Hi from Australia

Hi there, i am 22 yr old Australian bloke heading to the French Foreign Legion in 3 weeks time, stumbled across this forum site with plenty info and insights which has been great. Looking forward to signing up and sinking my teeth into everything the Legion stands for and has to offer. I am very excited and keen, the privilege and honour to be a legionnaire will be nothing short greatest thing I have ever done and will do. To all serving legionnaires and ex my deepest respect to you all, I hope to join you soon and be apart of the 1% of people in the world that have the balls to do something extraordinary. Any last minute advice would be awesome. Good luck to all those going to sign up! Cheers

Hi fellow Aussie... Great to see young Australians still have the fire in the belly to venture into the unknown in 2018. Make sure you are fit, ready to go. Travel light, any previous military service certificates take with you (photocopies). If you decide to go to Fort de Nogent, near Paris, let me know. A good Kiwi mate I served with has a bar in central Paris. Drop in, say hello to Rob and the staff (pm me for the address). All the best.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Hello Aussi 96. How long have you been in the back ground? I ask this to make sure that you have done all the preparations before hand. As Pink Floyd ( :ROFLMAO: gotta laugh at that handle) says, make sure that you are fit. If you can do the required pull-ups and Luc-Léger, I'd suggest that you concentrate your last couple of weeks of “freedom” (?) to stamina. Long runs.
Check out the things that you need to take such as good running shoes. Make sure that everything has your name on it.
Nowadays it's all spelled out clear, but it the days when Pink Floyd, Papillion, Le petit caporal, Scouse Arley, to name a few, it was literally heading into the (relatively) unknown. So make the most of the advice that you can groom on here and else where.
Best of luck.

Parlez-vous Français ? Bien ?

I'd give anything to be in your shoes. I still got a ways to go. Need to get several cavities filled and save the money.

Hello Aussi 96. How long have you been in the back ground? I ask this to make sure that you have done all the preparations before hand. As Pink Floyd ( :ROFLMAO: gotta laugh at that handle) says, make sure that you are fit. If you can do the required pull-ups and Luc-Léger, I'd suggest that you concentrate your last couple of weeks of “freedom” (?) to stamina. Long runs.
Check out the things that you need to take such as good running shoes. Make sure that everything has your name on it.
Nowadays it's all spelled out clear, but it the days when Pink Floyd, Papillion, Le petit caporal, Scouse Arley, to name a few, it was literally heading into the (relatively) unknown. So make the most of the advice that you can groom on here and else where.
Best of luck.
Gday Joe! Well I only just stumbled across this forum not sure how I didn’t come across it before as I have been preparing for 2 months and been looking up every video, documentary, sight but guess must have missed it. I really appreciate all your advice and agree that we are lucky there is plenty of info these days. I have been training my ass off 20 pull ups, 60-70 push ups straight, can run 2.7 km under 12 min, been doing pack marches since I was 15 (my father being ex military you can imagine my up bringing). Hoping this is enough, if not I am not a quitter and will push through all things thrown at me with %150 effort and determination. I know basic greetings in French and watching a lot of Legion videos picked up on words which I can recognise. So I believe I have prepared as much as I can in 2 months, have all the things I need and am basically just training until I go. All that’s left for me to do is grow a pair of nuts and crack on and go walk the talk in which I am super keen to do!

Hi fellow Aussie... Great to see young Australians still have the fire in the belly to venture into the unknown in 2018. Make sure you are fit, ready to go. Travel light, any previous military service certificates take with you (photocopies). If you decide to go to Fort de Nogent, near Paris, let me know. A good Kiwi mate I served with has a bar in central Paris. Drop in, say hello to Rob and the staff (pm me for the address). All the best.
Cheers Pink Floyd 😂 (love the name mate). I have 2 nights at a hotel in Paris to get over jet lag and get my compass straight A’s I have never traveled over seas, but if I have time would love to swing in perhaps before I enter for one last beer ;) haha. Cheers for your advice really appreciate it!

Parlez-vous Français ? Bien ?

I'd give anything to be in your shoes. I still got a ways to go. Need to get several cavities filled and save the money.
I don’t speak French well only know basic greetings and words. But none the less it won’t stop me going and will just have to learn as fast as I can when I am in. Good luck mate I wish you all the best!!

Aussie96,

Welcome to the forum and good luck in your adventure. Be fit, remain the Grey Man, obey all orders however mundane with alacrity and do not get into any confrontations.

Take Pink Floyd upon his ideas. Make contact with him since he had a distinguished career in the FFL.

No doubt you will have certain trepidation at joining with a step into the unknown. It is only natural. I did as a callow youth many years ago but I survived.

Chas trained by former WW2 Cdos.

Last edited:
Aussie96,

Welcome to the forum and good luck in your adventure. Be fit, remain the Grey Man, obey all orders however mundane with alacrity and do not get into any confrontations.

Take Pink Floyd upon his ideas. Make contact with him since he had a distinguished career in the FFL.

No doubt you will have certain trepidation at joining with a step into the unknown. It is only natural. I did as a callow youth many years a go but I survived.

Chas trained by former WW2 Cdos.
Gday Chas, Thankyou for your advice and for your welcome. As I said before have greatest respect for you men and all men serving. Looking forward to diving into the unknown and becoming part of the few. Cheers

Cheers Pink Floyd 😂 (love the name mate) I have 2 nights at a hotel in Paris to get over jet lag and get my compass straight A’s I have never travelled over seas, but if I have time would love to swing in perhaps before I enter for one last beer ;) haha. Cheers for your advice really appreciate it!
The Monument at Aubagne... Note Australia on the globe (my photo). Your objective is to get to France. It's a roll of the dice if you get accepted...

Attachments

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
http://foreignlegion.info/joining/

As for the 50 euros, don't worry about that. ALL the money you join with will be given back to you.

