a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello

Reaction score
Home Country
Greece
Hello guys,i am a 22 years old male from Greece and i am planning to go to Aubagne in February in order to join the Legion.In Greece i work as a cook and my question is if i am going to be selected ,what are the odds to be a cook in the legion?(cause i really dont want to be a cook in the legion)

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Hello guys,i am a 22 years old male from Greece and i am planning to go to Aubagne in February in order to join the Legion.In Greece i work as a cook and my question is if i am going to be selected ,what are the odds to be a cook in the legion?(cause i really don't want to be a cook in the legion)
Why not. People need to eat 3 times a day and as for combat experience, its questionably if you gonna ever had one. So yeah why not, but have in mind that you will also be a soldier not just preparing food for them.

One my friend on board have phobia from legion cooks. Especially those coming from East Europe. :)

Reaction score
Home Country
Greece
Why not. People need to eat 3 times a day and as for combat experience, its questionably if you gonna ever had one. So yeah why not, but have in mind that you will also be a soldier not just preparing food for them.

One my friend on board have phobia from legion cooks. Especially those coming from East Europe. :)
Well i did my service in the greek army for 9 months as ranger ,the thing is if i want to cook i will just continue to work in other (restaurant .hotels)except the legion.I just wanna know what are the chances to be chosen as a cook

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Hello sami96, and welcome to the forum,

first and foremost you will be a legionnaire. I would recommend staying in a company combat. Secondly, the fact the you were a cook before does not mean that you will be a cook in the legion. Practically everyone is sent to a combat company after instruction. The cooks are usually those that cannot handle the hardships of everyday (if there is an every day life in a combat company) so they ask to leave to go to the CCS or CCL or whatever the support company is called. You will then get the choice of where you will go to. You have to remember by the time you are ready to leave a combat company you will have a few courses under your belt.

You could be a medic or a driver or a mechanic etc. in a company combat and than if you choose to go to the CCS or CCL, you will probably be put where you can keep up your new trade.
Believe me the food in the legion is not 4 star cooking, so they are not looking for people with civilian qualifications to open up a can of peeled tomatoes or peas, and let's be honest, anyone can fry a hamburger.

Katalmach

Donator
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Sh*t, why would anybody want to join the Legion for anything else than to be a combat soldier. Blows my mind

Reminds me of a ridiculous video I saw yesterday, filmed by a rifle instructor in the US army. The reservists were there for their yearly rifle qualification. A female Sergeant, mind you, a SERGEANT, could not load the rounds into the magazine, or hit anything. Her excuse was "I'm just a reservist"

Soldier first. Every thing else SECOND

SnafuSmite

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
Everybody's different, we had one guy come on here nuts about the Legion band and playing a trumpet or whatever. Too be honest I'd rather have a guy that enjoys cooking and has a passion for it cooking my meals, than some random bloke who's stuck there cause he cant hack it and would rather peel potatoes for however long he's got left on his contract. Mystery Mondays would be something to look forward to:ROFLMAO:

Katalmach

Donator
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Everybody's different, we had one guy come on here nuts about the Legion band and playing a trumpet or whatever. Too be honest I'd rather have a guy that enjoys cooking and has a passion for it cooking my meals, than some random bloke who's stuck there cause he cant hack it and would rather peel potatoes for however long he's got left on his contract. Mystery Mondays would be something to look forward to:ROFLMAO:

Damn, that's a fair point. Sounds like our OP isn't the right man for that job though. Give him FAMAS instead

SnafuSmite

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
Everybody has to start off as a riflemen. As long as he doesn't say I want to be "The Chef" the Sgt will can himself!

mammikoura

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Finland
just tell them exactly what you told us. "If I want to be a cook then I will go and work in a restaurant, I want to be a soldier and that's why I'm trying to join the legion"

Easy enough.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Guys I'm pretty sure that sami96 doesn't want to join FFL just to be cook, but if that is his affinity, why not. Legion as every army have needs for different occupations and there is limited need for SF like jobs, so...

Of course as Joe said you are soldier in first place, and if sh*t hits the fan there would be no separation on combat and non combat companies.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Why be a Cook when you can drive a Tank !:) but you could be an Asset to your Section out in the Field cooking the scoff...(y)

Reaction score
Home Country
Greece
Guys thanks for your replays and your answers I have few more questions to bring .What about the teeth value .,i have bad teeth but i have them all fixed and i have no missing teeth but i have dental fillings is there going to be a problem with that?

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Guys thanks for your replays and your answers I have few more questions to bring .What about the teeth value .,i have bad teeth but i have them all fixed and i have no missing teeth but i have dental fillings is there going to be a problem with that?
Hi sami, use the search mode at the top right hand corner. You'll find a lot of answers to your questions. If not feel free to ask.

Reaction score
Home Country
Greece
Hi sami, use the search mode at the top right hand corner. You'll find a lot of answers to your questions. If not feel free to ask.
Hey, i did some research as you recommended but they are some things that i didnt clear out,are they gonna count my teeth that have dental fillings as completly valuable or are they gonna be sceptical about it?

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Hey, i did some research as you recommended but they are some things that i didnt clear out,are they gonna count my teeth that have dental fillings as completly valuable or are they gonna be sceptical about it?

Yes they are, count is only for missing teeth. You shouldn't have decay.

Katalmach

Donator
Reaction score
Home Country
United States

Pretty much what Dusa said

Currently serving Legionnaires can tell you better, but according to the Legion website, you can have no more than 6 missing teeth. My personal assessment based simply on common sense, is that if you are missing that many, you won't get selected.

As it reads, no tooth decay allowed. I am going to guess that means no cavities (or no more than 6, I guess). It also mentions Masticatory force. Must be 40% or greater

Masticatory force is how hard you can bite, so, jaw strength. Don't know how they'll test that, but I imagine they'll have you bite down on something. Or maybe they judge it by the strength of your teeth

Just make sure you have no cavities, and you do well on physical and psychotechnical. You'll be fine, man

Reaction score
Home Country
Greece
Thanks for the answer guys ,but am i going to have less chances to be selceted as a guys with dental fillings?

Reaction score
Home Country
Greece
Hello guys again, while i was spending my days preparing for the legion ,i read at a legion site about the medical things you shouldnt have in order to join in the legion .One of these is the lax of knee and i have hyperextended knees(genetical) but they had never casue me a problem.I searched the forum about knees but i havent found a anyone with similar problem.Are my hyperextended knees gonna make the doctors sent my back home?