a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to build up your Chin ups

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Now reading through the Training threads i have seen some good & some very negative comments. The Goal here should be to help People not sarcastic comments from 1 Person in particular. To start from Scratch we will look at two scenarios, the Guy who wants to join a Gym or the Home tainer Maybe on a small Budget, given that some Legion recruits are Young & from poor lands. My suggestions are as followed..

The Gym Trainer should work up to bodyweight chins & good form on the assisted machine. Now this is important...really lower on the NEGATIVE..lower on the downward movement as slow as possible. Studies have shown that the NEGATIVE Portion of a repatition is the most productive. Look at Mike Mentzer Training. Picture i will post of a typical machine.

The Home Trainer... Now i am a big fan of Bands. They can be very effective in many exercises giving you constant Tension as good as cables in the Gym if used properly. So get some bands off Ebay or what ever.. there are bands of various strengths. Bands are used by pros in Benches & Deadlifts so not for idiots. The Video below will tell you how. Work down to lower strength bands then eventually bodyweight with perfect form.

The Home Trainer who can´t afford Bands should put a stool under the chin bar help himself up with one leg (or Training Partner) then in the top Position LOWER SLOWLY ON THE NEGATIVE...you will Train all the muscles needed & will if you Train with intent reach full chins Positive & negative. So a Repetition is made up of two components. When you understand this then you can use the Negative to build strength.

body-solid-series-ii-s2acd-assisted-chin-dip-machine-2.jpg

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Sexpert man, where did you found YO ELLIOTT? :) He is crazy 100%. I know his channel for some time.

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
What about marginal games? If we are getting so in depth? Like no clothing as have you weighed your sport kit could be the difference between 6 or 7 reps!! Mind you they might look st you a bit strange if you de cloth and start hanging from a bar and throw you some 🍌🍌🍌
Or why not have a chin bar and punch bag hook every house I have had since returning From France I have had one! And at 60 I bet I could shock a few of you. Just get on with the basics and cut the crap

Attachments

• 7A3CA31C-E540-4B88-96C0-FADB69DA8C4F.jpeg
    7A3CA31C-E540-4B88-96C0-FADB69DA8C4F.jpeg
    242.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 686693AB-3E92-4284-B9B0-1FCC49FAE295.jpeg
    686693AB-3E92-4284-B9B0-1FCC49FAE295.jpeg
    414.4 KB · Views: 16
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Sexpert man, where did you found YO ELLIOTT? :) He is crazy 100%. I know his channel for some time.
yes i know his channel...LOL. I lke this Guy better. really Shows some great variations & explains why & how. Knowledge is key to Prevent Injuries.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
What about marginal games? If we are getting so in depth? Like no clothing as have you weighed your sport kit could be the difference between 6 or 7 reps!! Mind you they might look st you a bit strange if you de cloth and start hanging from a bar and throw you some 🍌🍌🍌
Or why not have a chin bar and punch bag hook every house I have had since returning From France I have had one! And at 60 I bet I could shock a few of you. Just get on with the basics and cut the crap

the idea my friend is "Progression". Maybe went way over your Head. I have met many Young People who lack upper Body strength. The struggle to even do 1 or 2 chin ups or any Variation of chin ups/pull ups.
Another example is a guy i knew who i went running with. He was a cardio warrior, Berlin Marathon,London...Triathlon. Had an expensive bike...etc. Infact he´s Living in Denmark now & at 64 is doing some crazy 100km walk/run. However his upper Body strength was terrible (how he managed the Swimming i am not sure). He couls hardly do 2 chins but running & Endurance he would put a lot of People on here to shame. He kicked my ass on the running & i helped him with weights.
It´s my Job to know & understand anatomy, i have trained many intelligent People such as a Female Doctor who was wanting to get in shape for a wedding...you see, you can´t just tell People you´re a lazy fat fuck get up & do 10 chins. You see i am used to dealing with People who come from every walk in life. you Need to get Progression but avoid injury. I know These Methods work. I have seen People working hard over a 3 month period & being able to chin / Dip like a king. THere are many factors to consider when working in a Gym. It´s like some overweight People don´t want to hear About Basic exercises to work large muscle Groups & god forbid the Treadmill..they will say when do we do AB Training ! I have seen & heard it all.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
another that sticks in my mind was a female psychologist i met...was Always trying to Analyse everything i said. Got on my nerves..she was single & i think 42 if i remember. very good Looking, nice car ..etc. One Day she came in very upset & told me she was Talking with a Patient (she worked in AKH Celle) & he had a heart attack in front of her & died. she could not handle it regardless of all her Psychology.... Here is the strange part. She now works for the Police.. go figure. yes i have met some strange People.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
another that sticks in my mind was a female .
Hmm. Who would guess that? :)

Athlean-x guy, yes he is good. I think guy is a doctor. Listening everything he saying is maybe bit overthinking for most regular people in gym.

