a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I need help with this one.

Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Hypothetically speaking I may not be able to enter France as the country is bringing in the ETIAS visa sh$t in 2021. I may or may not have done some prison time for aggravated robbery. The mental, physical and intellectual tests don't bother me , or the fact that I'll be away from family and friends for 5 or more years of my life, it's the entering France bit that bothers me . If and when i do , are there things I can do to assure safe passage? Declare or not declare? And if immigration do grant me entry on a 90 day visa with knowledge of my record (which is limited, small as f*ck record) will they keep the Legion in the loop about my past?
Honestly I'm dead set on coming but I want some info. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
1. What is exactly “aggravated robbery”?
2. Are you expecting to be sentenced for time in prison and if yes how long would that be?
3. What is your current situation? Can you legally leave NZ now or have the authorities confiscated your passport?

Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
1. Aggravated robbery is a serious crime that involves not only a theft, but also injuries to the victim. ... Aggravated robbery means the robber was armed with a deadly weapon, had an accomplice, or actually inflicted serious bodily harm on the victim. (in this case i was accompanied with a associate "hypothetically speaking").
2. I may be on parole as we speak, I finish in 2021 .

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Jack Jack Reacher,

Welcome to the forum. I suggest that you complete your parole period without re-offending and then attempt to join. By then your slate will be clean. Also in certain aspects you might be an ideal candidate. Eg wanting a new life etc.

Good luck.

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
Do you know if the sentence will be mentioned on your legal records? If yes, I would advise not to lie if/when you show up for selection in France. There's a non-negligible probability that the Legion DSPLE (aka “the Gestapo”) will find it out, one way or another, and being caught lying during the security interview means you'll be given the boot right away. On the other hand, not sure however how they will react if/when you disclose your conviction. If anybody was badly hurt during the armed robbery (let alone if the victim was killed), they may consider this as too serious a crime to let you in. Hard to tell...
First hurdle however will be to get a visa, if you need one to enter France. What you can do is find out what are the documents you need to provide and see if the legal records are among them. In the interim, get fit and start learning basic French, this will be helpulf. How old will you be in 2021?

jonny

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Norway
Aggravated robbery, eh? Nah, just stay in NZ, I reckon the Legion doesn’t want your kind of person. The Foreign Legion not Hell's Angels on camels. And they don’t ‘give everybody a second chance’... If you screwed up your first chance, you go and fix it yourself.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Do you know if the sentence will be mentioned on your legal records? If yes, I would advise not to lie if/when you show up for selection in France. There's a non-negligible probability that the Legion DSPLE (aka “the Gestapo”) will find it out, one way or another, and being caught lying during the security interview means you'll be given the boot right away. On the other hand, not sure however how they will react if/when you disclose your conviction. If anybody was badly hurt during the armed robbery (let alone if the victim was killed), they may consider this as too serious a crime to let you in. Hard to tell...
First hurdle however will be to get a visa, if you need one to enter France. What you can do is find out what are the documents you need to provide and see if the legal records are among them. In the interim, get fit and start learning basic French, this will be helpulf. How old will you be in 2021?
I of course don't know for sure but I did see a film where they said armed robbery no chance because they think you are too dangerous.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
I would not agree with that sexeret. Yes I watched that and other films where they say they don't take criminals (only petty ones like myself ;)). What you expect them to say in front of camera? I think that unless you have international arrest warrant ... you should take a shut. I'm not saying that they would take just anyone ... but one should try.
Of Course me first wouldn't like to serve with hard core criminal. but if someone made mistake once and did not repeated ... I don't consider that person to be an criminal.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I would not agree with that sexeret. Yes I watched that and other films where they say they don't take criminals (only petty ones like myself ;)). What you expect them to say in front of camera? I think that unless you have international arrest warrant ... you should take a shut. I'm not saying that they would take just anyone ... but one should try.
Of Course me first wouldn't like to serve with hard core criminal. but if someone made mistake once and did not repeated ... I don't consider that person to be an criminal.
Well i don't know & you don’t.. Armed robber can't See them taking him. Just my opinion.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
By New Zealand law Aggravated robbery is robbery committed by more than one person, or with a weapon, or where a victim is grievously injured.
As I understand Kiwi didn't have a gun just had an associate. But let see what he says.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
By New Zealand law Aggravated robbery is robbery committed by more than one person, or with a weapon, or where a victim is grievously injured.
As I understand Kiwi didn't have a gun just had an associate. But let see what he says.
Just Google that? 😁 Maybe he will be lucky.. Who knows? Don’t know the guy so the legion will decide. Of course maybe he is not puting up The full story on here. I would not if i was him. Thiefs are also not good in the army. Sticky Fingers

Surfguy

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I would say you wont get into the Legion if you declare armed robbery , better to enter Europe via another country the travel overland where theres no border control , that way if you declare your past to the country of entry possibly it wont be on file in France .
Theres only one way to find out.

edit:
You may want to get a full visa as well as using the waiver program leaves you open to being turned around at the airport.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
1. Aggravated robbery is a serious crime that involves not only a theft, but also injuries to the victim. ... Aggravated robbery means the robber was armed with a deadly weapon, had an accomplice, or actually inflicted serious bodily harm on the victim. (in this case i was accompanied with a associate "hypothetically speaking").
2. I may be on parole as we speak, I finish in 2021 .
Keep in mind, some feedback you get on here is just an opinion of the responder. Some have first hand experience, some do not.

I will say this, I messaged back and forth with a guy on Reddit who has said he knows of some with your type of background.

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Just Google that? 😁 Maybe he will be lucky.. Who knows? Don’t know the guy so the legion will decide. Of course maybe he is not puting up The full story on here. I would not if i was him. Thiefs are also not good in the army. Sticky Fingers
Nothing wrong with armed blaggers and thief’s, you don’t sh$t on your own patch or from dwelling houses or your own it’s the people with no moral compass that give good old villains a bad name!

Last edited by a moderator:

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
It's more or less the same law in France, Vol aggravé (commited by 2 persons or more) and can lead to a heavier charge that they call, association de malfaiteurs.

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Aggravated robbery can also be defined with the perpetrator using unnecessary force with or without a weapon!