a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hey all

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Been watching lately on T.V. lots of docus on the WW1 and was suprised myself learning this
Valdahon the camp is massive and i did it twice. ..winter and autum (usual period for all weapons training = fire risk)
France is preparing a massive cérémonie for the 100 years after the end of the conflict

Btw, was uncle Sam who build most of Frances infrastuctures (rail ways and roads)....what ever any one else might say
Sure, it was for the war effort and have been remplaced since, but still

Well, we owed a debt of gratitude to the French for the Revolutionary War assist. 11 Nov. is quickly approaching. The 11th of November is now Veteran's Day in the states.

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
yes we fired illuminating for the infantry.. the Staffords . Artillery is the god of war. Their mortars fired..not bad but we lighted up the whole sky. Gunnery is an art in its self.

Yes, Arty is the KING of BATTLE. On target withering fire is absolutely needed, a force expander.

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Been watching lately on T.V. lots of docus on the WW1 and was suprised myself learning this
Valdahon the camp is massive and i did it twice. ..winter and autum (usual period for all weapons training = fire risk)
France is preparing a massive cérémonie for the 100 years after the end of the conflict

Btw, was uncle Sam who build most of Frances infrastuctures (rail ways and roads)....what ever any one else might say
Sure, it was for the war effort and have been remplaced since, but still

When I was stationed at Camp Pendleton, California, 2001 to 2005, field firing often started fires. Southern California is very dry. Tracer rounds or other fire often got wild fires going.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
When I was stationed at Camp Pendleton, California, 2001 to 2005, field firing often started fires. Southern California is very dry. Tracer rounds or other fire often got wild fires going.
happened to us too in Alberta Canada. Like i wrote before if i was in the Legion my Tank would be the best in Gunnery & Comms. :D

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Was going to add. ..before and after the armistice, ...
The General Pershing declared on the ship before landing at the port of Boulogne sur mer, ' here we are Lafayette'
Château de Versailles, has the Pershing monument in honour of the Lafayette. ..i belive it was Pershing who said, 'Job done Lafayette'
Recently, France built a replica of the Hermine, think that'sa stoat or weasel in french. ..the boat that carried Lafayette to America
It sailed to your shores and did a courtesy tour. Is now back here

Last edited:

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea

We have had recently the sorry expérience of this, near Marseille
A NCO got the blame and wasnt re engaged

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea

Stands to reason, imo
But the lads have to be trained in all conditions and circumstances