a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Papillon,

I may sound a tad arrogant but at 80 next b/day, I'm not going to listen to some history student pontificating. I personally know about the suffering and war crimes of WW2. Yes, all sides in the sorry saga of Ireland have often acted egregiously. If the young gentleman's adverse comments were less personal, more serious and worthy of merit, I wonder why so many Irish men from both North and South join the superb 'Micks', namely the Irish Guards or the Royal Irish Rangers ?
This aggravates my pacemaker???? lol.

ALX

Reaction score
Home Country
Ireland
Again, I never wanted this to turn into an Irish vs British war. Past is the past but my history is my history and nobody has forgotten what happened. That's that, nothing I can change about it. I respect all that serve in each military whether it be British or anything else, I just wouldn't serve under the Union Jack, it's too symbolic to me.

OK all, let's get off the big bad Brits subject and concentrate on ALX options of joining. The past is the past.
Alex, I don't mean to rub your nose in it, but the fact that you are 17 (I was once too) changes the way we respond to your question, which is why I asked you to tell us a bit about yourself.

The fact that you are thinking of joining the Irish reserve, can be good and it can be bad. You will get a taste of army life,which is good. But if the taste is bitter or sweet?, Well that may depend.

Use your time to learn French, and whichever avenue you choose - legion at 18 or at 23- it will come in useful one day.
I personally think it will give me more of an insight into the Irish Defence Forces life rather than other militaries. We are a lot more laid back for example: the Irish Defence Forces are only operational from 9 - 5, that is quite bad as a military. I think this changes if a terrorist attack happens etc..

I think the only true way of me learning about Legion life is actually going to the gates and signing up. I just want to do something while I am in university and that is why I want to join the reserves, to learn to fire weapons, tactics, have a uniform, be proud of something while I wait for the bigger dedication (legion).

I really thank you for all your advice it stays with me, and to the english, I dont dislike you, I just dislike what your country did to mine, and I think after all that happened, it is ok for me to have those views...

Agreed, no good outcomes with that discussion.
ALX, you've got plenty of time to to learn French and get in ship shape, if you do elect for the reserves only better. If all checks out you'll be 24, fluent in French and 4 years military experience under your belt. Sounds like a great candidate to me?
The Irish military has an illustrious history, I suggest reading up on the Siege of Jadotville?(forgive the spelling).
Yes despite our neutrality and lack of ''action'' we do have some great history. One of the very few moments of combat we have seen was the Siege of Jadotville. That's a great movie on Netflix too..

Also I am currently on my 5th year of learning French (I am crap at it) but when the time comes I will be up to scratch.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
(...) The other two options are the British and the Legion. I refuse to join the British due to the atrocities they committed on my people not very long ago and it would bring shame to my family. The Legion is the only option left.
Some 17 year old who knows fuck all about it. Take the advice shut it. I was over there in 87. Met some scum Irish too... OK

GSP

Reaction score
Home Country
Argentina
(...) The most I have ever personally seen the Irish Army doing is shoveling snow for elderly at church during winter... (...)
Well you should be aware than in most Armies (I guess in some of the FFL regiments too) most of the time the Order of the Day will be a monotone task. In fact one of the most common thing you will have to do is Guard duty and it is extremely boring if you are looking for "action".

In fact a have friend (American) he did 3 tour of duties, one with the US Army and two with the USMC. He did them during the most active part of the conflict between 2005-2010, his last tour was as a gunner on an M1A2 and he was really bored most of the time, lucky for him he had a internet connection (slow but good enough for MSN Messenger).

Anyway, here you have a list of deployments for the FFL in 2018

https://foreignlegion.info/2018/03/29/foreign-legion-overseas-deployments-2018/

Also just a simple word of advice, once you leave your country and meet with different people, just don't bring old wounds up. If the war/conflict is over just bury the hatchet. It will help you to meet new people.

ALX

Reaction score
Home Country
Ireland
Some 17 year old who knows fuck all about it. Take the advice shut it. I was over there in 87. Met some scum Irish too... OK
I think I found the asshole of the group. I'm not here to start fights, but don't disrespect me. I hold respect to everyone here especially the legionnaires, I never claimed I knew everything, never said Irish was the best army. So what's your whole point? Where were you?
I don't understand these comments and I don't really want you to reply to me as I only see a fight coming and I don't want to embarrass myself in front of some people that I may potentially work with in the future.

Well you should be aware than in most Army, (i guess in some of the FFL regiments too) most of the time the Order of the Day will be a monotone task. In fact one of the most common thing you will have to do is Guard duty and it is extremly boring if you are looking for "action".

In fact a have friend (American) he did 3 tour of dutys, one with the US Army and two with the USMC. He did them during the most active part of the conflict between 2005-2010, his last tour was as a gunner on an M1A2 and he was really bored most of the time, lucky for him he had a internet connection (slow but good enough for MSN Messenger).

