a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help Finding A French Camerade

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
When I was in Somalia, I struck up a friendship with a French soldier (not Legionnaire) at the Old Port compound in Mogadishu. We corresponded for a few years afterwards but lost contact.

His name is Bruno Francis, and I found a Facebook profile with that name in indicating a position (Vacancier Eternal) at Armée de Terre. He doesn't show a picture so I can't tell.

Would any French speakers with knowledge of finding French veterans be willing to help track him down? Perhaps other sources besides Facebook?

The attached pic is from a letter he wrote to me from Bosnia in 1994.20181006_111849.jpg

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
You have the name
You have the rank
You have the fonction. .Genie / Engineers
France has a policy of not giving details of "persons", who do not want their where abouts known. ..even close family

If i was you. ..i would write to his ex regiment (he is civil by now..being a NCO...might maintain contact with his ex unit)
A couple of post it's, correctly placed in the mess bar,might ring a bell to those who served with
Hope this helps

Reaction score
Home Country
United States

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
The profile of the guy in Copains d’avant (in French Buddies from before, literally translated) doesn’t show any time spent in Somalia.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
The profile of the guy in Copains d’avant (in French Buddies from before, literally translated) doesn’t show any time spent in Somalia.
Thanks for taking a look, Rapace. I think I might have found him on Facebook and wrote him a note.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
ArtyFO, the address is a military SP secteur postale Which means that it will first go to France to the BPM Bureau de Poste Militaire or vaguemestre as it is known in military camps. So there is no point in putting on stamps to get to a different country.
The people who work in the BPMs are civilians who, when overseas, are given a uniform and rank. If you send an envelope with with the SP address, there is a chance that it will be forwarded on to him. Just don't put your return address on the back.

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
The Francis (Christian name) Bruno (surname) profile found on FB seems to be the same as the one found by Peter Lyderik on the site Copains d'avant. The guys was a military Engineer and worked in French Polynesia. Don't see anything about a deployment in Somalia. Anyway, you have his picture on FB so you may remember if this is the guy you're looking for.
In any case why not contact him directly via FB ? Don't bother writing to the address shown on the envelope. SP, as mentioned by Joseph, means Secteur Postal, it's a military address that is generally temporary and is used to send snail mail to servicemen deployed out of France. In some cases, the address can remain in service several years if the deployment becomes semi-permanent (e.g. Opération “Barkhane” in Mali), but otherwise, it becames invalid as soon as the deployment comes to an end.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
If you send an envelope with with the SP address, there is a chance that it will be forwarded on to him. Just don't put your return address on the back.
I won't send a letter to that address because that is from a letter of over 20 years ago. I can't imagine they would route it to him, especially if he is likely to be retired a long time ago. Or?

The Francis (Christian name) Bruno (surname) profile found on FB seems to be the same as the one found by Peter Lyderik on the site Copains d'avant. The guys was a military Engineer and worked in French Polynesia. Don't see anything about a deployment in Somalia. Anyway, you have his picture on FB so you may remember if this is the guy you're looking for.
Rapace, would you be able to PM me the link to that particular profile. I'm not finding that profile with the French Polynesia info. I did write to a couple Bruno Francis: one was retired military and from our exhange of notes we determined he is not the write guy. The other one, who lists a current employer as "Agent Commerical," I wrote to. His picture looks like the write guy. But last time I saw him, we were either ducking bullets, or getting f****ckd up on his stash of wine.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Rapace is da man! I think he found my old comrade for me. Hopefully he returns my message soon.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I heard back from my old comrade today. Thanks especially to Rapace for finding his profile in Facebook (somehow my search there was unsuccessful). Hoping to get a chance to visit him if we can get our schedules together. I am certainly not going to visit him in Tchad where he works. Maybe I will meet up with him in Thailand where his family is or in France next year. Thanks so much for those who helped me. Pretty f**king nice of you to take the time for a non-legionnaire.
Respectfully yours, ArtyFO