a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How much will I have after 5 years?

Reaction score
Home Country
Croatia
Hi I'm Jakob and I'm from Croatia. I'm 25. Next year I would like to join the FFL. If I get accepted and everything goes right I will stay at least 5 years. I'm curious how much money would I be able to save if I don't buy unnecessary things. Correct me if I am wrong but could I save up at least 50k-60k€ in 5 years. Don't get me wrong I'm not joining because of money. But I really don't want to get back in Croatia and still live with my parents. Thanks in advance.

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Depends on if you save or if you party as for exact wages that would depend on deployment regiment and other factors so sorry can’t answer your question.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Some guys are very strict savers and some are like I joked with you about, all of their money went to hookers, strippers, and alcohol
And smokes. God bless the infantry.

Hi Im Jakob and I'm from Croatia. I'm 25. Next year I would like to join the FFL. If I get exepted and everything goes right I will stay at least 5 years. I'm curious how much money would I be able to save if I don't buy unecessery things. Correct me if I am wrong but could I save up at least 50k-60k€ in 5 years. Don't get me wrong I'm not joining because of money. But I really don't want to get back in Croatia and still live with my parents. Thanks in advance.
After each paycheck, set aside a small portion for your play money, small bit for extra kit or items for work, and put the rest in savings. When you go out and spend money, only use cash. Swiping cards is what makes people broke. 20 in bank account and 20 in hand have two different feelings trust me.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Zdravo Jakobe.

Hmm 50k ...not impossible, but it's really hard to save that much.

If I get accepted I would be happy if I don't have any debt on that when I got released. :)

Crawdad

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Some guys are very strict savers and some are like I joked with you about, all of their money went to hookers, strippers, and alcohol
This is true.

Korea was my first duty station. Some genius at HRC figured that was the best place to send a bright-eyed, wet-behind-the ears 18 year old kid with $2500 burning a hole in his pocket. Now, back then base pay was just over a grand a month, and Korea being considered a Hardship assignment, we got an extra $150 a month. Seeing as I had no bills, I should have been able to save at least 10 grand in my year there.

That... did not happen. Came home with -$39 in the bank. Had a grand ol' time, though.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
This is true.

Korea was my first duty station. Some genius at HRC figured that was the best place to send a bright-eyed, wet-behind-the ears 18 year old kid with $2500 burning a hole in his pocket. Now, back then base pay was just over a grand a month, and Korea being considered a Hardship assignment, we got an extra $150 a month. Seeing as I had no bills, I should have been able to save at least 10 grand in my year there.

That... did not happen. Came home with -$39 in the bank. Had a grand ol' time, though.
Had I been to Korea, I would have done exactly the same, but also as a father 😂😂

Reaction score
Home Country
Vietnam
it is possible of course if you can cut off spending on unnecessary stuff:
-prostitutes
-alcohol
-cigars
-gamble
-junk food in canteen (if there is any of them exist since I have never joined so I dont know)
-phone cards to call family members and use internet...if you even have time for that
-electronic devices such as expensive laptops and phones
if you dont keep relationship with any family member or friend then its better, you dont need to send money back home for anyone, all for yourself, in the FFL's bank acc.
save the money for french books, dictionary, budget trip while on vacation through out France and learn about French life in case you want to be a French citizen in the future.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
it is possible of course if you can cut off spending on unnecessary stuff:
-prostitutes
-alcohol
-cigars
-gamble
-junk food in canteen (if there is any of them exist since I have never joined so I dont know)
-phone cards to call family members and use internet...if you even have time for that
-electronic devices such as expensive laptops and phones
if you dont keep relationship with any family member or friend then its better, you dont need to send money back home for anyone, all for yourself, in the FFL's bank acc.
save the money for french books, dictionary, budget trip while on vacation through out France and learn about French life in case you want to be a French citizen in the future.
You'll find out quick, friend 😂 EVERY soldier has at least one vice. That just comes with the lifestyle.

Yeah be strategic and save your money, but remember that you are human and you have one life. Every day counts, especially if you're a military man. Any day you could get the call to go jump in, drive in, or March somewhere, where the fight will be. No guarantees that you will survive 😁

Enjoy a beer, even if you buy a cheap one to save some bucks.

Reaction score
Home Country
Vietnam
You'll find out quick, friend 😂 EVERY soldier has at least one vice. That just comes with the lifestyle.

Yeah be strategic and save your money, but remember that you are human and you have one life. Every day counts, especially if you're a military man. Any day you could get the call to go jump in, drive in, or March somewhere, where the fight will be. No guarantees that you will survive 😁

Enjoy a beer, even if you buy a cheap one to save some bucks.
Yeah, I just noted down every way a person can save money, in my case I will save every penny while in the army but surely 100 percents I will have fun with a prostitute after leaving it.

SnafuSmite

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
Well minimum is around €1300 a month, opex you can get around €3000 a month. Not sure what terrain and vigi pay is. You've got next to no expenses(no rent, fuel, food)so the question is how much are you willing to save. Pack of smokes is around €10 and a beer in the foyer is around €1...do the math....

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Rich Kids one and all.

When I joined a Captain earned £700.00per annum.
As a young just promoted 'Shavetail' 2Lt. I was paid just under £4.00 per week.
When a Mne most of our pay had to cover our cleaning equipment and Friday pay day 'big eats' at a greasy spoon.
It took 8 years to make Cpl and 12 for Sgt. Promotion was desperately slow.
A Lt equated to an Army Captain and it was only in the 1990s' that ranks were equalised.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Chas, I don't see how I could afford my lifestyle if I was in back in those days

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Chas, I don't see how I could afford my lifestyle if I was in back in those days

Post WW2 - Rationing only ended in the early 1950s'. We were also paying back the US for Lend Lease. In fact it was only fully repaid when Margaret Thatcher was PM. Austerity was the watchword. Many good SNCOs' and junior NCOs' transferred to the RAF Regiment for rapidly enhanced promotion. With end of Empire postings there were other allowances, including hardship, as opposed to the UK rates I quoted.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Thus, enough for a drink and maybe after a few weeks saving, mama-san's personal touch 💪

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Thus, enough for a drink and maybe after a few weeks saving, mama-san's personal touch 💪

Mama -sans personal touch. Now that would be telling. Nevertheless the Royal Marines loved their Singers (Singapore) posting of 2 years. Malta was also excellent. 45 Cdo was banned for rioting and locking up the police in their own cells. Confined to ships in the days we had a Navy, Riot caused by Tiny the largest Maltese police officer beating up a Mne in the 'Gut' (Well known local brothel area) in a dispute over a woman. Rumour has and of course it is ? only rumour junior officers joined in taking their badges of rank off. YOs' would never do something like that.;)

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
This is true.

But you partied like a Rock Star!