Anyway, here you have a list of deployments for the FFL in 2018

https://foreignlegion.info/2018/03/29/foreign-legion-overseas-deployments-2018/

Also just a simple word of advices, once you leave your country and meet with different people, just don't bring old wounds up. If the war/conflict is over just bury the hatchet. It will help you to meet new people.

Yes 100% agree. I know that a lot of it is training and crappy tasks and boring stuff and like 5% is action, but I dont mind that.

The thing is, the Irish Army is 95% boring tasks and training, and 5% on some border with binoculars with a UN blue helmet on.

Also I have enough sense not to strike up a few enemies over what happened in our countries. I would never do that but I had to state why I would never join the British. If I left it blank everyone would be asking "why not join the British".. Im not here to lie!

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I think I found the asshole of the group. I'm not here to start fights, but don't disrespect me. I hold respect to everyone here especially the legionnaires, I never claimed I knew everything, never said Irish was the best army. So what's your whole point? Where were you?
I don't understand these comments and I don't really want you to reply to me as I only see a fight coming and I don't want to embarass myself in front of some people that I may potentially work with in the future.
You have already embarassed yourself Young un…. & opened your mouth before thinking. If you were an older guy who was in the Troubles I would just ignore your comments but some kid like you Talking About Things that happened while you were in your Daddy's sac ? Anyway move on. My last comment because I am only here for Maybe banter.

ALX

Reaction score
Home Country
Ireland
You have already embarassed yourself Young un…. & opened your mouth before thinking. If you were an older guy who was in the Troubles I would just ignore your comments but some kid like you Talking About Things that happened while you were in your Daddy's sac ? Anyway move on. My last comment because I am only here for Maybe banter.
Your own Queen acknowledged what happened. Why can't you? Anyone coming to my country with that mouth wouldn't leave. I don't need to be alive to know what happened. Knowledge is power and it seems you don't have that about this situation. You have a very biased opinion.
What happened happened, don't deny it, but move on. I understand you are here for the piss take, but I am not. Don't reply to me if you just want a fight, I know what I know and your crying isn't going to change my opinion OR my country's history.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
ALX,

27th August 1979 Warren point massacre. 2 explosions first killing Paras. Second killing QRF from the Queen's Own Highlanders. My good friend and Pln member at Mons OCS in 1958 was there. He was Lt. Col. David Blair, commanding officer QOH. Body parts everywhere. All that was found of him were his epaulettes. May he with the others RIP. (Eighteen killed six wounded/maimed.)

I have seen conflict in many places and as I wrote previously, often both sides in Ireland acted egregiously.

But with your mindset do not join the British Armed Forces. I do however understand your sense of injustice. Hopefully with maturity it will abate.

Kind regards- Chas.

Last edited:

GSP

Reaction score
Home Country
Argentina
I would never join the British. If I left it blank everyone would be asking "why not join the British".. Im not here to lie!
What if, the one doing the interview is British?For what a i have read from some youg greens, there are a few british doing interviews . Would you told him that???

ALX

Reaction score
Home Country
Ireland
What if, the one doing the interview is British?For what a i have read from some youg greens, there are a few british doing interviews . Would you told him that???
Already addressed this question twice

ALX,

27th August 1979 Warren point massacre. 2 explosions first killing Paras. Second killing QRF from the Queen's Own Highlanders. My good friend and Pln member at Mons OCS in 1958 was there. He was Lt. Col. David Blair, commanding officer QOH. Body parts everywhere. All that was found of him were his epaulettes. May he with the others RIP. (Eighteen killed six wounded/maimed.)

I have seen conflict in many places and as I wrote previously, often both sides in Ireland acted egregiously.

But with your mindset do not join the British Armed Forces. I do however understand your sense of injustice. Hopefully with maturity it will abate.

Kind regards- Chas.
Sorry about your friends.

1920 Bloody Sunday - British armoured vehicle opens fire on unarmed civilians in a football match in Croke Park

1972 Bloody Sunday - British open fire on unarmed civilians

1912 - 1922 - Black and Tans (Royal Irish Constabulary Reserve) execute Irish for being Catholic and not Protestant, raid houses, steal, rape and murder..(sounds the same as what they done in almost every other country)

1916 - Shelled the city of Dublin to rubble and obviously killings civilians in the process.

Enforcement on Irish prior to 1912 - Citizens not allowed to speak Irish or practice Catholicism. Catholics not allowed an education.

The Great Famine - During a massive famine, with barely any food in the country, the British EXPORTED food to England.

There is much much more than this, don't dare deny what happened in my country. Your leader acknowledged it, your government acknowledged it, it is public history that students are taught in schools. I don't want to talk about this any more. I am here to learn about the Legion nothing more nothing less.

