a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to climb a rope ....

Ex-Pongo

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Scotland
He's actually a major, joined at 17 was in the 3rd company, Pink Floyd knows him as well.

I like hearing those kind of things. Shows the Legion really does look after it people if they are willing to fully embrace her ethos.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
I like hearing those kind of things. Shows the Legion really does look after it people if they are willing to fully embrace her ethos.
He met the qualifying time for the 400 metres Olympics, his father or grandfather was the French army decathlon champion. Other than sport there wasn't much point in asking/ordering him to do anything.
Just saying đź‘€

Crawdad

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
He met the qualifying time for the 400 metres Olympics, his father or grandfather was the French army decathlon champion. Other than sport there wasn't much point in asking/ordering him to do anything.
Just saying đź‘€

Had a Lieutenant in my Company at Ft. Carson that was sort of like that. He came to us from the WCAP (World class Athlete Program), an Army program that allows soldiers who qualify the opportunity to compete/train for US olympic teams. (The US Olympic training centre is in Colorado Springs).

Not sure what old boy's event was, but it had something to do with running; dude could run the 2 mile (3.2k) in sub 11 minutes, even at altitude. He was a gazelle.

Of course, tactically/technically, he was incompetent. Homeboy got 'cashiered' after his first patrol outside the wire.

Ex-Pongo

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Scotland
Just saying đź‘€

He's French?

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Not sure what old boy's event was, but it had something to do with running; dude could run the 2 mile (3.2k) in sub 11 minutes, even at altitude. He was a gazelle.

Se he was world class athlete or close to that? That's way I'm pissed when guys who are preparing for FFL come here and tell us that they can easily pull out time like that. I mean world record is 5000 m for 12:37 so it could be run much better, but let's be realistic if you can run close to that why would you need legion or any army. You can be runer and make much more money and fame.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Just saying đź‘€
needs to find a squat rack ..just saying. surprised at his leg development TBH, most sprinters & 400 metres runners have more mass on their thighs. Has big arms & good lats but that´s it. Is he not the guy who did the assault course against the street jumper ?
Box squats..

Last edited:
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
That's him. And when he took the test it was years ago.
yeah..thought that. not slagging him off looks a fit guy but not balanced. The Legs need more training than upper body in later years.
you hear of many athletes losing their legs, boxers, track,...Bodybuilders.

Last edited:

Crawdad

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
So he was world class athlete or close to that?

I need to call an old buddy of mine who knew him better to fill in more of the details, but from memory:

Yes; as I mentioned earlier, this LT was previously part of the WCAP. He wasn't a West Point graduate or prior enlisted, so I'm guessing he used the Army's ROTC program to pay for college. (Which is one of a number of ways guys can serve and get money for college, but that's beside the point).
I'm not sure why he didn't get an athletic scholarship; if I had to guess, I'd say he played the wrong sports in high school (Basketball or Football instead of, you know. running track).

AFAIK, the Army probably figured out the guy could run like the wind by the time he went to EOBC (Engineer Officer Basic Course) at Ft. Leonard Wood. From there, he went to the WCAP for a while, and later (summer 2007) was assigned to our company. Word was that big Army disbanded the WCAP--- but looking into it, I think the LT just didn't make the cut. 2 Miles in less than 11 minutes is fast, but not olympic fast.

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
The Marine Corps has the same, there are special athletes and Master Sergeant Gibson comes to mind, he was a wrestler and he competed in several Olympic games and world championships. We have many teams where the Marines get tasked to and that's all they do. My best Friend's brother was on the All Marine Boxing team back with the Sphinx Brothers, yep, the Sphinx brothers were Marines

Ex-Pongo

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Scotland
Se he was world class athlete or close to that? That's way I'm pissed when guys who are preparing for FFL come here and tell us that they can easily pull out time like that. I mean world record is 5000 m for 12:37 so it could be run much better, but let's be realistic if you can run close to that why would you need legion or any army. You can be runer and make much more money and fame.

No disagreement there, but I could have been an artist. But I chose the army. Some people just feel the calling. It's hard to explain but for those that have heard it, they know what I mean.

Ex-Pongo

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Scotland
The Marine Corps has the same, there are special athletes and Master Sergeant Gibson comes to mind, he was a wrestler and he competed in several Olympic games and world championships. We have many teams where the Marines get tasked to and that's all they do. My best Friend's brother was on the All Marine Boxing team back with the Sphinx Brothers, yep, the Sphinx brothers were Marines

I trained with some USMC boxers in Afghan. Was a painful lesson but very enjoyable :)

Ex-Pongo

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Scotland
Yes he's French.

Ah cool. I understand French can join the FFL but the brief time I was in Aubagne, the Gestapo Sergeant-Chef was very cold towards the Frog EVs'. Apparently he said (in French) 'Don't you have your own army to join?'.
I assume this attitude is the exception rather than the rule?

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I trained with some USMC boxers in Afghan. Was a painful lesson but very enjoyable :)
My best friends brother was in the Marine Corps in the 1970s. He was on the all Marine Boxing Team with Leon and Michael Sphinx, they became world champs. Gary was a Combat Engineer, but you would not have wanted him setting demo charges.....