a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HK-416

Katalmach

Donator
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Haven't seen too many threads on the rifle. I know the forum is way more focused on physical preparation and learning French than talking about Legion equipment, but this rifle is just so damn cool. The US Marine Corps is making a concerted effort to replace all M4s and all M16s with M27s which is an open bolt, heavy barrel (18" barrel) version of the 416.

As a gun nut American, I am absolutely obsessed with this rifle. I wish more NATO forces would adopt it. The rifle is such high quality I believe its use can save lives on the battlefield because it absolutely refuses the jam, it's laser accurate, and the recoil is next to nothing.

I found some cool videos recently about it, and wanted to share for any fellow gun nuts. You Anciens who served with The Bugle definitely need to go to a shooting club and try one of these out, they are wicked cool

SnafuSmite

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
France selects new service rifle is the threads name with all the info you need or want;). Ive never fired a 416 but I have fired a MR762 which is a civvy version of the 417 the 7.62 variant which is a beaut and a beast:love:. Surfguy is another gun nut on the forum.

Katalmach

Donator
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
France selects new service rifle is the threads name with all the info you need or want;). Ive never fired a 416 but I have fired a MR762 which is a civvy version of the 417 the 7.62 variant which is a beaut and a beast:love:. Surfguy is another gun nut on the forum.

Oh yeah man, I knew we had all discussed the rifle, but I wanted to share some fancy videos about it so everyone could see it up close, especially for those new people coming in who might think the FAMAS is still in use. I think by now the FAMAS is probably all gone and done with. And it's about time, that platform was starting to show its age

If I make it in, I have a few combat arms friends here in the States who are going to be MIGHTY jealous that I get to carry one. And I have a 75th Ranger Regiment friend who is quite peeved that the Rangers are using the Mk16 Mod 0 these days. It's an overpriced piece of crap, so I hear

Surfguy! Get in here and talk about guns with us!

Countdown

Reaction score
Home Country
Norway
I was issued the HK416. When i got it, it came straight from the factory. What a change from the old and well-used G3´s. Absolutely loved the 416.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
It will be to your advantage to learn both the HK416 and the FAMAS. Some regiments (sapeur pompiers?) are still using MAS 36s. As for all the Legion regiments being issued with the HK416, I'm not too sure about that.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Haven't seen too many threads on the rifle. I know the forum is way more focused on physical preparation and learning French than talking about Legion equipment, but this rifle is just so damn cool. The US Marine Corps is making a concerted effort to replace all M4s and all M16s with M27s which is an open bolt, heavy barrel (18" barrel) version of the 416.

As a gun nut American, I am absolutely obsessed with this rifle. I wish more NATO forces would adopt it. The rifle is such high quality I believe its use can save lives on the battlefield because it absolutely refuses the jam, it's laser accurate, and the recoil is next to nothing.

I found some cool videos recently about it, and wanted to share for any fellow gun nuts. You Anciens who served with The Bugle definitely need to go to a shooting club and try one of these out, they are wicked cool

In the first video, what is with the two wrist watches? In my opinion, at our level, you need to learn basics. If one is say a GPS, they are great while they work. Learning to find a direction from a basic wrist watch or two pieces of sticks in the ground, will always come in handy. Finding the North star or the southern cross at night will also come in handy (at night). And being able to find your position on a map by knowing how to take back bearings + a few simple rules -as sexpert pointed out "mag to grid get rid" which is the shortened version of mag to grid get rid, grid to mag add. If no-one knows what we are talking about, I'd learn the "00" version of orienteering before investing in a GPS.

There are weekend sporting events which can teach you how to find your way around. It means getting out doors and once you get a bit more proficient can be a good form of exercise.

It would surprise you how many times I have seen Sous-offs getting down from a VAB walking ten metres to take a compass bearing. The idea is that the mass of metal of the vehicle will affect the magnetic pull of the compass -and it will ! However if you take take the difference between ten metres away from the VAB, say +12 degrees (just an example) you know that there are + 12 degrees to add to your compass bearing while staying safe in the turret of your VAB.
When you think about it, do you think that the captain of the HMS Queen Elizabeth is going to row out in a wooden boat to get a compass bearing?:rolleyes: Of course not. OK not such a good example as there will be computers to do all that kind of stuff.
G2M+ M2G rid... Got to go, I'll get back later.

Katalmach

Donator
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Joe,

The guy in the first video is US Air Force special forces, formerly a SERE instructor. He's extremely talented at land and night navigation, I'm sure he could do it without any tools at all

As for 416, I know 13 DBLE entirely has them. That is the word, anyway

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
France to give 1400 Kalachnikovs to R.C.A. , (Republic Central Africa)
+ 28 million euros

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
I'd Heard on the news that they were going to give them weapons, but they didn't mention which type. They said that there was no point in training them (he French army- Congolese) without supplying them. Sexpert, does it matter where they get them from :rolleyes: I can give you a clue, the same place as the millions of euros.
The News also said that it was to re-win their favor against the Russians and Chinese.
Didn't the Eagles sing'Johnny come lately, there's a new kid in town'

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
In the first video, what is with the two wrist watches? In my opinion, at our level, you need to learn basics. If one is say a GPS, they are great while they work. Learning to find a direction from a basic wrist watch or two pieces of sticks in the ground, will always come in handy. Finding the North star or the southern cross at night will also come in handy (at night). And being able to find your position on a map by knowing how to take back bearings + a few simple rules -as sexpert pointed out "mag to grid get rid" which is the shortened version of mag to grid get rid, grid to mag add. If no-one knows what we are talking about, I'd learn the "00" version of orienteering before investing in a GPS.

