Hi from Australia

You seem to have your head screwed on right. I predict good things for you.

BTW, for what it's worth, take a walk and grab a couple of beers in Paris. Place is hoachin with fanny and at a fit, 22 year old lad with an Aussie accent will do well to meet the Local Talent. Consider it a diplomatic visit :D
Either way, good luck and embrace this.

LOL local talent. What about southern USA accent? Does the talent like country folks? Because I sound a lot like John Wayne I reckon

Aussie 96, Fort De Nogent, Paris. This is where it will start for you. Passport will be the first word you will hear...and I believe you will be asked to do some chin-ups (heaves) by a blood shot eyed C/Chef.
Very keen to start and those gates i can not wait to walkthrough, literally counting down the days now...

You seem to have your head screwed on right. I predict good things for you.

BTW, for what it's worth, take a walk and grab a couple of beers in Paris. Place is hoachin with fanny and at a fit, 22 year old lad with an Aussie accent will do well to meet the Local Talent. Consider it a diplomatic visit :D
Either way, good luck and embrace this.
Haha cheers for the advice mate! Will definitely have one last drink before I enter! Can not wait counting down the days to finally get on with it.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Since you first posted, last Thursday, you have had 300 views and 26 -27 replies with this one. How motivating is the ! It seems that a lot of people are gunning for you. I know that you won't let us down.

Since you first posted, last Thursday, you have had 300 views and 26 -27 replies with this one. How motivating is the ! It seems that a lot of people are gunning for you. I know that you won't let us down.
Absolutely, I appreciate all the support I have gathered from this forum! I had no idea so many people would actually reply and give me advice, very helpful for a young bloke trying to make his way into the unknown! I won’t let you guys down! I want this more than anything... I am very determined and have my mind set on doing everything thing I can to achieve this! Cheers to all you guys for taking the time out of your day giving a young Aussie a heads up on what’s to come😎

Good luck mate! You will have a killer of a time in the Legion, everyone there loves Australians. Although it will get a bit lonely as you will most likely be the only Australian, and with next to no English, Americans or Kiwis you will slowly start to go insane from all the Russian/Ukrainian and Spanish speakers!
The Legion can be a bitch when you're in it but once you're out you miss it like hell so don't quit! People will try and scare you with exaggerated stories or guilt you into going back home because you're the 'privileged' Australian, screw em!
All I will say is good luck, don't lie, look up your name before you go and delete all your social media because you never know. Its a random little trick but if you learn the Code of Honour before going you will earn a lot of respect from your superiors and you get to sit back and laugh as everyone stumbles around, desperately trying to memorize it.
In closing, if you see a Caporal-Chef in Aubagne, known as the 'Russian Terminator', say hello to him for me. You can't miss him.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Hi Hans. Aussie96 hasn't got that long before he goes. I'm sure that he would appreciate any last minute advice from you as you are the last or should I say the latest person to have been to Aubagne. What's with the code of honor? Obviously I know what it is, but do the EVs have to recite it? Are they expected to copy it out?

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
and with next to no English, Americans or Kiwis you will slowly start to go insane from all the Russian/Ukrainian and Spanish speakers!
So learn French fast! actually hate that part of FFL where everyone distancing from everyone else who are not from their language group. OK language is obvious barrier, but there is more into it. It's hard for me to comprehend that some guys aren't comfortable with French even after 5y there.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
So learn French fast! actually hate that part of FFL where everyone distancing from everyone else who are not from their language group. OK language is obvious barrier, but there is more into it. It's hard for me to comprehend that some guys aren't comfortable with French even after 5y there.
You'd be surprised Dusa, some people can finish until their retrait with getting by on the minimum.

You'd be surprised Dusa, some people can finish until their retrait with getting by on the minimum.
how does that work say as a Cpl Chef or Brigadier Chef when you have a fire mission with fire discipline which is important. regardless if mortars or tanks. I mean fire discipline is the language of fire control. how do these guys get past it? or are they in other jobs?

Hi Hans. Aussie96 hasn't got that long before he goes. I'm sure that he would appreciate any last minute advice from you as you are the last or should I say the latest person to have been to Aubagne. What's with the code of honor? Obviously I know what it is, but do the EVs have to recite it? Are they expected to copy it out?
You are expected to know it by the end of your week as Rouge, if you haven't then you will probably get screwed in Castel. You don't need to copy it out, but you will need to be able to speak it off by heart and the Caporal-Chef should be able to understand it. The whole thing is not really official, the Caporal-Chef will line everyone up in the Foyer on your first Monday as Rouge and go through each person individually, you've only had 2 days to learn it so everyone messes it up and you will get punished. He will then spend the rest of the week grinding down on the guys who haven't learnt it.
I learnt the Code weeks before I showed up, I was the only non-French speaker to recite it to the end and I noticed the Caporal-Chef treated me a lot different from that point on, for one example he would give me some of his food when we where eating, just me and nobody else.

mark wake

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Aussie 96, Fort De Nogent, Paris. This is where it will start for you. Passport will be the first word you will hear...and I believe you will be asked to do some chin-ups (heaves) by a blood shot eyed C/Chef.
Let him have a few beers first mate. Being an Aussie i have a feeling he will do well!

Most viewed threads of the week