a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hey

Status
Not open for further replies.

ALX

Reaction score
Home Country
Ireland
Hey guys,

Im Alex and I am from Ireland. I have wanted to be a soldier since I could speak. I learned of the Legion when I was 12 and I am still debating on whether or not to join. I will be asking a lot of questions and trying to get as much information as I can... Knowledge is power...

I really hope I can get along with everyone here and trust I will learn a lot here...

Thanks

Alex

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Hi Alex, just curious why you didn't try for the Irish army? Perhaps you should tell us about yourself? It makes things easier.

ALX

Reaction score
Home Country
Ireland
Hi Alex, just curious why you didn't try for the Irish army? Perhaps you should tell us about yourself? It makes things easier.
Yes you are right. I'll try my best to make this as short as possible...
Basically, Ireland is a neutral country meaning I cannot actively defend Europe from real threats eg. ISIS... Our military is extremely low budget and horrible, you are paid dirt cheap, in fact it costs more money to do your guard duties than you get payed (travel expenses etc.).
We do go on UN peacekeeping missions but there is no action. Now I am not saying I am Rambo and want combat, but I don't want to put 5 years of my life and my time into an army which does practically nothing. The most I have ever personally seen the Irish Army doing is shoveling snow for elderly at church during winter..
The other two options are the British and the Legion. I refuse to join the British due to the atrocities they committed on my people not very long ago and it would bring shame to my family. The Legion is the only option left.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Well all that sounds good to me, except the atrocities part. I'm not looking for a debate on the subject, what I mean is when you go to join do not mention that part. It might well be an English NCO interviewing you. Whatever, you will be working with Englishmen in the Legion, so I'd keep any feelings on that subject to myself.
Same thing goes for N. Ireland, if you are a protestant, do mention anything bad against the Catholics. I know that years of troubles cannot be swept under the table, but joining the Legion is starting a new life.
By the way, there were two parts to my question -telling us a bit about yourself :unsure:

ALX

Reaction score
Home Country
Ireland
Well all that sounds good to me, except the atrocities part. I'm not looking for a debate on the subject, what I mean is when you go to join do not mention that part. It might well be an English NCO interviewing you. Whatever, you will be working with Englishmen in the Legion, so I'd keep any feelings on that subject to myself.
Same thing goes for N. Ireland, if you are a protestant, do mention anything bad against the Catholics. I know that years of troubles cannot be swept under the table, but joining the Legion is starting a new life.
By the way, there were two parts to my question -telling us a bit about yourself :unsure:.
Yes I never planned on bringing up my countries past, I am friend with a lot of English but I personally cannot swear an oath to the Queen and wear her flag on my arm.
Now the second part of your question (apologies I forgot)... Currently 17 years old, still in school on my last year then going to go to university to try and study law or history. During these 4 years I will enlist in the Irish Army Reserve and when I complete my degree I will leave the Army Reserve and decide on what military I will join... more than likely the Legion..
I love aviation (fighter jets etc), I like watches and I love the outdoors... I am quite active, I go to the gym around 4 - 5 times a week and take care of all foods I eat (no McDonald's, Burger King and the likes). I do play video games a bit on my chill out time. I have wanted to be a soldier since watching the movie Saving Private Ryan when I was around 4 - 5 years old. My plan is to just do a 5 year contract, complete my service and then go into investing in real estate or going into law.
Anything else you want to know just let me know...

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
(...) The other two options are the British and the Legion. I refuse to join the British due to the atrocities they committed on my people not very long ago and it would bring shame to my family. The Legion is the only option left.
Atrocities... You're having a laugh buddy? Do you remember the pitch fork murders? Just doing our job buddy.

ALX

Reaction score
Home Country
Ireland
Atrocities... You're having a laugh buddy? Do you remember the pitch fork murders? Just doing our job buddy.
I am speaking about the rising where the Black and Tans (Royal Irish Constabulary Special Reserve) pulled families out of their homes and raided them for everything they owned, executed women and men and teenagers, ransacked my great grandparents house, executed Catholics for just being catholic, Bloody Sunday 1920 where they drove an armoured vehicle into a football field and open fired on unarmed civilians, Bloody Sunday 1972 where they open fired on unarmed civilians protesting.
The English did these atrocities, it is public knowledge even your Queen acknowledges as she made a public apology for the atrocities committed. She's done this in Dublin a few years ago.

Also I don't really want to get into any arguments here or debate this, I am here to learn about the Legion, not about history. I am already a History student so I already know what there is to know about my country's history... So I would prefer not to make any enemies as I may join the Legion soon and I don't want any angry faces from people when I turn up who may be on here...

Reaction score
Home Country
Egypt
It's a brave new world mate, postmodernism rules, which means you can really take an oath and serve the Queen. I'd do it in a heartbeat. No offence, but the UK f*cked my country much more than it did to yours. For 80 years they stole, killed, raped, conquered and ruined our infrastructure yet, yes I'd join the British army in a heartbeat! You have a good option, don't waste it.

ALX

Reaction score
Home Country
Ireland
It's a brave new world mate, postmodernism rules, which means you can really take an oath and serve the Queen. I'd do it in a heartbeat. No offence, but the UK f*cked my country much more than it did to yours. For 80 years they stole, killed, raped, conquered and ruined our infrastructure yet, yes I'd join the British army in a heartbeat! You have a good option, don't waste it.
Yes, I mean the British done this stuff to use for I believe 800 years and oppressed the Catholics, and the Irish really haven't forgotten. In my opinion, the Legion offers a better option than the British Army.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
ALX,

Welcome to the forum. Learn all you can about the FFL. Then as an aspirant go to the gates.

Bluntly, with your attitude and expressed views, you would be unsuitable for the British Armed Forces. I for one would not wish to serve with you, nor would the current Brit Armed Forces. I do however wish you well if you apply to the FFL.

I have also served and know a little about what is on offer.

spooker

Reaction score
Home Country
India
Better not make this into a “lets hate on the British thread”, considering quite a few people (ex-Legion or not) here are British. Anyway the British military has always been considered as very professional and thorough and one with lots of proud traditions and history.

GuidoLovarini

Reaction score
Home Country
Scotland
Welcome mate. So your not actually planning on joining for about 4-5 years? You could have finished your contract by then.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
OK all, let's get off the big bad Brits subject and concentrate on ALX options of joining. The past is the past. Alex, I don't mean to rub your nose in it, but the fact that you are 17 (I was once too) changes the way we respond to your question, which is why I asked you to tell us a bit about yourself.
The fact that you are thinking of joining the Irish reserve can be good and it can be bad. You will get a taste of army life, which is good, will the taste be bitter or sweet? Well that may depend.
Use your time to learn French, and whichever avenue you choose - Legion at 18 or at 23- it will come in useful one day.

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
If you want to learn about the Legion go and join, it is the only way. As for Irish/Brit politics a lot served in the early days some of us have the t-shirt so that allows us to have a point. At 17, your experience will be second hand or history. Mine was with size 9 boots and a SLR. Quite miss the hun hunting 👨‍✈️

SnafuSmite

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
OK all, let's get off the big bad Brits subject and concentrate on ALX options of joining.
Agreed, no good outcomes with that discussion.
ALX, you've got plenty of time to learn French and get in ship shape, if you do elect for the reserves only better. If all checks out you'll be 24, fluent in French and 4 years military experience under your belt. Sounds like a great candidate to me?
The Irish military has an illustrious history, I suggest reading up on the Siege of Jadotville? (forgive the spelling).

Status
Not open for further replies.