SnafuSmite

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
Seriously this shit is in the past, if we all keep pointing fingers at all the historical backdrops and whatever causes we'll never get along. If we had to starting pointing fingers at what we've done to each other over the years nothing would get done.
From a neutral perspective I think we should change the topic, this is not going anywhere good and to quote Voltigeur, is in danger of becoming a "coffee clutch."

Last edited:
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
(...) I don't want to talk about this any more. I am here to learn about the Legion nothing more nothing less.
Good, then start learning about the Foreign Legion and let sleeping dogs lie. So far you have seen little and the troubles ended before you were even born. This is fortunately a democratic forum and despite the disparity of our ages we are all equal.

Je pense, mon petit, que vous avez une folie des grandeurs, quelle sottise.
Pour moi, maintenant c'est fini ! Allez jouer.

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Ok, for one I have had enough of this Catholic crap. The Legion is a multi-cultural army, we learn to shelf our personal beliefs on duty (off, well I would probably crack your nut open) or better still not drink with you. Come on Mod’s shut this one down as this is none productive and even Ireland has moved on (the majority) difference is some of us have lived through the troubles and lost friends and muckers! So stick your history where the sun don’t shine!

ALX

Reaction score
Home Country
Ireland
Ok, for one I have had enough of this Catholic crap. The Legion is a multi-cultural army, we learn to shelf our personal beliefs on duty (off, well I would probably crack your nut open) or better still not drink with you. Come on Mod’s shut this one down as this is none productive and even Ireland has moved on (the majority) difference is some of us have lived through the troubles and lost friends and muckers! So stick your history where the sun don’t shine!
I think I know what Ireland feels. Don't need you to tell me, an Irish person. I wouldn't drink with you either mate if it makes you feel better. Secondly, I have said I don't want to talk about this history, I have asked to stop it about 5 times, and I was under the impression that you could understand that but obviously not.

I. Do. Not. Want. To. Speak. About. This. Anymore.

I can draw pictures too if you like.

Just because I hold the same opinion as the majority of Ireland, doesn't mean I am a racist, asshole. I don't care about skin color or religion so when you say stick that Catholic crap up your ass, it makes you look like the racist.

@Joseph Cosgrove as you can see in multiple messages I said to please stop talking about this Ireland v Britain. I am here to learn about the Legion, I already know all that is to be known about Irish history. Can you please shut this down, this is exactly what I didn't want to happen.

Thanks for all informative answers, I really appreciate it and I hold all current and former legionnaires with a very high respect.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Joseph,

Please assist the young Gentleman and close this topic. After all,in his own words; " I already know ALL that is to be known about Irish history." That is not the object of this thread. Please now revert to his espoused idea of joining the FFL. Let him start afresh. He can also find many answers by browsing the forum and posts from Greens.

Last edited:

mark wake

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
ALX,

27th August 1979 Warren point massacre. 2 explosions first killing Paras. Second killing QRF from the Queen's Own Highlanders. My good friend and Pln member at Mons OCS in 1958 was there. He was Lt. Col. David Blair, commanding officer QOH. Body parts everywhere. All that was found of him were his epaulettes. May he with the others RIP (eighteen killed six wounded/maimed). (...)
Charles, many of us lost good mates over there. Between the British Army / Legion I have had my share too. The Way i deal with the hurt? Remember them when they were full of life. Sharing a beer/having a good laugh all the good things in life! As for politics / religion a wise man stays away from that. Thankfully the Legion doesn’t care who you are! Only what kind of legionnaire you will become! Be well mon ami.

ALX

Reaction score
Home Country
Ireland
Joseph,

Please assist the young Gentleman and close this topic. After all,in his own words; " I already know ALL that is to be known about Irish history." That is not the object of this thread. Please now revert to his espoused idea of joining the FFL. Let him start afresh. He can also find many answers by browsing the forum and posts from Greens.
Yes, thanks so much for repeating my request, appreciate it, also love the sarcasm, really, it's good to know that you at least understand SOMETHING about communication... I was worried after you blanked the ''Can we please stop talking about Irish history'' part.... You know, cause this is a FFL website....

I mean if it really offends you what my beliefs are, and since you are such a warrior, you can go over here to fight with the other few million who share my views...

www.boards.ie

Just say you wish Ireland was a part of the UK again and they will point you in the right direction...

As for everybody else who did not associate themselves with this absolute crap talk, I thank you sincerely, this has started off good, and ended with a pain in the ass. I am sorry for letting this get to this, and I am sorry for being truthful and not lying to any of you. There is a reason a lot of Irish don't join the British Army and they all share my views, or should I say, I share theirs.

Many thanks to the help, I'll see you all on other topics and hope it won't end up like this again... Cyaa

GuidoLovarini

Reaction score
Home Country
Scotland
Wouldnt be sorry mate ive seen threads go way offcourse for much less on here haha😂 fuck it. Get on with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.