a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Here goes nothing

funkyNights

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Finland
Soo.. I had a disagreement with my teacher and what I studied was not my thing and I left the school.
I am currently looking for tickets to France, I have planned to fly to Aubagne, punish some bad girls and after few days I will enlist... to the legion of lost souls... ah how romantic... lol. I will grab my passport, some cash, teddybear, razor, cigarettes and toothbrush. I think that's all I need. I'll do my best, cheers. It was interesting knowing you, I learned many life lessons such as not commenting about one's wife's balls.

Bon Voyage

Sparrow

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
South Africa
Hope it is for you what you think it is.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
all the best mate. Give it all you've got, if you go half hearted you'll regret it forever. One day you'll say I used to be in the legion! Not many can say that.

Old Adj

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Scotland
Good luck and a free advise: Leave the teddy at peace and take a couple of tooth brushes, just in case you get into initial training. :)

Another bit of (unasked for) advice (from someone who knows). Leave the cigarettes at home, too. You don't need them.

Good Luck.

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Canada
Another bit of (unasked for) advice (from someone who knows). Leave the cigarettes at home, too. You don't need them.

Good Luck.
However, they are good to use for trading for food or beer.;)

funkyNights

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Finland
At the airport, I take couple of days vacation and go to the recruitment office on Monday. I will probably not be on internet much after this but I will tell you if I got in at some point.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand

Good Luck.
Does Aubagne (EVs) still issue you with cigarettes. I remember we used to get "Gitanes sans filtres" luckily I didn't smoke. And the ration packs were "caporale" which could be exchanged for "eau de vie". I think it was that witch edith Cresson who stopped the alcohol and tobacco.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
Excusez-moi, Joseph Cosgrove, mais qu'est que c'est "eau de vie"? C`est un vine? :D
Call me Joe or Jimmy, eau de vie is a kind of cognac which was in a small glass bottle. It was strong, probably 40 degrees. It was great on cold nights as was the glu vine, don't ask me how it was spelled. and of course you didn't get in your rations, It was hot wine (Castel Pif) oranges, apples and sugar.

Sparrow

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
South Africa
We never got issued cigarettes... :(

Samtoo

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
The Tropic of Mexico...near Little Havana.
Best answers
Home Country
United States
before our time the guys in the 80,s got them in ration packs.

Plus we received a monthly alotment that we paid for.....I think 24 packs of Gaulois. Everyone was borrowing cigarettes or smoking butts found on the ground or in the helmet ash trays toward the end of the month.

Sparrow

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
South Africa
Plus we received a monthly alotment that we paid for.....I think 24 packs of Gaulois. Everyone was borrowing cigarettes or smoking butts found on the ground or in the helmet ash trays toward the end of the month.

Haha yeah that sounds familiar...

flash010

Top Member
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Scotland
by the time i joined 89 that was history we got a shite ration pack with a small bottle of hot sauce to kill the taste only thing i liked was the tea and coffee and tinned cheese and the soup.
the us rations were the gucci gear lol

Most viewed threads of the week