QUESTION How would you summarize these reasons for joining?

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Brazil
Hello everyone. I don't remember if i mentioned this in my Introduction, but i have two main reasons for joining. These reasons complement each other.
However, i am a bit concerned at how long it would take to tell them to the guy who receives me at the door/the recruiters. I ask you something: How long do you actually have to state your reasons? Is it 3 minutes or 30? To how many people will you have to tell?

If it's 30, time enough to tell my life's story, no problem, disregard this thread.
However, being 3 or 30, doesn't matter, i want to be direct, leave no room for doubt except specific questions and at the same time, show somethign different to what the recruiter would hear daily; i want them understand why i want to join right on; be effective, save time.
Here are my reasons:

1) I want to be part of something greater, i want to be part of a group, i feel thrilled at working together and depending on other people as much as they depend on you. I want to live in a place with order, discipline, companionship.
2) I despise the civilian world. The hipocrisy, the selfishness, the dog-eat-dog mentality; The media posing as carriers of truth while using psychological tactics to guide the masses subcounciously (so much for free press). The notion of working in a 9-5 job to sustain a fake economy while your rewards are cellphones, video-games, shitty TV programs. Even if you're rich, the notion of indulging in excessive materialism sickens me.

Combining those two reasons, i thought of answering the question ''Why do you want to join the Legion?'' like this:
- I want to be part of something greater than myself, i want to be part of a group where everyone works together, where there is order, discipline and companionship; The civilian world is selfish and bureaucratic, i want to live far away from that.

Would you guys do any differently? Do that stand out somehow or is it impactful/shows my intentions? If you were a recruiter, how would you take those words? Crazy? Reasonable?

Thanks for all your help.

jonny

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Norway
Hi Wolf,
That all sounds fine to me as an introduction to your reasons for wantingto join the Legion. I like it all myself, but be prepared for questions to further probe into those reasons. Think of such possible questions and prepare good answers in your mind.
Good luck, mate!

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
Wolf listen mate, If you were an actor who had learned his lines by rote (by heart) and that was all you had to say into the camera OK. But as Jonny points out, they will ask you other questions, going deeper into the reason why you want to join. Whatever you do, do not change your answers. You can of course modify them but you can not say one minute' white' and then the next 'black.'

OP
W
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Brazil
Wolf listen mate, If you were an actor who had learned his lines by rote (by heart) and that was all you had to say into the camera OK. But as Jonny points out, they will ask you other questions, going deeper into the reason why you want to join. Whatever you do, do not change your answers. You can of course modify them but you can not say one minute' white' and then the next 'black.'
Hmm...do you think going ''with the flow'' of the questions asked by fundamentally knowing WHY i want to join, would be a better way? Like, being calm but knowing and answering naturally when i am asked? Instead of decorating a line.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
To get back to your original question : will it be 3 or 30 minutes, it will be a lot longer than 30 minutes and several times. You have to remember that part of that process will decide if the legion will be willing to give you a weapon with live ammunition and let you patrol the streets of Paris or send you to some far off place such as Afghanistan or Mali for months on end.

OP
W
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Brazil
To get back to your original question : will it be 3 or 30 minutes, it will be a lot longer than 30 minutes and several times. You have to remember that part of that process will decide if the legion will be willing to give you a weapon with live ammunition and let you patrol the streets of Paris or send you to some far off place such as Afghanistan or Mali for months on end.
So i guess this answers it. Knowing deep down why i want to join will make all answers come naturally and without producing second-thoughts

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
Your answer should be honest and from the heart. If you have to devise a story of some sort then keep it short and sweet. Then hopefully you won't be tripped up.

I call it the want factor. Show that you have got it and you are half way there.

That is how as a callow youth I was accepted, subsequently to be trained by former WW commandos and win their Coveted Green Beret.

OP
W
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Brazil
Your answer should be honest and from the heart. If you have to devise a story of some sort then keep it short and sweet. Then hopefully you won't be tripped up.

I call it the want factor. Show that you have got it and you are half way there.

That is how as a callow youth I was accepted, subsequently to be trained by former WW commandos and win their Coveted Green Beret.
Thank you Chas!

Most viewed threads of the week