You HAVE TO take with you:

• all documents already stated above (ID card, …)
  • 3 T-shirts, 3 briefs and 3 pairs of socks
  • a pair of trainer/sneaker
  • about 10-50 euros
  • vanity case/toiletries:
    • soap/shower gel
    • razor + lather
    • toothbrush
    • toothpaste
    • bath towel
    • bath shoes/slippers The last one is flip flops, with your name clearly marked

http://foreignlegion.info/joining/

As for the 50 euros, don't worry about that. ALL the money you join with will be given back to you.

You HAVE TO take with you:

• all documents already stated above (ID card, …)
  • 3 T-shirts, 3 briefs and 3 pairs of socks
  • a pair of trainer/sneaker
  • about 10-50 euros
  • vanity case/toiletries:
    • soap/shower gel
    • razor + lather
    • toothbrush
    • toothpaste
    • bath towel
    • bath shoes/slippers The last one is flip flops, with your name clearly marked
Thankyou for your help, already have all those items packed an ready to go! Cheers for clearing up that part about the 50 euros was a bit unsure about that part but nonetheless was going to follow it anyways and rock up with 50 euros haha but cheers for your help and time :)

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
The Monument at Aubagne... Note Australia on the globe (my photo). Your objective is to get to France. It's a roll of the dice if you get accepted...
Does this monument have name or is it just Monument aux Morts ? It looks great. I saw, small table version of it also pretty nice.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Thankyou for your help, already have all those items packed an ready to go! Cheers for clearing up that part about the 50 euros was a bit unsure about that part but nonetheless was going to follow it anyways and rock up with 50 euros haha but cheers for your help and time :)
You can take more than that with you, nobody will make problem with that. Just don't bring couple thousands because they may think that you don't need FFL.

Keep us informed with you story.

Hi Aussie and welcome
You seem to be motivated enougth
Fit enougth to pass the tests but not to be taken for granted
Has been said, travel light and not too much dosh. ..but !
Plan B., is? In case things go sour grapes
50 euros won't get you far
If you try to join in Paris and are sent on to Aubange = a train tkt back to Paris you will be given in case of rejection
You will also be paid for the time you spent during your attempt (some where between 35 and 50 euros per day, approx) Money is too tight to mention
My advice is this
A pre paid cash card (you define your amount)
Placed in a sealed enveloppe
Just before presenting your self at FdN...confied it to some one you can trust (maybe Pink Floyd s Kiwi buddy, with out the code of course)
In case of rejection, you pick up the sealed enveloppe and card
In case of acceptance. .first leave you recieve, you can collect it and piss it up in the Kiwis bar. .or have him to post it to you in your regiment
Just a thought

Last edited:

DCLXVI

Legionnaire
Hi there, i am 22 yr old Australian bloke heading to the French Foreign Legion in 3 weeks time, stumbled across this forum site with plenty info and insights which has been great. Looking forward to signing up and sinking my teeth into everything the Legion stands for and has to offer. I am very excited and keen, the privilege and honour to be a legionnaire will be nothing short greatest thing I have ever done and will do. To all serving legionnaires and ex my deepest respect to you all, I hope to join you soon and be apart of the 1% of people in the world that have the balls to do something extraordinary. Any last minute advice would be awesome. Good luck to all those going to sign up! Cheers
Hey mate, PLEASE private message me, I have some very good shit to tell you in private message. I cant help you, if you dont message me. See you in three weeks..

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
I can confirm that the kiwi in question is sound. Also, just taking along your credit card. If you get in, then you can say goodbye to that as you won't get it back until you have left. And of course it will be expired. However, if you don;t get in then you still need to get home. The CB and any money you join with will be given back.

As for the fitness, you have what it takes to get in. BUT, once you are in, you can expect long runs, climbing ropes, squats, sit ups et j'en passe. Get in some kilometers before going. You will have an 8 kilometer test while you are in Castel. . All tests are trained up for. This is in full kit with rucksack. It has to be done in under 1 hour.

Everyone concentrates on the 12 minutes in sports kit. Or the Luc legere. And then all of a sudden it's minimum 5 Kms warm up and then press ups, sit ups and rope climbing. You cannot now say that you weren't warned.

Think he will do more than 1, 8 km T.A.P. run
Needs to be said also
Once at Castel
Exams / tests are done towards the end of Instruction / training. .but every thing counts for your global note...evry thing !
8 kms combat runs
Marches
Swimming
Cord / rope
Pull ups
Obstacle course (done at least a half a dozen times in the 4 months)
French, even that
Uniform and presentation
Behaviour, etc
Scrutinised under a micro scope
How well you do in Instruction, will influence your future carear, good or bad and it's up to you to prove your self
Finished are the days of the free loaders

Travel light...medium size backpack is the go. A good pair of runners, flip-flops for the shower, and a durable sports watch you can wear 24/7 are a must. Be aware that Europe is starting to get cold this time of the year. Take a pocket French dictionary...write down your passport number on the inside. It will help knowing that number if you want to get a temporary passport from the Oz embassy in Paris to travel on your leave.

Last edited:

USMCRET

Welcome and I wish you well. Be prepared and realize what Boot Camp/Basic Training is all about. Tedious attention to detail, physical training, hours upon hours of drill, and discipline. Give them every reason to accept you when you present yourself. If I were you I would PM DCLXVI.

Ex-Pongo

Hyper Active Member
You seem to have your head screwed on right. I predict good things for you.

BTW, for what it's worth, take a walk and grab a couple of beers in Paris. Place is hoachin with fanny and at a fit, 22 year old lad with an Aussie accent will do well to meet the Local Talent. Consider it a diplomatic visit :D
Either way, good luck and embrace this.

Most viewed threads of the week