Many guys those days know too much unnecessary things. Of course you have to know some basics before you hit the gym, but do you really have to know complete human anatomy in order to do workout?
Hate those smart ass type guys in gym. They know everything. :). What is best exercise, exact number of reps and sets, way for doing it, how eat, shit ... Many unnecessary things for non-professionals. Also many untruth things because not every system works for every human.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Hmm. Who would guess that? :)

Athlean-x guy, yes he is good. I think guy is a doctor. Listening everything he saying is maybe bit overthinking for most regular people in gym.

Many guys those days know too much unnecessary things. Of course you have to know some basics before you hit the gym, but do you really have to know complete human anatomy in order to do workout?
Hate those smart ass type guys in gym. They know everything. :). What is best exercise, exact number of reps and sets, way for doing it, how eat, shit ... Many unnecessary things for non-professionals. Also many untruth things because not every system works for every human.
yes..but how many older guys are running around today with injuries which they could have avoided if they learned more. How many Young guys do you see in the Gym who can pull a good weight on Deadlifts but have very Little back & Trap development. In the Military they don´t tell you on push ups you´re infact doing "Static holds" Holding the half way pont on a push up..etc, etc. People used to go into the Gym just lift heavy. Grinds your Joints away. What when you reach a sticking Point ? you can´t lift more then you have to look at Training principles to kick new growth for example pre-exhaust. sure for the Military you don´t Need to explain all this… but if you have a guy who can´t do pull ups or has an old injury you Need to Train smart. This is why i posted About Negatives..etc. anyway rant over ..don´t F§cking start me bro :ROFLMAO:on all this...no it´s not Bro science either… Jeff Cavalier in the Video i believe trained pro Baseball Players ..etc. knows some good stuff. Sure as you wrote not every exercise or Training worout is the same for everyone..you gotta find that out yourself. I prefer front squats for Quads...i like parallel bar Dips...I never incline press for chest, is my upper clavicle area lacking...NO.
Scan_20180414 (3) (1).png

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I had two tel conversations with the above Author Bob Kennedy. spoke About These Things. For a Young fit soldier it´s not a Problem but i have People with neck Problems Office Workers nearly Always C6/7 or People working with older People here the injuries to the lower back(Lumbar ) area etc repeat themselves. I was very fortunate when i was learning to have worked with a female Physio with tons of experience. OK all of this has Little to do with joining the Legion but my Point is Lifting a weight up & down for some aint rocket science but when you are working with many,many People who are Maybe not so fit you have to know what you are doing! you would be shocked how many Young People take medication, antidepressant drugs. I had a guy who had a herat attack at 39 who was on These drugs. The guy was mentally finished. not an overweight guy slim..looked fit too. No doubt Genetic.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Posture is a problem to be handed before, during and after active service. ..
very true.. i remember it was pointed out to me i had shortened chest muscles. Dumbbell Flys were actually not helping me...LOL but i then started to do a lot of "Face Pulls" to work my upper back area, rear delts,traps, Rhomboids. These muscles are also important in peoples quest for more chin ups. Check out the 70 year old below...

EV1981

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Sorry but I have to disagree with using the assisted Pullup machine or bands. The best way to get good at pullups is to do dead hang pullups with strict form and no assistance. I used to work out on an assisted Pullup machine and when my gym was remodeled, the manager got rid of it. I complained that I could only do pullups with the assist, and he told me to man-up and start doing the exercise on a plain Pullup bar without assistance. It was the best thing that could have happened for my ability to do pullups. At first I could only do 2 or 3 in a set before dropping off the bar, but before long I was up to 10, and eventually 20 in a set. Would never have happened if I’d kept on relying on the assisted Pullup machine. So the best advice I got, and the best advice I can give to others, is to man-up and do sets of however many pullups you can without assistance.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Sorry but I have to disagree with using the assisted Pullup machine or bands. The best way to get good at pullups is to do dead hang pullups with strict form and no assistance. I used to work out on an assisted Pullup machine and when my gym was remodeled, the manager got rid of it. I complained that I could only do pullups with the assist, and he told me to man-up and start doing the exercise on a plain Pullup bar without assistance. It was the best thing that could have happened for my ability to do pullups. At first I could only do 2 or 3 in a set before dropping off the bar, but before long I was up to 10, and eventually 20 in a set. Would never have happened if I’d kept on relying on the assisted Pullup machine. So the best advice I got, and the best advice I can give to others, is to man-up and do sets of however many pullups you can without assistance.
More than one way to do it as long as it works. Some Start by doing just the negative Portion of a pull up. Which was mentioned too.