a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help me get it right, please.

Reaction score
Home Country
Kenya
Hello everyone, I'm Alexander from Kenya (Africa), I have had my part and share of this life here, done my part and really want to move for better. I would love to join the Legion with passion, the problem is the visa part since application of such documents don't come cheap here in Africa plus the perception of where I am in the eyes of Europe, and then a refusal would mean another few years of hard labour and struggle to recover from the non refundable fees, what is the nearest easy way of acquiring a visa without a hustle.
If anyone can help, I would really be thankful, life here is no bed of roses, and the boats trips I believe are not for me. I just wanna land there legal and join, got nothing to lose but all to gain, am just alone in the world and hope I can get a military like feeling of family, be blessed and be focused. An answer to that will be helpful, thanks.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Hello Alexander and welcome to the forum. Perhaps you'd like to tell us a bit about yourself. Up to now all we know is that Kenya is in Africao_O which clears up any confusion.;)
I understand that it isn't easy for Africans to get visas etc. but I'm not sure how we can help you. Unless there is someone else who has come from Kenya.

Anyway good luck and if you find any news please do share it with us.

SnafuSmite

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
I can only advise you about the Visa process from South Africa, there was a Kenyan on the forum a while back, but cannot think of his name.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
H Alexander,

Welcome to the forum. I appreciate that life is not easy for you in Kenya. At least it is not as cruel and unpleasant as the old Belgian Congo in days of yore. (Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness etc.)

Back to modernity seek as much information as you can from the Greens and scan old posts.

It is unfortunate that the forum has a paucity of Greens. I only hang on to offer moral support, write nonsense, enjoy banter, on the off chance some Greens will return or join. I live in hope !

All the very best in you endeavours.

Reaction score
Home Country
Kenya
Hello Alexander and welcome to the forum. Perhaps you'd like to tell us a bit about yourself. Up to now all we know is that Kenya is in Africao_O which clears up any confusion.;)
I understand that it isn't easy for Africans to get visas etc. but I'm not sure how we can help you. Unless there is someone else who has come from Kenya.

Anyway good luck and if you find any news please do share it with us.
Thank you sir, I have been going through some of the old posts and am starting to have ideas on how to make a plan, e.g get a visit visa (Schegen) to Germany, then take a two days visit by train to France and straight to the Legion gate. Anyway it's just a thought, otherwise I was looking more forward for someone to invite me for a visit as a friend which can be a bit easy in visa processing. I have worked in South Africa at east rand (springs) as an armed response guard but was staying as a refugee due to tribal war at home. Am currently in Botswana, working for some company, but still I feel this is not for me, anyway, thank you for your wisdom, I know with time I'll still find a way out, through this forum here, thanks again mate, good times ahead.

I can only advise you about the Visa process from South Africa, there was a Kenyan on the forum a while back, but cannot think of his name.
Thanks mate, it's not easy here but I guess it's the same process everywhere. Was working in EAST RAND (SPRINGS) for S.A security as an armed response officer some years back, but was using the refugee permits. Am currently working in Botswana but have both a work and resident permits. I may think it's the same process with S.A, I'll try go to the consulate office see how much info I might get. Am also going through old posts to see if I might come across any info from the past experience. It's awesome to have people like you on board, I feel like am already there, though still. Ha,ha,ha, thanks mate. Positivity will see us through, blessed day ahead.

H Alexander,

Welcome to the forum. I appreciate that life is not easy for you in Kenya. At least it is not as cruel and unpleasant as the old Belgian Congo in days of yore. (Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness etc.)

Back to modernity seek as much information as you can from the Greens and scan old posts.

It is unfortunate that the forum has a paucity of Greens. I only hang on to offer moral support, write nonsense, enjoy banter, on the off chance some Greens will return or join. I live in hope !

All the very best in you endeavours.
Thanks alot Chas, it's good to have positive people like you and I appreciate your guidance all through, i hope all will go well for me, I just feel the hunger to join and be positive about every little thing be it good or bad. Life is not easy everywhere but it's hell at others, with all this tribal wars and corruptions in our continent, it's my obligation to equip myself with all the kind of education and experience i can get for the future, big up friend,thanks and be blessed.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Hungry, no need to call me sir. Before getting to France, check up on some of the other posts, like teeth and eyesight. I take it you can do the pull ups and have trained on the Luc Leger. It really is a long way to go, not just distance, to get turned away because of something that could have been avoided.

SnafuSmite

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
Thanks mate, it's not easy here but I guess it's the same process everywhere. Was working in EAST RAND (SPRINGS) for S.A security as an armed response officer some years back, but was using the refugee permits. Am currently working in Botswana but have both a work and resident permits. I may think it's the same process with S.A, I'll try go to the consulate office see how much info I might get. Am also going through old posts to see if I might come across any info from the past experience. It's awesome to have people like you on board, I feel like am already there, though still. Ha,ha,ha, thanks mate. Positivity will see us through, blessed day ahead.
Mate as long as we stay motivated, then we can do it. I have my PSIRA grades as well.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Wouldn't it be easier for a Kenyan to travel to England first (Commonwealth) then France?

SnafuSmite

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
Commenwealth is a nightmare LP, just using Heathrow as a transit point requires a Ā£100 visa.

