a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

QUESTION How many times can you try and what are the intervals between discharges?

Reaction score
Home Country
Brazil
My question is pretty much sumed up on the title. What types of discharges are there? How many times can you try? What is the wait time between discharges if you haven't been dumped permanently? Thanks for your answers.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
That's not a bad question Wolffen, but not an easy one to answer.
What types of discharges are there?
By that I think you mean what types of refusal are there? Discharge means that you are already in and have signed a contract. There are two types of 'inapt' definitive and temporary.
Definitive can be for several reasons and sometimes the candidate does not even know (although he may suspect why) such as fighting, medical, psychological, bad attitude or quite simply because the cadre do not believe that he will ever fit in.
Temporary will depend on what needs fixing. Attitude for example, if they think that you have turned up with the wrong attitude, they may give you anything from 3 months to a year. Attitude can also include that they consider you too immature - if you have lived with your parents never had a proper job and spend all your free time playing play station, they may say come back in a year. The idea is that you will get some real life experience.

Medical. Can be anything from; go and get your fillings sorted out and come back then. Which is why everyone is told to get there teeth sorted before joining. It will cost you a lot less to have any fillings taken care of in your own country than in France. Because in France you will have to find a dentist and make an appointment. That means getting a hotel and eating. the average price per filling in France is around 20 euros. The hotel, you're looking at 50-60 min. if you know where to look.
Or they may need a complimentary medical exam, heart check or x-ray etc.
Not fit enough - my favorite. In spite of being told what the minimum requirements are and advised to train to do more, there are still some who turn up and are told to come back in 3 months when they can do at least 7 pullups :oops::love:
As for how many times you can try, officially it is 3 times max.

Reaction score
Home Country
Brazil
That's not a bad question Wolffen, but not an easy one to answer.

By that I think you mean what types of refusal are there? Discharge means that you are already in and have signed a contract. There are two types of 'inapt' definitive and temporary.
Definitive can be for several reasons and sometimes the candidate does not even know (although he may suspect why) such as fighting, medical, psychological, bad attitude or quite simply because the cadre do not believe that he will ever fit in.
Temporary will depend on what needs fixing. Attitude for example, if they think that you have turned up with the wrong attitude, they may give you anything from 3 months to a year. Attitude can also include that they consider you too immature - if you have lived with your parents never had a proper job and spend all your free time playing play station, they may say come back in a year. The idea is that you will get some real life experience.

Medical. Can be anything from; go and get your fillings sorted out and come back then. Which is why everyone is told to get there teeth sorted before joining. It will cost you a lot less to have any fillings taken care of in your own country than in France. Because in France you will have to find a dentist and make an appointment. That means getting a hotel and eating. the average price per filling in France is around 20 euros. The hotel, you're looking at 50-60 min. if you know where to look.
Or they may need a complimentary medical exam, heart check or x-ray etc.
Not fit enough - my favorite. In spite of being told what the minimum requirements are and advised to train to do more, there are still some who turn up and are told to come back in 3 months when they can do at least 7 pullups :oops::love:
As for how many times you can try, officially it is 3 times max.

Hey Joseph, thanks for helping me out, that really clears somethings out. Yes, i meant refusal, didn't know the difference between those two. Regarding the official 3 times max, there is this video (it's a brazilian legionnaire) where he says he knows a guy who tried 5 or 6 times and finally made into his regiment on his last try. You think that's still a thing?

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
I'm not sure. I'd say that it all depended on whether they were noted in the computer. For example, did they get to the gate and told to do 7 pullups, not make it and told to come back.
5 or 6 times does seem a bit too much, especially as there is no shortage of recruits. I mean 2 times and then getting accepted on your third attempt is quite an achievement, we used to have one on here.

Reaction score
Home Country
Brazil
I'm not sure. I'd say that it all depended on whether they were noted in the computer. For example, did they get to the gate and told to do 7 pullups, not make it and told to come back.
5 or 6 times does seem a bit too much, especially as there is no shortage of recruits. I mean 2 times and then getting accepted on your third attempt is quite an achievement, we used to have one on here.