There are weekend sporting events which can teach you how to find your way around. It means getting out doors and once you get a bit more proficient can be a good form of exercise.

It would surprise you how many times I have seen Sous-offs getting down from a VAB walking ten metres to take a compass bearing. The idea is that the mass of metal of the vehicle will affect the magnetic pull of the compass -and it will ! However if you take take the difference between ten metres away from the VAB, say +12 degrees (just an example) you know that there are + 12 degrees to add to your compass bearing while staying safe in the turret of your VAB.
When you think about it, do you think that the captain of the HMS Queen Elizabeth is going to row out in a wooden boat to get a compass bearing?:rolleyes: Of course not. OK not such a good example as there will be computers to do all that kind of stuff.
G2M+ M2G rid... Got to go, I'll get back later.
I was going to go into detail about how an ordinance survey map has three north's, Grid, True and Magnetic. and then explain that the year the map was printed and the Magnetic variation at the time can play a role on the actual compass bearing on the ground today.

However, to quote Le petit caporal, in today's Legion the norm is:
Azimut brutal, if not, nowt ! Which translated from Legion French to Jock to English means straight ahead regardless of obstacles.

Last edited by a moderator:

SnafuSmite

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
I was going to go into detail about how an ordinance Survey map has three norths, Grid, True and magnetic. and then explain that the year the map was printed and the Magnetic variation at the time can play a role on the actual compass bearing on the ground today.

However, to quote le petit caporal, in today's legion the Norm is:
Azimut brutal, if not, nowt ! Which translated from Legion French to Jock to English means straight ahead regardless of obstacles.
Magnetic declination if I remember well enough .

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Where'd they even get the AKs?
The AKs were seized by the Marine Nationale (French Navy). France is trying desperately to win back their influence in CAR (Central African Republic) now challenged by the Russians. Said it before, elsewhere. Third World countries can shop around elsewhere if they want, it's a buyers market.

GSP

Reaction score
Home Country
Argentina
The rifle is such high quality I believe its use can save lives on the battlefield because it absolutely refuses the jam, it's laser accurate, and the recoil is next to nothing.

Military gun contracts are mostly Political matters... They don't buy the best or the better gear for their troops. But what's more Political convenient at the time...
Don't you find odd that a very nationalist Nation like France is buying German weapons?? Instead of designing and building a French rifle made by French hands???

About the weapon itself... well i don't drink anyones Kool-Aid.
What you are getting is pretty much an G36 upper reshaped to fit in an Ar15 lower, the short stroke gas piston is nothing new or wonderful... Most of the world was using short stroke gas piston rifles since earlys 40s..
Stoner went with a direct impingement, because reasons..
Like everything that's made by H&K is made overpriced for the civilian public with a fancy publicity that goes these lines
"HEY KID!!! THIS IS WHAT THE PROs USE!!! SO BUY THIS OVERPRICED CRAP, of course unless you are NOT A PRO BUT i BET YOU ARE PRO TOO!!!!! so buy now for only 4000 dollars"....
So a lot of people pays from 3000 to 4000 just for the Upper of an HK 416, to be the cool kid in the block, when they could get an upper that use the same system of short stroke piston from 700 to 1000 dollars.

a1b2c3

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Nations
HK417 or their civi equivalent is a nice weapon...only HK416 I've handled were those from French SF guys that were medevac'd and I was the only person around that knew how to unload them and make safe (circa 2010). Nice enough weapon, a bit heavy due to the piston. Prefer direct-impingement regular AR's myself if on that platform, not enough advantage for the piston vs extra weight.

M27 IAR is closed-bolt, not open-bolt like the Minimi/SAW that it replaces.

SnafuSmite

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
Military gun contracts are mostly Political matters... They don't buy the best or the better gear for their troops. But what's more Political convenient at the time...
Don't you find odd that a very nationalist Nation like France is buying German weapons?? Instead of designing and building a French rifle made by French hands???

About the weapon itself... well i don't drink anyones Kool-Aid.
What you are getting is pretty much an G36 upper reshaped to fit in an Ar15 lower, the short stroke gas piston is nothing new or wonderful... Most of the world was using short stroke gas piston rifles since earlys 40s..
Stoner went with a direct impingement, because reasons..
Like everything that's made by H&K is made overpriced for the civilian public with a fancy publicity that goes these lines
"HEY KID!!! THIS IS WHAT THE PROs USE!!! SO BUY THIS OVERPRICED CRAP, of course unless you are NOT A PRO BUT i BET YOU ARE PRO TOO!!!!! so buy now for only 4000 dollars"....
So a lot of people pays from 3000 to 4000 just for the Upper of an HK 416, to be the cool kid in the block, when they could get an upper that use the same system of short stroke piston from 700 to 1000 dollars.
I read an interesting article once about overpricing the civilian market, the US government pays $350 for a brand spanking new M4A1 from Remington or Colt and thats with bloated defence contract pricing. A civvy will pay around $1200 for an AR 15. I'm sure the French have made a deal with the Germans with the HK, I cannot see any country paying $4000 per service rifle. The yanks pay $10 000 for the CSASS kit from HK including optics and that is a highly modified version of the 417.

Surfguy

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I read an interesting article once about overpricing the civilian market, the US government pays $350 for a brand spanking new M4A1 from Remington or Colt and thats with bloated defence contract pricing. A civvy will pay around $1200 for an AR 15. I'm sure the French have made a deal with the Germans with the HK, I cannot see any country paying $4000 per service rifle. The yanks pay $10 000 for the CSASS kit from HK including optics and that is a highly modified version of the 417.
Would you want an M4 made by Remington?

a1b2c3

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Nations