a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello Interested in Joining

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
You can do quite well in Sweden with English. Almost all of them speak it (especially younger generations) and they are not unwilling to use it (unlike people in some other countries).
It's like here, a lot of young people speak English... School English, Oxford crap 🙄. Not gutter slang like me 😆.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Oh man, I hate school English. I speak movie English :).

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I know the Australians see more combat than any other military in that region. They get out and get all sorts of Mercenary work and Contracts. French Special Forces is the same as well as the Scandinavian ones. In fact the SASR ran our military in the Vietnam Conflict. As well as train MACSOG and LRRP. There were UK advisors and Legionairres but it was the SASR and the Commando groups that did all the leg work. IT was Russian SF and Chinese SF vs SASR and Commandos. Everything else was just fluff if you research history and read between the lines. Afghanistan is another, through sources I am told the Australian SOF and the many of the FFL are actually doing most of the fighting while the americans are just playing cop and babysitter getting blown up in the middle of it.

Are you kidding? You need to do better research on Afghanistan and Iraq, playing Cop, WTF? You have no Clue what we do there. Sure we have invested a ton of time Training the Locals on PTTs and MTTs (Police Training Teams and Military Training Teams). In a MTT or PTT a Squad of Marines are imbedded with the PTT or MTT, e. g., you live, eat, sleep, and train them. Then you have very well established FOBs, Forward Operating Bases, OPs, Observation Posts, and LPs, Listening Posts, those are where all operations are ran out of. Combat Patrols, Ambush Patrols, Contact with Local Sheiks, Artillery, Armor, Air Wings Fixed and Rotary Wing Aircraft, and much much more. If you have watched any Documentaries on the Legion and British Army and Royal Marines, they operate much the same. The French Camp Rocco, it is a FOB.

SnafuSmite

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
Executive outcomes was a South African company from the mid 90s. They hired South Africans and Rhodesians because what they were doing in Sierra Leone was a similar mission to what the South African SF were doing in Angola and masters of counter insurgency warfare, similar environments=well versed experience in said for environments, at that time the US and UK were were in Kosovo, Bosnia and the Brits finishing up in Northern Ireland. Their training was to fight the Soviets and conventional wars, they hadn't fought in Africa since WW2. So who would you hire? A bloke that has spent 10 years in an environment can speak the lingo and knows the local ways? Or a bloke thats been fighting in Desert storm, NI or the Baltics? Its not the quality of the troops its their experience in their specific field.
Biased article and ignorant author.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Mrboxingfan, I can honestly say that you are chasing windmills. Let's be honest you are over 39 and overweight. The Legion is not for you. As for the Canadians, Aussies or Swedes, they don't just take in anyone off the streets. For the first two you may have stood a kind of chance if you were from a Brit commonwealth country, but you're not.
Guy I served with went to the Australian Army after his 22 in the British army. You needed to be Sgt or above to be accepted which he was.

Sohito

Reaction score
Home Country
Poland
You can do it quite well in Sweden with English. Almost all of them speak it (especially younger generations ) and they are not unwilling to use it. (as people in some other countries)

I'm pretty sure situation in Sweden looks much like it is in Denmark. It's totally crazy. Speaking English here is so common, that it's not foreign language anymore... There is absolutely no pressure to learn the language. So learning local language is not that obvious...

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
French, Portuguese, Cubans have good fighting experience in Africa... Saying that no non-Africans have fought in Africa since WWII is not correct.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Can't you all see that the guy is disillusioned or trying to wind us up? 39, fat and a student wanting to join the Legion or willing to wait another 5 years and join another army. Come on guys, it's alright for a laugh, but not to be taken seriously.