Reaction score
Home Country
Kenya
Wouldn't it be easier for a Kenyan to travel to England first (Commonwealth) then France?
It's an idea Petit Caporal, but a nightmare to pass through, unless I have someone whom am visiting in England, beautiful idea though, blessed.

Commenwealth is a nightmare LP, just using Heathrow as a transit point requires a Ā£100 visa.
Snafu, 100% true, it's a total nightmare. Am checking out a route via, Germany. If it materializes, well and good.

zan

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa

I'm interested in the Visa process from South Africa if you dont mind sharing?:)

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
If I recall SNAFU Smite said in no way shape or form announce in the Visa Process I intend to go to France to join the Legion, especially in SA.

zan

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
If I recall SNAFU Smite said in no way shape or form announce in the Visa Process I intend to go to France to join the Legion, especially in SA.
Yeah, I've seen some people say that as well. But then I've also seen people on this forum say that the French Consulate in SA makes special provision for FFL applicants. So much conflicting information that I'm just not sure what to do anymore.

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Yeah, I've seen some people say that as well. But then I've also seen people on this forum say that the French Consulate in SA makes special provision for FFL applicants. So much conflicting information that I'm just not sure what to do anymore.

This is a SNAFU Smite specialty answer. Does it have to do with a SA joining a foreign military and they look upon it as treason?

ZALegion

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
Hi Alexander,

I think it would be wiser to acknowledge that you do have something to lose and carefully asses the situation from there. If you plan to try for the FFL you should know beforehand that loss will be a factor, the Legion accepts ~ 1/8 applicants with no regard of the hurdles you jumped to present yourself. Once you are comfortable with what is at stake you will than carefully plan your trip because your shot could be a once in a lifetime shot and should be accorded the appropriate reverence.

I personally know of a Kenyan serving in 2REP who has a little kid, so it is possible. His name is also Alex šŸ¤”.He recently deleted his Facebook but if you are desperate I can put you in touch with a South African serving in 2REP who is friends with the said Kenyan.

Now your VISA question. Obtaining a visa from Kenya will be a bit tricky. As you know in the recent years Somalia has had some difficulties and many Somali citizens have found refuge in Kenya, this means that visa requirements for Kenya as a country have become stringent. Europe is currently in a tricky political situation so they are on alert on when it comes to visa applicants from ā€œIslamicā€ countries. I know Kenya isnā€™t classified as an Islamic country but due to the large Somali population finding refuge in Kenya it has been classified as one for the purpose of visa issuing anyway.

When applying for your visa or travelling keep in my that EVERYTHING will be kept on record. So if you apply and are denied this will be a mark against you when you try again. Make sure all your documents are in order and properly filled. Also know that being from Kenya (closely associated with Somalia) you will probably get a little more attention at the border gate, be prepared. Try not take any extra attention personally itā€™s nothing against you but politics.

Anyway I canā€™t sign off without also thanking you for the geography lessonšŸ˜‰ .

Out of curiosity are you the same Kenyan fellow who had a lady inquire on his behalf a few days ago?

ZALegion

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa

Alright Zan?

Your visa application from South Africa should be straight forward and if Iā€™m being honest it should be the least of your concerns when it comes to joining the legion. People say itā€™s a nightmare because of the little administration involved. It really isnā€™t.

If you have the funds for travel, accommodation, return ticket and are a stable member of society, you will be fine. Your visa application literally takes hours to confirm, you will get your passport back in a day and thatā€™s only because of postage time delay to the agency responsible. If you apply at first appointment 10am (I think) by 15H30 you should have an sms telling you of your approval.

South Africa is a tourist market that France are trying hard to engage. It would also seem that South Africans have very little interest in France when compared to Britain, Canada or America and the islands. Thatā€™s always been funny to me that South Africa being a tropical weather country South Africans still prefer touring tropical weather areas. šŸ¤”.

Yes it is true when applying for a visa to France, ā€œJoining the FFLā€ is an option under reasons for going. I have learned that the reason for this is that by regulation France is part of the Schengen Agreement and part of the agreement is that visitors must be able to show domicile commitment to their country of origin. If you arenā€™t a property owner, full time employed or a student France cannot grant you a visa. To circumvent this France added an additional option for South Africans as some sort of grey area.

To sum up; I wouldnā€™t worry too much about visa getting denied. France is interested in getting South Africans to France and there is also a nuclear deal that France is trying to sweeten with South Africa so they have been as accommodating to South Africans as they can possibly be without breaking their legal commitments to the Schengen Agreement.

SnafuSmite

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
Hi Zan, ZAlegion summed it up pretty well. There are 2 options a Tourist visa or an FFL visa, however on the actual visa itself it says tourist on both :). The tourist itself is pretty simple, airplane tickets including a return, proof of accommodation and roughly ā‚¬100 per day for the duration of your stay. This along with a letter from your place of employment, guardian or university, essentially something to confirm that you'll be returning to ZA. The FFL route or as I call it the letter route is simpler in some ways, there's a link on the french consular website that generates a letter from the french ministry of defence basically saying you intend to join the FFL. You will also need proof of flights and accommodation if you dont make it. Also visa processes are done via Capago in ZA. 2 pieces of advice instead of buying tickets for your visa get a quote from a travel agent that will suffice. Also book in a cash on arrival hotel/hostel so that you dont have to fork out additional cash.