Hey all

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
In my Tank there would be good gunnery & Signals. No slacking... Incoming from chas ..haha

USMCRET

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
The naval Gun fire is brought in by 29 Commando.. Royal Artillery. They are also the 105 mm Guns who served US well in the falklands. The 29 guys are Royal Artillery & later do the all Arms Commando course. Now chas argues but we did so much before the Commando Tests.. I say the all Arms Commando guys passed all the Tests you took longer to train for. The Royal Artillery are the Gunners & forward observation bar none.
Sexpert, ARTILLERY IS THE KING OF THE BATTLE FIELD! Make it rain! I was explaining to some of the people I work with now and I tried to explain to them the concept of Counter Battery. They say, what is that? I'd say when the little Haji fecks shot a rocket or mortar and when the round broke the horizon our battery 3rd Battalion 11th Marines had a very and I mean very nasty present out on its way. All trained Iraqi gun crews did not last long. They miserably failed at "shoot, Move, and Communicate.

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
Sexpert, ARTILLERY IS THE KING OF THE BATTLE FIELD! Make it rain! I was explaining to some of the people I work with now and I tried to explain to them the concept of Counter Battery. They say, what is that? I'd say when the little Haji fecks shot a rocket or mortar and when the round broke the horizon our battery 3rd Battalion 11th Marines had a very and I mean very nasty present out on its way. All trained Iraqi gun crews did not last long. They miserably failed at "shoot, Move, and Communicate.
Yes we had 94 locating regt for that. They can Pin point where another Gun Battery is firing. That is why we moved a lot in the regt. We used the m109 self propelled howitzer. I loved that Yankee Gun. It was also nuclear capable. I did this with the US Artillery in sennelager. 15 usafad i think it was called.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
North Korea
We have a camp (french army)
Valdahon, was used by US troops in 1918 for training purposes (artillerie) before first engagement
The barracks of 2 REI actually, here in Nîmes where i lived. ..
Hosted US grunts too
There is footage of them visiting the, ' Pont de Gard', the Gard bridge (built by legionnaires 50 b.c.

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
We were masked up in full Chemical scenario & tested by the US. Was serious stuff at the time. I was too young to fully understand what we were learning.

OP
Ex-Pongo

Ex-Pongo

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Scotland
What's the meaning behind that Joe? What is the Pong?
The pong is generally the smell of the average army squaddie. That's how the joke goes. One of the other reasons is an african ape breed's latin name is 'pongo'.

The actual reason the Pongo nickname was introduced is when the Brit Army infantry was used to as a guard on Navy boats. When they docked (the boats, not the Matelot into each other in their bunks) the Pongoes would be sent ashore first to do an assortment of tasks. These tasks included setting up a brewery (I'd argue the most important task) and the main part of the still was called a 'Pongo'.
So the Navy called the infantry that, then any member of the army eventually called that as time went by.

I was originally called Pongo cause when I left the army I worked for an entire Ex RM security company.

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
The pong is generally the smell of the average army squaddie. That's how the joke goes. One of the other reasons is an african ape breed's latin name is 'pongo'.

The actual reason the Pongo nickname was introduced is when the Brit Army infantry was used to as a guard on Navy boats. When they docked (the boats, not the Matelot into each other in their bunks) the Pongoes would be sent ashore first to do an assortment of tasks. These tasks included setting up a brewery (I'd argue the most important task) and the main part of the still was called a 'Pongo'.
So the Navy called the infantry that, then any member of the army eventually called that as time went by.

I was originally called Pongo cause when I left the army I worked for an entire Ex RM security company.
Never knew the story so there ya go...learned something today

USMCRET

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
Yep learned something, our lexicons are all different.

USMCRET

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
We have a camp (french army)
Valdahon, was used by US troops in 1918 for training purposes (artillerie) before first engagement
The barracks of 2 REI actually, here in Nîmes where i lived. ..
Hosted US grunts too
There is footage of them visiting the, ' Pont de Gard', the Gard bridge (built by legionnaires 50 b.c.
That is awesome!

USMCRET

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
Yes we had 94 locating regt for that. They can Pin point where another Gun Battery is firing. That is why we moved a lot in the regt. We used the m109 self propelled howitzer. I loved that Yankee Gun. It was also nuclear capable. I did this with the US Artillery in sennelager. 15 usafad i think it was called.
The US Army uses the self propelled guns, the Marine corps used the M198s, 155 mm Howitzers. In 2004 the Battery was dug in. But during the war both the original Gulf War and in the Iraqi war, they would shoot, then they would move by Helicopter, the massive CH53s, or by truck. They would redeploy and shoot again, WHAT A SIGHT TO SEE, ESPECIALLY AT NIGHT, as long as one were not on the receiving end of the fire.

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
The US Army uses the self propelled guns, the Marine corps used the M198s, 155 mm Howitzers. In 2004 the Battery was dug in. But during the war both the original Gulf War and in the Iraqi war, they would shoot, then they would move by Helicopter, the massive CH53s, or by truck. They would redeploy and shoot again, WHAT A SIGHT TO SEE, ESPECIALLY AT NIGHT, as long as one were not on the receiving end of the fire.
watch the British light gun in action..a great gun. I served on the Guns as a "Gun Bunny" then later saw how it worked from the CRA `s point of view. I worked on Artillery Operations 1 UK Armoured Div Herford Germany.

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
the M109 is a great gun.. we also had the British 105mm Abbot Gun but the M109 ; M110, M107 were great. I remember in Sennelaher we had 39 Heavy Regt, they had the big Guns.

USMCRET

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
watch the British light gun in action..a great gun. I served on the Guns as a "Gun Bunny" then later saw how it worked from the CRA `s point of view. I worked on Artillery Operations 1 UK Armoured Div Herford Germany.
Watching a five bag RAP round at night was like watching a firework lightening show all in one

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
North Korea
That is awesome!
Been watching lately on T.V. lots of docus on the WW1 and was suprised myself learning this
Valdahon the camp is massive and i did it twice. ..winter and autum (usual period for all weapons training = fire risk)
France is preparing a massive cérémonie for the 100 years after the end of the conflict

Btw, was uncle Sam who build most of Frances infrastuctures (rail ways and roads)....what ever any one else might say
Sure, it was for the war effort and have been remplaced since, but still

USMCRET

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
the M109 is a great gun.. we also had the British 105mm Abbot Gun but the M109 ; M110, M107 were great. I remember in Sennelaher we had 39 Heavy Regt, they had the big Guns.
The Army used the 105s in Fallajuah until 1st MEF took over with our 155s, we reached out and touched the Iraqis where as the 105s simply did not have the long reach.

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
Watching a five bag RAP round at night was like watching a firework lightening show all in one
yes we fired illuminating for the infantry.. the Staffords . Artillery is the god of war. Their mortars fired..not bad but we lighted up the whole sky. Gunnery is an art in its self.

Most viewed threads of the week