How Buff Are The Chosen Candidates?

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Philippine
How heavily muscled are the ones chosen to go on as Legionnaires generally? I hear even those who look like professional bodybuilders get turned down.

jonny

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Norway
Well, I can’t speak for the current crops of wannabies, of course, but in my case I had a body that Arnulf Schwartsenegger would have been envious of, a face that would have made Elvis Presley look like an extra in the Hillbillies, and dancing steps that would have put Fred Adaire to shame. So I was accepted. Just go for it!

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
How heavily muscled are the ones chosen to go on as Legionnaires generally? I hear even those who look like professional bodybuilders get turned down.
Just don't go looking like jay cutler 😆

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Canada
To be selected it comes down to many factors.
In regard to your question, a lot of "heavy muscled" men have not a whole lot of stamina, which could be the reason for rejection.
Check up on the Luc-Leger test.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Yugoslavia
I think you didn't formulated questions right. Yes, legion prefer lean guys over bodybuilders because legion (or any modern army) men physical requirements are not really suited for muscular guys who need 30 egg whites, 2 kg of meat and coupled protein shakes (Im not even mention cocktail of chemicals that many of those guys take)

No one will reject you just because you are muscular. For some guys its natural state (like me :)). But none will accept you because of that neither

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Yugoslavia
To be selected it comes down to many factors.
In regard to your question, a lot of "heavy muscled" men have not a whole lot of stamina, which could be the reason for rejection.
Check up on the Luc-Leger test.
That's right. All that muscle spending lot of oxygen also you have to carry all of that wight. Not good for stamina

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
It’s whats inside that will make the difference never underestimate any person in life, recruiters get it wrong and right just like the rest of us.
This....

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
Lean, mean, green, killing machine. To be serious though racing snakes are preferable to bulked out muscle bound monsters.

Papillon is also 100% correct in his post.

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
Guy is probably a guy who has a bit of muscle, "Buff" is not looking like a hardcore bodybuilder. Knew a couple of muscled ptis in the army who could do the job.

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
This guy would be considered Buff.. Not huge but strong. Infact you can get buff doing chins, parallel Bar dips.

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
This would not be Buff for the Légion 😄

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Vatican City State
I can answer this actually.

Aubagne main base;

The caporal-chefs that ran the administrative side and the cooks were all pretty chunky. Definitely still fit for their age (compared to civilians), but they have packed a few kilos.

Everyone else was slim or fit atleast. The patrol sentinels were fit, but the guards were putting on weight.

Outside of the main base, there were some soon retiring Legionnaires whom were extremely out of shape due to disability, old age, injury, ect.

There is a trophy room of the Legion in Aubagne. It has about a half dozen shelves stacked with cups, trophies, medals, statuettes, swords, plaques you name it of awards, with a board full of newspaper and magazine clippings of Legionnaires in marathons, strength competitions, boxing, cycling.

And was one Legionnaire who woke up in the morning then ran more than 30km (I recall it was 37k?).

He got back when we were working. Told us what he just did to our amazement.

Proceeded to mix himself some sports drink and spent around an hour deadlifting, tyre lifting, tyre smashing, and other intense activities. He was huge.

-

As for the candidates, there were all heights that passed.

But there was a pretty muscular and chunky short guy that did really good, and a slim and skinny tall bloke who towered over everyone.

It's all about preparation. There were candidates from 5'2 to 6'6 when I was there. They were skin and bones to strongfat monsters.

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
This thread Buff is like it belongs to some advertising on a gay magazine in WH Smith’s from the 70s this ain’t a wind up is it?
Well each to their own sometimes I think ignoring a thread and not engaging is more powerful we should be more selective on the questions and motivation behind them, well been winding me up for a bit now.

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
And to go right of course when we hit Paris after outer mere tour Duran Duran we’re doing the James Bond film and at night drinking and parting in Cactus Charlie’s and their hotel mad 10 days I will have to do a bit of memory digging but once checked my facts I will share it or not!