Do you think the Legion keeps all of a recruit's information/motivation if he gets to a certain part when he first tries and that's how they select him (or not) later when he returns?

Pink Floyd

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Australia
Gentlemen, if you’ve been a ‘couch potato’ screaming at your mum for the first 20 years of your life, or you’re the celebrated ‘Master Dark Assassin’ on Zombie Nation, it will mean **** all when you knock on the big gate in Paris or Aubagne. Fitness, fitness, fitness, fitness!. I hope some of you can fathom the big picture. The vast majority try once for the Legion. If they get knocked back...that’s it, game over.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Home Country
Brazil
Gentlemen, if you’ve been a ‘couch potato’ screaming at your mum for the first 20 years of your life, or you’re the celebrated ‘Master Dark Assassin’ on Zombie Nation, it will mean **** all when you knock on the big gate in Paris or Aubagne. Fitness, fitness, fitness, fitness!. I hope some of you can fathom the big picture. The vast majority try once for the Legion. If they get knocked back...that’s it, game over.

Makes sense to me! I'll be starting my training this week. Decided i'll go in 2021, after i'm done with the eye surgery and have waited the necessary 1 year requested by the Legion. Until then, i'll train everyday and stick with my job.

Reaction score
Home Country
Brazil
Which is?

I'll be looking into manual transport inside supermarkets, it an easy enough job to find, employees usually stay for as long as they want if they're working well, it pays better than construction working and you lift/move around approx. 600kgs everyday. Will be a good addition to my training.

Sohito

Reaction score
Home Country
Poland
what is manual transport inside supermarkets? Unloading what comes to supermarket, then putting it around the store?

Reaction score
Home Country
Brazil
what is manual transport inside supermarkets? Unloading what comes to supermarket, then putting it around the store?

Truck comes with merchandise and you gotta carry the boxes or push them (if it's a lot) to the storeroom. Such employee moves around 600 and sometimes even 1ton of weight a day. It will be a good addition to the resistance training i'll be doing in the morning.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Quite simply because although you will be moving merchandise around the store, it will be on a pallet transporter. You have got to impress the recruiters, I'm not saying that there are second class jobs, what I am saying is that you are going to the legion, you might as well get used to working out doors.
Of course the decision is yours, we're only trying to give you advice on what we would do, if we had a couple of years to spare before going.

Reaction score
Home Country
England
Quite simply because although you will be moving merchandise around the store, it will be on a pallet transporter. You have got to impress the recruiters, I'm not saying that there are second class jobs, what I am saying is that you are going to the legion, you might as well get used to working out doors.
Of course the decision is yours, we're only trying to give you advice on what we would do, if we had a couple of years to spare before going.

Are there any previous jobs that are looked upon favourably? I am thinking if I try to join as soon as I have left sixth form in June they may reject me due to lack of life experience as mentioned in your post a few posts up. I have had a saturday job for 2 years in a restaurant but that was just cleaning dishes 8-5. I was hoping to be at the legions gates by 18, but would it be better to push this to 19 in order to gain life experience?

Thanks

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Are there any previous jobs that are looked upon favourably? I am thinking if I try to join as soon as I have left sixth form in June they may reject me due to lack of life experience as mentioned in your post a few posts up. I have had a saturday job for 2 years in a restaurant but that was just cleaning dishes 8-5. I was hoping to be at the legions gates by 18, but would it be better to push this to 19 in order to gain life experience?

Thanks
If you can, get a physically demanding job. 18 is young, bro, they may want you to have more experience. On the other side of the coin, 18 is adaptable, motivated, and very very moldable. Give it your best shot!

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
What’s wrong with just being yourself! In saying that plenty of guys on here joined the military at an early age I was 16 in the UK if it’s in your blood and the forces are part of your DNA then get fit learn a bit of French and go bang on the door I just don’t see age a problem but I will add not read all the thread I just steam in with my opinion now and again.

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Truck comes with merchandise and you gotta carry the boxes or push them (if it's a lot) to the storeroom. Such employee moves around 600 and sometimes even 1ton of weight a day. It will be a good addition to the resistance training i'll be doing in the morning.
Who washes your sheets?