,
Thanks very much for the advice Snafu, but I'm going to take the shot regardless, I would rather take the shot now while I am young and get the years in and done.
I value school very much but it makes more sense for me in my situation to get in earlier rather than later.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
It goes without saying that you have to be fit. And also FRENCH. If you wish to back up the fact that you've always wanted to join the legion, speaking French will be of a great help.
It's not too late to do a crash course in the language.