Hello To All

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, a bit about myself.

My names Craig, I'm 26 years old. Served in the British Army for 5 years prior to being discharged for being a muppet and failing a drugs test. Basically i took some steroids for a temporary fix (had a injury and used to boost strength and performance to make up for the lost fitness etc when i got better) Biggest mistake of my life.

Served within the British Airborne forces as a vehicle mechanic in 16 air assault brigade based out of Colchester. Completed P company but never completed jumps unfortunately (the waiting list for the herc or sky van was massive and given priority to the parachute regiment etc).

I've been out almost 5 years now, i had every intention of joining the legion when i got discharged, never got around to it due to becoming comfortable with civilian life after joining up at 17. I currently have an application almost complete to rejoin but i don't think its going to be a success. My previous hasn't affected this application as it wouldnt have been accepted in January.

So my last chance at enjoying a military life style with routine, free PT and doing something I already have experience with is joining the legion. My fitness nowhere near my previous standard but my current fitness is pretty much basic British army standard, not my previous airborne level fitness.

For those who will ask, i have not touched steroids since 2013 and never recreational drugs.

I have a few questions if anyone could kindly answer. ( I have tried to use the links and added 123 but it kept saying oops this page is missing. I'll try when im home on my pc)

What are the chances of getting 2REP as a regiment after training if someone is successful? Does it depend on how well you did during training?

If i took previous service certificates with me would that give me a better chance at selection centres?

I read that leave allowance can only be taken in mainland France? So I guess I wouldn't be allowed to go home unless given special permission?

Contact with family - are we able to use mobiles during training at all or only once it's complete fully?

Thanks again

Last edited by a moderator:

SnafuSmite

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
South Africa
Hi Mate and welcome, your previous service will only be a benefit, avoid mentioning drugs or steroids unless asked explicitly. 7 pull ups and lvl 7 on the Luc Leger/bleep test are the prescribed minimums, BMI should be lower than 30 but ideally lower than 26 and higher than 20. Most guys talk about the 2REP but there are also other regiments, your chance of getting into the regiment of your desire is increased but not limited to placement in Castel. But the Legion will have the final say on where you will go.

OP
H
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
Hi Mate and welcome, your previous service will only be a benefit, avoid mentioning drugs or steroids unless asked explicitly. 7 pull ups and lvl 7 on the Luc Leger/bleep test are the prescribed minimums, BMI should be lower than 30 but ideally lower than 26 and higher than 20. Most guys talk about the 2REP but there are also other regiments, your chance of getting into the regiment of your desire is increased but not limited to placement in Castel. But the Legion will have the final say on where you will go.
Understood, not sure what I'd say if i got asked why i left, my service certificate etc doesn't mention anything about it. I doubt id be found out if i lie but wouldnt want to risk it? I can easily bang out 15 or so pull ups atm. Running isnt an issue nor will the swimming.

I only mention 2REP as coming from a previous airborne background I feel it would be a better fit and I wish to get my wings after not being able to jump previously. I'll take it on board and keep my options open of course. Thanks:)

Katalmach

Donator
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
Understood, not sure what I'd say if i got asked why i left, my service certificate etc doesn't mention anything about it. I doubt id be found out if i lie but wouldnt want to risk it? I can easily bang out 15 or so pull ups atm. Running isnt an issue nor will the swimming.

I only mention 2REP as coming from a previous airborne background I feel it would be a better fit and I wish to get my wings after not being able to jump previously. I'll take it on board and keep my options open of course. Thanks:)
Best advice to you, mate, is to tell the truth. The legion gives people second chances. The only way you'd get turned down almost definitely is if you were a habitual drug user. There was a guy on here recently, age 36, who inapte definitife because he had tried several times and failed the PT, but on his 5th attempt, once he passed the PT, he admitted to smoking marijuana often (we don't know for sure why the Gestapo I.D'd him, but it is a strong bet that his age combined with drug use is a strong contributing factor)

Tell them exactly what you told us. Not just "I used steroids" but "I used a performance enhancing drug in a foolish attempt to recooperate faster" tell them that you recognize that as a mistake and immediately ceased it usage and haven't touched it since then.

As for 2eme REP. I'm not a Legionnaire, but in a documentary I watched (which was filmed just last year), at the end of their time at Castel, the new Legionnaires with the best overall scores (best in French, fitness and shooting) were met with a Captain. My very basic grasp of French and a little google translating let me understand that they were talking about Regiments. The Captain asked these guys where they wanted to go. First guy said 1er REC (armor), and 2nd guy said 3eme REI if memory serves.

So in short, kicking ass, being at the top of your game and shooting well will allow you to go to REP. At the end of the day it's up to the needs of the Legion, but being switched on during training will vastly improve your chances

Get duolingo on your phone if you don't know any French. Even consider buying Rosetta Stone (I use both and I've learned a ton of French. They teach in very different ways, so it really exercises your mind). English speakers like us Americans and you Brits/Aussies need to know French to improve our chances of selection

You have a good reason. You're repentant for your mistakes. And you have military experience. All that's missing is French fluency. Nail that, and go. Become a REPman. And come back to Cervens and let us know how it goes. We need more active people on here, it's a good little community of warriors and ex warriors and wannabes

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
Hi Humps, I edited your first name out of your introduction, I hope you don't mind. The thing is we don't know if the "gestapo" look in on the forum or not. Be careful of what you offer up in the way of personal info.
Ah, sorry, I should have started by welcoming you to the forum:oops:
As for any advice that is given concerning what you should and what you should not give to the the "Gestapo", be careful. None of us know for sure what they will accept. One thing that you can be sure of is that there is not just one interviewer for the English speakers.

As you read some of the older posts, you will come across various accounts of interviews. Some have said that owning up to smoking weed (I understand that this is not your case) went down OK with the Gestapo. Others think that that was the reason that they were not taken.
What ever you decide to tell them, you will have to stick with it. There's is no coming clean later on. If you say say Black, you cannot say that it was white or almost grey etc.

As for the REP, if that is what you want at the end of basic training. However, believe me, you will get your jumps in, to the point where you will be sick of getting into the truck, going 5 Ks to the airport, getting kitted up, jumping on the DZ at the back of the camp, handing in your 'chute and then going about your normal day.

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
Humps,

Welcome to the forum and good luck.

It is a National disgrace that so many men have passed Pegasus Company selection and then have been unable to undertake their parachute course. They are despised by their peers who have done so, even though, they wear the same beret.

Thank God Commando Brigade only accept those that have completed the All Arms Commando Course. Hence there is little or no friction.

When I served the Paras were excellent as were the Commandos.

Simply go for it.

Last edited: